Waterman South Seas Blue

saskia_madding

People talk about this ink all the time, so I was really curious about what the fuss was all about.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Waterman/DSC10732_zps4bf6db59.jpg

I do like it, it's a nice colour.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Waterman/DSC10733_zps8967b289.jpg

It looks great on Rhodia and CF paper ...

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Waterman/DSC10735_zps91030bf2.jpg

... and has nice shading.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Waterman/DSC10736_zpsa6bdaa10.jpg

Overall it is a nice ink and I do like it, but I generally prefer something with more of a "wow!" factor.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Waterman/DSC10740_zpsc515464c.jpg

More photos in my review album here.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• saskia_madding

• simar

• dot

Diamine Asa or Mediterranean Blues would suit me better. Also, I've a bottle of Kon-Peki if needed. Think I'll stick to them. Obviously your review is fine but just not my colour.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I've always liked this one and use it a lot . I agree , "it's a solid turquoise", but I also like the fact that it's not too bright and gaudy . Thanks for the review .

SSB or whatever it is now (Inspired Blue, I think?) was my first full bottle ink purchase so I think I'm emotionally attached.

My first 'fancy' ink too.

So what turquoises do you use with more shading.

Always interested in major shading.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Private Reserve Daphne blue is a close match to South Sea Blue

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I've used this ink for years with no problems and still love it. It's my standard for turquoise. I'm not happy with the name change by Waterman for this ink, however!

Hi,

Thanks for yet another great Review!

This is one of those inks that somehow falls just short of what I like in a Turquoise ink. It must be that I fell in love with Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise first, so the bar was set very high. A bit too high for Waterman it seems.

Bye,

S1

EDIT - to add: I l♡ve to receive letters written with this ink!!

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I'm split, too. I also find that a bit of pizzazz is missing somewhere, but I still find it fascinating to use it (every now and then) simply because it reminds me of my primary school days back in the 50s. Unfortunately, we never experienced so much shading in those days.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Also, the renamings now turn me almost completely off.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

The second bottle of ink I ever purchased after Waterman Florida Blue was South Seas blue. It's a very pretty color but at the time it didn't fit my writing needs. I was thinking the other day that for a person that wasn't a big fan of turquoise inks I sure had quite a few bottles! When my wife came home from a trip and gave me my new favorite pen (Opera Master size special edition Typhoon) I searched my ink shelf for an ink that looked like it fit with the light blue shading in the Typhoon blue coloring of this pen. It hit me that way back in the shelf, unused for better than 5+ years was this nearly full bottle of Waterman SSB. It was perfect and I have really enjoyed using it this week. So your review is very timely and much enjoyed!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I love this ink and pretty much every turquoise I can get my hands on. Brightens my mood without fail. And the name, South Seas Blue, conveys such warmth and light. "Inspired" Blue? To do what? Rename a line of fountain pen inks? Pfft!

I like all turquoise inks.This is one of the old standbys that has been around for quite awhile.Nice review.