If Your Friends All Jumped Off A Cliff...

TheGreatRoe

I really dislike the styling of the Lamy Safari.

I love the styling of the Safari. Well, the opaque colors look like color markers, BUT the transparent Vista with a red converter in it is stunning!

What I don't really like is their nibs. I cannot understand why people keep saying they are so good. And why they keep recommending them to newbies. At half the price, Pilot makes a pen that -ok, i know- it doesn't look all that good, but it offers a (by far) superior writing experience.

Now, if only I could put a Pilot M nib on my Vista.... :rolleyes:

Edited by inotrym

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dj Shift

• jar

• corniche

• Florida Blue

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A cliff? Perhaps that was where my friends were bound on the bus they threw me under...

But I digress.

I'm swimming against this current by saying that I rather like my Lamy Vista. It's a good pen for me and it handles beating well, and when you have two bags and a violin case and a garment bag to juggle on public transport, not having to worry about pens is a must. I also like the fact that I can check the ink level without unscrewing the barrel.

I'm rather fond of my Lamy, er, Lamys, er--how the heck do you form the plural of Lamy? At any rate, I like my Safari and AL-stars, too. They're the A-10s of fountain pens. They may no bet the sleekest, or the prettiest, planes in the hangar, but they are tough, reliable, and they do what they do very well.

Despite what people say, I know they mean well but Goulet's packing is a bit... excessive. It's only a continental trip for most customers, but the packages I receive have so much wrapping it'll probably survive a nuclear event. I had to unwrap yards of blue cellophane for the previous one.

I like the massive redundancy in the packing, personally. I just opened a box from them yesterday, and it was an aerobic workout unwinding the plastic wrap, sure, but, leaving aside the benefits of exercise, and the ripping-wrap-on-Christmas-Morning fun of it, not an item inside showed the slightest sign of distress from it's coast-to-coast trip. I'd much rather work at the wrapping for half an hour with that outcome, than cut the tape on a box to find the contents rattling around loose inside, scuffed, scraped, bent and busted, with a deflated packing balloon rustling about as a formality. (Which I have all too often when dealing with a certain Riverine Online Retailer.)

Yeah, the Disco was my second choice. Owned quite a few Alfa's over the years but neither of those.

Which ones have you owned? Being in NY, the only Alfa i've ever seen was a Spyder. I'm going to try to get a Guilietta after i get a Rolls Royce. Maybe i'll get a project Guilietta though to have some fun with it and make it how i like. I'll always take a Red alfa with smoked brown interior and a nice bright chrome engine. Everything stock though (or remade stock-like). Eventually i plan on getting a Disco Volante but i'll need to bring a few million dollars for it because it wont be a cheap one.

I love the styling of the Safari. Well, the opaque colors look like color markers, BUT the transparent Vista with a red converter in it is stunning!

What I don't really like is their nibs. I cannot understand why people keep saying they are so good. And why they keep recommending them to newbies. At half the price, Pilot makes a pen that -ok, i know- it doesn't look all that good, but it offers a (by far) superior writing experience.

Now, if only I could put a Pilot M nib on my Vista.... :rolleyes:

In clear with the red converter i do agree it looks a lot better. I hadn't ever seen that yet. I just dont like bright opaque colors really so that's what i was basing my opinion on. I'm not really a massive fan of the double wire clip though. I wish they used normal clips but it does look better in chrome on the clear one.

With reference to pen trim being called *furniture*, in XVII century the mouvement called *Preciosite* began in the French salons among the social elite. The word means *Affectation* and aimed at some sort of pompous, pedantic style of language which was satirised by Moliere is one of his plays in which *teeth* were referred to as *L'ameublement de la bouche*, literally *the furniture of the mouth*.

( if you don't mind a pompous, pedantic, know-it-all post )

Which ones have you owned? Being in NY, the only Alfa i've ever seen was a Spyder. I'm going to try to get a Guilietta after i get a Rolls Royce. Maybe i'll get a project Guilietta though to have some fun with it and make it how i like. I'll always take a Red alfa with smoked brown interior and a nice bright chrome engine. Everything stock though (or remade stock-like). Eventually i plan on getting a Disco Volante but i'll need to bring a few million dollars for it because it wont be a cheap one.

Bunch, like I said. Had a neat white boattail 1750 dual carbs and 10mil cams Spyder, Berlina (family car), early Bertone styled GTV, Gullia, Guilietta, 2600 but only for a short time. But any Alfa is a project car. Used to keep spare head gaskets in the boot along with a torque wrench so I could change head gaskets on the road.

