Hero's Safari Clone

wieniawski

From what I've read the hero safari was originally created in response to distribution issues and huge markups going on with lamy in china. So while price differences between the two might be negligible in other markets, in its home market the cost vs performance ratio of the hero safari might make a lot more sense.

That is in my opinion not a valid reason to make this shameless copy. This is not even about stealing a good idea. It seems as if the Hero Pen Compnay doesn't have ideas of its own in the field of product design.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• TSherbs

• wieniawski

• Moshe ben David

That is in my opinion not a valid reason to make this shameless copy. This is not even about stealing a good idea. It seems as if the Hero Pen Compnay doesn't have ideas of its own in the field of product design.

:thumbup:

Maybe if you read some comments further up it will become clear. And again, I find nothing 'shameless' about the Hero Summer Colors, apart from the fact that I had to pay $18 for my first one. ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Sounds a lot like American car manufacturers after Asia kicked their butts for decades in manufacturing the "Lamy's" of the car industry. Now I can't tell many of the sedan models apart.

fpn_1310994277__deadhorse.gif

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Ethics is a matter of subjectivity.

In The West, we are encouraged (in school) to think for ourselves, write opinion papers, analyze events, and it is pounded into us to always give credit for our work. Failing to credit a source in a professional setting can ruin a career.

In China, school children are taught that they have no good, original ideas. In order to become smarter, they must copy other, greater people. In fact, if you are someone worth copying, you should feel flattered. Blatant copying is common within China, and no one really sees it as a reprehensible act.

Although there are copyright laws in China, anyone trying to pursue a copyright case there is up against a lot of challenges. If anyone even takes you seriously enough to respond, the punishments for infringing copyright are barely a slap on the wrist. Microsoft went up against a Chinese company a few years ago for some $30 million in damages. They were rewarded less than $300. Apple products are blatantly copied (look up "ChinaPad" on google) and as sue-happy as Apple is against other tech companies, they have done nothing to challenge a single Chinese company. That should tell us something. LAMY would be wasting time and money by going after Hero, even if their patents were still active.

On the plus side, most of these offenders do not market outside of China and some Eastern European countries, so it could be argued that they are targeting a different market. The problem, of course, is that technology has made the "target market" thing kind of irrelevant.

As for the pen, I am curious to see how it stacks up against the real thing once it makes it's way into the hands of FPN members. I'll look forward to a review...

Even more interesting -- I've seen articles in the business press about 'Apple stores' in China that are neither owned nor operated by Apple; even the stores were set up to look like a real Apple store!

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I don't really think Lamy Safari would lose any fan over the Hero. So far, the reviews on the clones are all somewhat negative (kind of consistent with their post-2000 production). For this release, Hero seems to Target the non-fountain pen users who like the look(just the look) of Safari but don't want to pay the price. Those are collectively known as Wenyi Qingnian (like Chinese Hipsters).

Here's a point to think about. We on FPN actually pay attention to details. The broader public doesn't. Whether for domestic use in China or if the Hero copies show up outside of China (in Asia or elsewhere), the lesser quality could in fact reflect back on Lamy from those who don't pay attention, thereby weakening Lamy's brand image. Further, I'd be willing to conjecture (in fact I'm about to...) that somewhere outside of FPN there would be reviewers looking at the two pens and assuming the Hero was made by agreement with Lamy, just because they'd assume Lamy had a relationship with Hero...

Not a good situation for Lamy!

Moshe ben David

I am so asking my family in China to get me one or a few of these. I already own and frequently use my Lamys but this is just too good, can't wait till a real 2000 clone. :notworthy1:

As opposed to a 'fake' clone?

Moshe ben David

China does have laws against the infringement of intellectual properties. Like many have pointed out, the Lamy patents have expired a long time ago. In another viewpoint, the retail prices of Lamy pens may be too expensive for most Chinese. European import goods are generally a lot more expensive in China, so the $27 cheap Lamy that you see here is not so cheap in China. Hero may have commissioned these clones with the intention of making the Lamy Safari type of pens available to all Chinese school students who can't afford to buy the real Lamys. What seems cheap to us here may be considered luxuries in other parts of the world.

Right, this is the point I am trying to make.

Fair enough, but if Hero's objective was to produce and market a pen the Chinese school students could afford, they did not need to so blatantly copy the design elements of Lamy's products. On the other hand, maybe their intent was to provide a living example of what piracy means?

Moshe ben David

Mine arrived the other day. I inked it up with R&K Verdigris. It works very well. The plastic on the pen is softer and scratches easier, and the pen is overall lighter.

Definitely one of Hero's best efforts to date, I can't help but wonder why they couldn't have come up with an original design that works this well...

If they did the marketing guys at Hero might actually have to work !

Moshe ben David

FPN lawyers... Don't try to talk copyright to Chinese... I am from Shanghai, the same city Hero was founded in. I am fine with Hero's rip-off Parker 51 and used for more than 5 years when I was a kid. Hero is in some big financial trouble these years and if this is the way they are heading... No comments.

