What's So Great About A Parker 51?

Tresconik

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what's so great about it?
Yes, it's a vintage pen, but I'm guessing there are many more rare pens..

Does it have more reliability? Does it write more smoothly than any other pen?
What makes it so special to you?

I currently only have a Lamy Safari, and seeing for what a low price these ones go, I was thinking of getting one myself..
(Saw a fully restored one on ebay going for 40 USD)

But yeah, what makes the 51 so special??

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tresconik

• Tom Aquinas

• de_pen_dent

• dragos.mocanu

Well some (like me for example) would say: Everything! It's a classic pen with a beautiful design (some love it, some don't), the filling mechanism on the Aerometrics is particularly robust and due to the material of the Pliglass sac it can take in types of inks that would normally damage other types of sacs (see 'Superchrome ink'). The lucite (acrylic) material is durable and doesn't stain, and the hooded nib design helps keep the nib wet with ink (for example, if the pen is left uncapped for a while -minutes not days :lol: -, it should start writing immediately). Everything about the "51" is purely functional (well, maybe except the gold/sterling silver cap ones or Insignia models which, in my opinion, also have the 'pretty' effect), the nib usually has lots of tipping material, and if not, you can always buy a NOS one from 15$ or so (talking about Octanium nibs here). And speaking about Octanium, there's virtually no difference in writing experience quality when compared to the gold nibs, which is usually attributed to the fact that the hooded nib design makes flexing impractical (impossible actually...you risk cracking the section if you flex the nib). That being said, you can always opt for a Special "51" Aerometric, which IMHO is THE 'ink it up and start writing.' pen, and sells for somewhat less than the regular "51".

I don't think I've covered it all, but man, I do love this pen. Cheers

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Everything. Play with one and you'll understand. :)

How? I don't think it's very easy to find one in Mumbai :P

My only chance would be buying one :/

"Well some (like me for example) would say: Everything! It's a classic pen with a beautiful design (some love it, some don't), the filling mechanism on the Aerometrics is particularly robust and due to the material of the Pliglass sac it can take in types of inks that would normally damage other types of sacs (see 'Superchrome ink'). The lucite (acrylic) material is durable and doesn't stain, and the hooded nib design helps keep the nib wet with ink (for example, if the pen is left uncapped for a while -minutes not days :lol: -, it should start writing immediately). Everything about the "51" is purely functional (well, maybe except the gold/sterling silver cap ones or Insignia models which, in my opinion, also have the 'pretty' effect), the nib usually has lots of tipping material, and if not, you can always buy a NOS one from 15$ or so (talking about Octanium nibs here). And speaking about Octanium, there's virtually no difference in writing experience quality when compared to the gold nibs, which is usually attributed to the fact that the hooded nib design makes flexing impractical (impossible actually...you risk cracking the section if you flex the nib). That being said, you can always opt for a Special "51" Aerometric, which IMHO is THE 'ink it up and start writing.' pen, and sells for somewhat less than the regular "51".

I don't think I've covered it all, but man, I do love this pen. Cheers"

Tipping material? Do you mean like the iridium point the modern pens have?

What's the difference between the special 51 and the normal one?

I'm sorry to be asking so many questions, but I really want to know more! :)

Edited by Tresconik

Everything. Play with one and you'll understand. :)

I concur, unless you have one and explore it's serendipity you won't know....again "everything", and $US40 would be a good price for a pen in good condition, I've paid as high as $A150 for a NOS 1949 pen , and as low as $3.50 for a pen with a well loved cap, but everything else good and have put it away for cannibalisation stores. It is in my view a "must have" pen for a collector .

How? I don't think it's very easy to find one in Mumbai :P

My only chance would be buying one :/

"Well some (like me for example) would say: Everything! It's a classic pen with a beautiful design (some love it, some don't), the filling mechanism on the Aerometrics is particularly robust and due to the material of the Pliglass sac it can take in types of inks that would normally damage other types of sacs (see 'Superchrome ink'). The lucite (acrylic) material is durable and doesn't stain, and the hooded nib design helps keep the nib wet with ink (for example, if the pen is left uncapped for a while -minutes not days :lol: -, it should start writing immediately). Everything about the "51" is purely functional (well, maybe except the gold/sterling silver cap ones or Insignia models which, in my opinion, also have the 'pretty' effect), the nib usually has lots of tipping material, and if not, you can always buy a NOS one from 15$ or so (talking about Octanium nibs here). And speaking about Octanium, there's virtually no difference in writing experience quality when compared to the gold nibs, which is usually attributed to the fact that the hooded nib design makes flexing impractical (impossible actually...you risk cracking the section if you flex the nib). That being said, you can always opt for a Special "51" Aerometric, which IMHO is THE 'ink it up and start writing.' pen, and sells for somewhat less than the regular "51".

