Left-Handers Day: August 13Th

fiberdrunk

Only got 50% marks in today's test at the Cack Handed Assessment Centre Support Group. :(

I was fine cutting with the left handed scissors as they were a joy to use. However, I made a right "Orchestra Stalls" of the spuds with the left handed potato peeler. I've been told to stick to buying frozen oven chips.

Edited by Vendome

Long reign the House of Belmont.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fiberdrunk

• Scrawler

• Vendome

• GabrielleDuVent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would not have offended me. It would have been close but mild compared to the constant beating and verbal abuse they dished out to me. One would stand in front of me and hand me a pencil and every time I reached out with my left the other with a cane would strike me very hard on the hand or arm. They did not use the flat of the ruler, but the edge. They also slapped my face and called me vile names. They would also tie my left arm to my belt. Left-handedness is strong in my family. My younger brother went to a different school and he was allowed to remain left handed, though he never learned to write well. My daughter and a couple nieces are also sinistral.

Wow. I'm glad it's not like that any more (or I at least I hope it's not like that). I suspect we've gone to the other extreme, of barely teaching kids how to handwrite. With cursive on the way out, I doubt teachers are even thinking about handedness, let alone ways of teaching writing properly with either hand since it's no longer part of the formal curriculum.

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

It would not have offended me. It would have been close but mild compared to the constant beating and verbal abuse they dished out to me. One would stand in front of me and hand me a pencil and every time I reached out with my left the other with a cane would strike me very hard on the hand or arm. They did not use the flat of the ruler, but the edge. They also slapped my face and called me vile names. They would also tie my left arm to my belt. Left-handedness is strong in my family. My younger brother went to a different school and he was allowed to remain left handed, though he never learned to write well. My daughter and a couple nieces are also sinistral.

Wow. I'm glad it's not like that any more (or I at least I hope it's not like that). I suspect we've gone to the other extreme, of barely teaching kids how to handwrite at all. With cursive on the way out, I doubt teachers are even thinking about handedness, let alone ways to teach writing properly with either hand.

Wow. I'm glad it's not like that any more (or I at least I hope it's not like that). I suspect we've gone to the other extreme, of barely teaching kids how to handwrite at all. With cursive on the way out, I doubt teachers are even thinking about handedness, let alone ways to teach writing properly with either hand.

Other than emphasizing the importance of writing, I did not actually teach my daughter to write. She is left handed and learned cursive at school. She is a crabby overwriter, but still has very nice cursive. On the other hand, I was talking to a young lady of the same age, last week. I bought stamps from her, and she was admiring the way in which I had addressed my envelopes (semiflex with Solferino) and she told me that she could only print. She was in a different city, so I assume that the emphasis, here in Canada, depends on where you live.

"I can only print" makes her sound like she's Dickon from The Secret Garden. :wacko:

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

Big day in my family - husband and I are both left handed, as are his 2 brothers and my 2 brothers. My father was left handed, my sisters-in-law are both left handed, as are my aunties and 2 of 3 uncles. In fact when I think of immediate family members on both sides it's about a 50/50 split or maybe more left-handed than right handed. My daughter and 2 sisters are right-handed - they are weird!

A day for me :)

Also to mention I have being doing exercises with my right hand, eventually will show something.

fpn_1423513023__signature.jpg

Simp created an amazing wiki for Historic Pen Ads Gallery. Found this one, with a hook-over lefty (like me!) It's not often that you find lefties in pen ads or even writing instruction books. (And especially not hook-over lefties!) Got a kick out of the "contortionist" part.

http://www.fountainpen.it/images/thumb/a/a4/1963-10-Parker-VP.jpg/412px-1963-10-Parker-VP.jpg

Edited by fiberdrunk

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder: Left Hander's Day is this Tuesday! I hope you'll post your writing samples-- would love to see righties post left-handed samples!

My Illustrious Spouse is left-handed, although I married him anyway. He is deeply disappointed that both the children appear to be dull righties like me.

Edited by HildyZ

"Malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man." - A. E. Housman

It may skip a generation. Neither of my parents are left-handed, but my maternal grandfather was-- that's where I got it from.

Go Lefties!!

Here's my own version of copperplate - left handed style with no practice and lots of desire! My sister, who is 11 months younger than me and right handed, apparently wanted to be like her big sis, so her hand writing looks like it was written by a lefty, and mine looks nearly right handed, even though I'm a lefty! Go figure!

post-22021-0-13406800-1376350527_thumb.jpg

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Go Lefties!!

Here's my own version of copperplate - left handed style with no practice and lots of desire! My sister, who is 11 months younger than me and right handed, apparently wanted to be like her big sis, so her hand writing looks like it was written by a lefty, and mine looks nearly right handed, even though I'm a lefty! Go figure!

Wow, that looks pretty! Are you an "underwriter" or a "hook over" lefty? I'm not able to manage a flex pen (I'm a "hook over").

It may skip a generation. Neither of my parents are left-handed, but my maternal grandfather was-- that's where I got it from.

Don't think so... My father was left handed and 3 of his 5 children also (including me!)

Hi to all you talented, creative and intelligent left-handers, here's my contribution to this great day. Left Handers Day 130813.jpg

Fiberdrunk:

I guess I'm an underwriter - my hand holding the pen is a mirror image of 99% of right handed folks. The slant of my writing and how I hold the pen is so "normal" looking that people who have know me for a long time will suddenly exclaim - I didn't know you were left handed!! It might be because when I was in 2nd grade, the elderly woman teacher made me sit all the way in the back and over against the windows because I was the only lefty in the class. She refused to help me learn how to write cursive with everyone else, so to this day I struggle with several capitals, and often have numerous "styles" in my writing, when I'm not doing calligraphy. I often print/cursive combined, all because of that 2nd grade teacher and her aversion to working with left handed students.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5515/9502587199_2e20054046_z.jpg Edited by fiberdrunk

Fiberdrunk:

I guess I'm an underwriter - my hand holding the pen is a mirror image of 99% of right handed folks. The slant of my writing and how I hold the pen is so "normal" looking that people who have know me for a long time will suddenly exclaim - I didn't know you were left handed!! It might be because when I was in 2nd grade, the elderly woman teacher made me sit all the way in the back and over against the windows because I was the only lefty in the class. She refused to help me learn how to write cursive with everyone else, so to this day I struggle with several capitals, and often have numerous "styles" in my writing, when I'm not doing calligraphy. I often print/cursive combined, all because of that 2nd grade teacher and her aversion to working with left handed students.

That is so sad! I don't believe any of my teachers were quite so calloused as that, though I, too, got little instruction to help a lefty. My cursive was always poor growing up. As an adult I learned some italic, but it's still not as consistent as I'd like it.

Anyway, here's the thread to celebrate and embrace our uniqueness! Hold your pens up high!

• 11 months later...

Just a reminder that Left Hander's Day is coming up again on August 13th!