Hero used to make cheap affordable one and quality gold nibs as well. I really hope they can out live themselves again. and no more stuff like this...

You acknowledge that Hero has produced and is selling a rip-off of the Parker 51. Yet you are "... fine ...." with this? What are thefts are you "fine" with?

Moshe ben David

I have to say that this Safari knock off makes my stomach turn. That members of this forum knowingly desire and purchase these pens astonishes me. This is theft, legal or not, of the intellectual property rights of a decent German firm that provides remunerative employment to its workers by selling an excellent product at low prices to global consumers. Why would you participate in such unethical business practice? Now that Isellpens is pushing these fake Safaris, I will begin to search for another online retailer.

+100 :notworthy1:

Moshe ben David

Segel,

I have tried to remain quiet regarding the Hero's Safari clone, but I now disagree with you. As some have stated, it is one thing to produce a pen which copies or is based on a long discontinued model, or which has an apparent likeness to a pen model which is practically generic, and another to copy a current in production model in such a way that only by direct comparison you can tell the differences. And this is particularly true of an iconic model such as the Safari.

And it may be lawful (or acceptable) in China, but once it is sold by dealers outside China I reserve the right to consider it as questionable practice if not unethical. Not that isellpens (one of my favorite sellers until he decided that he does not want my money - Li live in Greece and he is now stating that he will not ship here???) presents it as anything else than a clone but still ... How would you feel if it was an MB clone but with the star shaped somewhat differently? Would it be OK? I think that the Safari design may be more widely recognised than the MB star.

I think that in FPN we need to draw a line to blatant copying, whether it is legally protected or not. The fact that Lamy may decide not to try and pursue legally as I doubt that they have either the money or the presence to win in China, does not in my opinion makes any difference. Even MB is not actively protecting their designs in China and they are a much bigger company.

At least that is my opinion and each of us may (as we usually do) act according to our conscience.

well said!

Moshe ben David

Hero is a company that makes very low quality pens. This shameless copy also shows again that Hero isn't an innovative manufacturer that is capable of designing it's own pens. Hero deserves to go bankrupt.

Agreed!

Moshe ben David

Two things on this thread really bother me.

1. The number of participants who can't wait to get their hands on this Hero copy of the Safari;
  2. The way in which so many justify Hero selling a copy based on Lamy's pricing and their own experiences with Lamy nibs.

IMO, if Lamy pricing and/or quality have opened up an opportunity for a competitor in the niche occupied by the Safari, all to the good. But that competitor -- in this case Hero -- should offer up its own product rather than just a roughly (based on the reviews cited in the thread) copy that appears to use the major design elements of the Lamy. Hero has taken the dishonest approach by so blatantly copying the Safari. That is what is wrong with the situation.

And for those who excuse Hero's approach because China does not recognize IP or because 'Hero can't spend the money to do its own product' or 'Hero can't spend the money to do its own marketing' -- I don't buy it. Not in these modern times. Maybe 10 or 15 years ago. But now, I have sufficient respect for China's technological abilities that I do believe they can design their own product if they so choose. And if initially the pen was intended for the domestic market, they can market it there at local costs. They've chose the lazy way out -- to utilize the product image already developed by Lamy. I cannot respect that. Nor anyone who supports them (meaning from outside of China especially!) by buying this product or distributing it.

Moshe ben David

fpn_1310994277__deadhorse.gif

agree! to everyone: guys, this belongs in the Lamy sub-Forum... do not forget to wear a Kilt?

Edited by lovemy51

Here's a point to think about. We on FPN actually pay attention to details. The broader public doesn't. Whether for domestic use in China or if the Hero copies show up outside of China (in Asia or elsewhere), the lesser quality could in fact reflect back on Lamy from those who don't pay attention, thereby weakening Lamy's brand image. Further, I'd be willing to conjecture (in fact I'm about to...) that somewhere outside of FPN there would be reviewers looking at the two pens and assuming the Hero was made by agreement with Lamy, just because they'd assume Lamy had a relationship with Hero...

Not a good situation for Lamy!

The word HERO is incised on the pen, in enormous letters. And yes, the Summer Colors is now available outside of China.

I'm pretty sure anyone who can read will know the difference.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Haha I love these clones! They do copy everything, even cars and so on.
Where can i get a Hero?

Edited by inken

Where can i get a Hero?

Look on eBay

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Where can i get a Hero?

May you tell us which products the company make where you are employed?

So we can look out for cheap Far-East clones for it. ;)

How many unemployed people do you have currently in Germany? .... about 3 Millions..... Ohh, that sounds not good .........

I hope you are not getting one of them soon ......

Or are you too young to have a job....... In that case I hope you are able to get one in the future, ..... but don´t count on Lamy ... and don´t cross the border to Austria to get one if you are not able to find one, we already have a lot of Germans looking for a job here ....... ;)

Look instead for one in China.... But I guess you won't like the working conditions there.

Edited by Pterodactylus