Pelikan To Discontinue Bb, 3B And All Oblique Nibs

Sach

...Intriguing situation..

Fred

I have never known such a bunch of troublemakers in my life..

~ Bernard Knox

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sach

• georges zaslavsky

• Ghost Plane

• Tombstone

I favor EF and F nibs. More recently I have ventured into M and medium italics nibs. I don't think I'd ever use the nibs being discontinued but I don't know and am disheartened that I won't have these options in the future.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

As already stated, the information is already one year in the past, and based on my contacts it's still just regarding the Oblique-nibs.

Regarding BB, BBB and Ef I have no additional information.

Regarding the BB in the M205DUO: this will for sure be produced also in the future - it's part of the product, this FP doesn't make much sense with a smaller nib...

Regarding the discontinued nibs: they stll have lot's of them on stock, so if you need it, you will still get it.

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

I just phoned Hanover and it seems to look like this:

{1} Yes, the production of OM, OB, OBB, and O3B nibs was already stopped in 2012. That means that you can't buy any of these nibs or any pen with such a nib from Pelikan online, or get your vendor to order one from Pelikan. Of course, any store online or offline might still have one which they'll sell you, but if you want the nib alone, make sure that you get one which will fit into your pen (w/a see Richard's Nib Interchangeability Chart).

{2} BB and 3B nibs are apparently still being manufactured. Pelikan's service department said that that these, too, may someday be discontinued but they aren't already aware of that. You or your store can still order such a nib from Pelikan.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for that, Mike.

"In his physiognomy there were what seemed traces of many passions which his will had disciplined but which seemed to have frozen those features they had now ceased to animate."

Il Nome della Rosa, Umberto Eco

mottishaw has an important stock of pelikan nibs http://www.nibs.com/PelikanNibsAvailableForCusto.htm if not order one and get it customized, other solution is to buy a second hand pen with the desired nib

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Their modern obliques are rather blobby. Pity they couldn't redesign. I'm glad I won't lose my BB and 3Bs, especially in the 1000s. They're wonderful.

Looks like I'll be buying MBs instead. :rolleyes:

Their modern obliques are rather blobby. Pity they couldn't redesign. I'm glad I won't lose my BB and 3Bs, especially in the 1000s. They're wonderful.

You can have the modern obliques reworked by Masumaya or Mottishaw, but knowing that you love stubs, it is natural that you will buy either anOBB or BBB from MB or Visconti ;)

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

149 with an O3B nib :puddle: You know you want one!

Smith Premier No. 4

Yeah, I do. Visconti doesn't do obliques and I've got every Ripple and Skeleton I can afford, so that leaves MB unless I spend more than I already do on Mike. I'm kind of hooked on Delta stubs as their pens seem to have the reliability and capacity that so many others are lacking + gorgeous materials. Omas has lovely stubs, but the cost is nearly double. I treated myself to a CS bespoke Churchill in Amethyst back when they had their bodacious deal on specialty rods. :wub:

I seem to hear a special order MB calling my name... :puddle: :notworthy1: but lack the funding for now. :gaah:

I'd love RikWill's latest CS enamel beauties with an IB, but they've soared far above my budget. :( :( :(

I initially got an email from pelikanpens uk, which I followed up with an email to Pelikan to confirm, which I've pasted below.

"Yes, it is true that we will discontinue these nibs and take them from the standard collection. The overall demand globally was so low that we decided to take this step. For the M205 Duo Highlighter (steel nib), we will continue to offer the size BB because you need this size to mark texts.

Freundliche Gruesse / Best regards
Christiane Witt
Group Intercompany Order Management
Customer Service Export

At the end it's just "we will for sure not buy it, but we want to have the POSSIBILITY to buy it".

A couple of months ago I bought a used M1000 with an O3B - after just a few lines I found out that this is not my kind of writing.

Actually this M1000 has the 5th (!) owner after I sold it - everybody wants to try it, but nobody wants to keep it...