Course they were also easy enough to work on that you could change a head gasket on the road.

My Website

I find cartridge/converter demonstrators silly.

I don't generally like gold trim, but I think Pelikan pens may be the exception (though I would prefer the blue/silver to green/gold).

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

I like Noodlers. I don't care about Iroshihzuku or any of the other fancy inks. Parker Blue-Black is still my favorite blue-black. I'm still annoyed that Waterman changed their ink line a few years ago. I'm not a paper primadonna, but I use nice paper to write to people with. I don't care care about feathering or nib creep, but I don't like bleedthrough. I like black pens, and stainless steel pens, but I do own a Safari and I like it. Don't like gold or silver pens, even overlays. I don't care if a pen has a clip.I don't like bands on the barrel of a pen that I can feel. I don't like the Pilot VP or the Lamy 2000. I want my pens to post so I don't like the ones that don't. Why won't the Waterman Charleston post? Great pen, annoying cap, adios pen. I like demonstrators, but not c/c filler demonstrators. I love the Eversharp Symphony but not the Skyline. I don't understand the purpose of XF or XXF nibs. I like nibs with character but not nibs that talk back to me while i am writing.

Much Love--Virginia

Bunch, like I said. Had a neat white boattail 1750 dual carbs and 10mil cams Spyder, Berlina (family car), early Bertone styled GTV, Gullia, Guilietta, 2600 but only for a short time. But any Alfa is a project car. Used to keep spare head gaskets in the boot along with a torque wrench so I could change head gaskets on the road.

Course they were also easy enough to work on that you could change a head gasket on the road.

I love the 2600. Why'd you get rid of it?

i have nothing against ball point pens and i think they write fine for most occasions.

I agree

but I don't like demonstrators either- that is why I'll never own a TWSBI, (or whatever their letters are), because they only seem to make transparent pens.

Apparently, not liking demonstrators is not uncommon at all. I'm not fond of demonstrators, either.

OT and FYI, here's an exception to the TWSBI rule

http://www.twsbi.com/product.php?id_product=31

Looks like it would feel quite good in my hand. I have heard it's easy to stain the handle if you fill it normally using the converter. The TWSBI Mini also comes in black. Perhaps more opaque TWSBIs will come in future.

My departures from what I think are the prevailing opinions are

1. I don't care for the look of the Parker 51 or for using hooded nibs in general.

2. I think Iroshizuku inks are just average.

3. I don't particularly like flexible and semi-flexible nibs.

Edited by mhosea

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

To get a Mini Cooper 1275, Humber Super Snipe and BMW 1600 a guy was selling.

Oh, i would've kept the 2600 but 3 cars isn't bad either.

Oh, i would've kept the 2600 but 3 cars isn't bad either.

The 2600 was pretty much a dog, inline 6 but also heavy car. It just never felt like an Alfa.

My Website

Hello Gabrielle,

Yes, there are all kinds of ways to keep fit and also to have fits here on FPN. :D

Yes, all inks are indeed wet- but some are "wet" like a good martini or a true ginger ale, (not that overly sweet Vernors syrup); while others are "wet" like root beer. See what I mean?

All the best,

Sean :)

Yes, well -- Vernors wasn't necessarily intended for you folks south of the border :lticaptd:

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

TWSBI is Taiwanese. ROC =/= PRC.

You beat me to it. Unlike the mainland China brands, TWSBi is not a barely disguised (if you keep your eyes closed) copy. It is a product and brand to itself, Made in Taiwan.

Moshe ben David

Hello P&P,

Well, it isn't the pen itself that people refer to as "furniture," the term is typically applied to parts such as cap bands, pocket clips, etc. You can still make a technical argument that these things can be called "furniture" because they enhance the comfort and utility of the pen; however, that will not stop me from calling it trim because it still strikes me as ridiculous to refer to these things as "furniture," it also sounds a bit pompous.

If people want to run around and call these things furniture, that's up to them, but I never shall. ;)

All the best,

Sean :)

* Edit: As usual, caught typo and corrected it.

Folks we may be dealing here with the phenom of England vs the US "... two nations separated by a common (?) language ..." I suspect usage of the term 'furniture' for the trim started on the other side of the Atlantic (the pond for y'all over there....).

Moshe ben David

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my thought for the day.......I prefer the Lamy Studio with steel nib to the Lamy 2000 with gold nib