Don't get me wrong: there might be writers who love this - but I know just one, and she already has what she needs. Keeping a product on the market just for a handful of customers? Difficult... and just yesterday I spoke to the ladies in my favourite pen shop (after buying an M800 Tortoise with an IB :wub: ) and they confirmed: they have to change nearly every O-nib they sell, because most people just "heard" about it - and afterwards they want an M...

From my point of view p.e. Visconti does it right - they have the standard nibs and the stub. Period. Might be a solution for Pelikan: an IB for every Souverän...

Yeah, I do. Visconti doesn't do obliques and I've got every Ripple and Skeleton I can afford, so that leaves MB unless I spend more than I already do on Mike. I'm kind of hooked on Delta stubs as their pens seem to have the reliability and capacity that so many others are lacking + gorgeous materials. Omas has lovely stubs, but the cost is nearly double. I treated myself to a CS bespoke Churchill in Amethyst back when they had their bodacious deal on specialty rods. :wub:

I seem to hear a special order MB calling my name... :puddle: :notworthy1: but lack the funding for now. :gaah:

I'd love RikWill's latest CS enamel beauties with an IB, but they've soared far above my budget. :( :( :(

Just be patient and you will have a Rikwill enameled CS, if not ask Bry what he can do for you

At the end it's just "we will for sure not buy it, but we want to have the POSSIBILITY to buy it".

A couple of months ago I bought a used M1000 with an O3B - after just a few lines I found out that this is not my kind of writing.

Actually this M1000 has the 5th (!) owner after I sold it - everybody wants to try it, but nobody wants to keep it...

Don't get me wrong: there might be writers who love this - but I know just one, and she already has what she needs. Keeping a product on the market just for a handful of customers? Difficult... and just yesterday I spoke to the ladies in my favourite pen shop (after buying an M800 Tortoise with an IB :wub: ) and they confirmed: they have to change nearly every O-nib they sell, because most people just "heard" about it - and afterwards they want an M...

From my point of view p.e. Visconti does it right - they have the standard nibs and the stub. Period. Might be a solution for Pelikan: an IB for every Souverän...

Superb analysis.

I have been disappointed with every stock rounded modern oblique I tried. My favorite is an M1000 O3B that someone Ground to Italic Recently I bought an English Duofold AF with italic oblique broad, superb!

I think pelikan should bring back the italic obliques, people might retain them.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I've already got every Pelikan nib in the M800 including and above a medium. I accept that the obliques are more of a novelty then good every day writers for the bulk of users. I've only recently discovered the joys of a stub nib, and wanted to explore the full range of customisation a that are offered and thought that the BB 3B would be good stock nibs to start with.

I've already ordered a spare BB and 3B nibs for the M800, and plan to locate a few spares for the M1000 as well. 3Bs are already hard to come by.

I do hope that Pelikan come to their senses, and listen to our enthusiast concerns..

I really enjoy writing with my BB nib... I think it's the wide choices of nibs that sets Pelikan apart from other brands. It would be a bad business move for Pelikan if they go ahead with these plans.

Sounds like the decision makes perfect sense to me.

Great they are discontinuing the broad nibs that don't sell.

Very rational decision, shows that managment is on top of it.

They can then redirect their resources to the stuff that sells.

I am glad they discontinued the Broads and Obiques, have no use for them myself so no loss.

YMMV

I've never understood why Pelikan cripples the less expensive Souveräne with a very limited range of nibs. No straight italic, as such, until you're spending several hundred pounds. It's as though italicists came in only two varieties - people with plenty of disposable income (M800) and impoverished art students (Pelikan Script) - with no one in between.

I was seriously interested in a Souverän a few years ago, but I resented having to chase a bigger and more expensive pen than I wanted, just to get anything that was either italic or broad enough for customisation. And so I lost all interest in Pelikan, and the interest has never come back.

What I have heard, the Italics exist also in smaller pens - but they do not sell them in Europe.

Don't ask me why...

But on the other hand: everything underneath the M800 is too small for me - so I don't really care...