I don't think I've covered it all, but man, I do love this pen. Cheers"

Tipping material? Do you mean like the iridium point the modern pens have?

What's the difference between the special 51 and the normal one?

I'm sorry to be asking so many questions, but I really want to know more! :)

Most decent quality fountain pens have some sort of tipping (it's not necessarily iridium...it's generally some platinoid metal or alloy that is a lot more durable that the gold or stainless steel), and the Parker "51" is of course no exception!

The "51" Special sports a black cap jewel (instead of a pearl colored one you find on the regular), the cap itself is finished in a shiny sheen (as opposed to the brushed finish of the regular), the aerometric filler is a 'hoop-filler' (http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/photobucket-8907-1342356952598.jpg)

instead of a regular full housing and the nib is stainless steel (Octanium) instead of 14k gold. And of course, it only comes in 4 colors (Burgundy, Forest Green, Navy Grey and Black).

There are also some later models of the "51" (post '60s I think) that look like a Special ('hoop-filler', it says 'Special' on the filler housing) but are actually regular ones, considering the fact that they have a brushed steel cap, pearl jewel and a gold nib.

Edited by dragos.mocanu

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Interesting! I did a little searching around and found a thread with pen shops in mumbai. Lets see if I can find a 51 to play around with!

Edited by Tresconik

Interesting! I did a little searching around and found a thread with pen shops in mumbai. Lets see if I can find a 51 to play around with!

I really doubt you will find a "51" in a regular pen shop! Considering they were discontinued at the beginning of the '70s, you would normally find them in pawn shops, estate sales, flea markets etc.

I really doubt you will find a "51" in a regular pen shop! Considering they were discontinued at the beginning of the '70s, you would normally find them in pawn shops, estate sales, flea markets etc.

You are correct they are my main source, although I did buy a new OS one at a B&M store in 1999. That supply is definitely the exception and not the rule had located a stock of mint 51's, 61s, and 65s. There was a LE 51 brought out in around 2004 which sold for a high price ( around $ A700).

Tresconik,

They are a well made, robust and long-lived pen; I also find mine very comfortable for extended writing sessions.

They can truly be a pen for a lifetime of use :) A true classic in every sense.

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

It is difficult to prove a pen is better than others by listing its characteristics. If you want the best and are prepared to collect a few to make comparisons, the Parker 51 should be on your list. Informed opinion places it among the finest fountain pens ever made. Read what people write about it then take the plunge. There are usually one or two for sale in the classifieds on FPN, always plenty on ebay. It was one of the commonest quality pens in Australia in the 50s and 60s and can still be found here in secondhand shops and garage sales.This is one classic where you can still get a bargain.

Well, you have to like hooded nibs. I prefer the VS.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Those are the places I mean to go to! :)

Well, you have to like hooded nibs. I prefer the VS.

What does "vs" stand for?

Right, I'm definitely going tomorrow or on the day after, to look for one!!

What does "vs" stand for?

Right, I'm definitely going tomorrow or on the day after, to look for one!!

It doesn't really matter what it stands for. It's the name of the design.

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/vs.htm

http://www.parkerpens.net/parkervs.html

The VS is probably as close as you can get to a 51 without the 51's hooded nib. That's mainly in terms of the contour of the pen where you would hold it. The 51's feed, collector, and nib are part of what makes a 51 a 51, so some might say the similarity of the VS to the 51 is only skin deep, and not even all of that, of course.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

My father owns 2 of these. He is not a collector, just a hoarder. He bought them when they came out.

I wrote with them for a while. He had maintained one of them. He had allowed ink to dry in the other. I cleaned them, made them work, and, honestly, they did absolutely nothing for me. Admittedly, it has been 17 or more years. Maybe now? I was disappointed by the hooded nib. The general appearance of the pen wasn't special. The only thing I liked was the lever filling mechanism (all my pens had been cartridge fillers until I found these).

I have no special affection for this pen, even though the physicist in me recognizes its technical achievements.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

It is a good, reliable pen, but mine is seldom inked. The reason? I prefer a more traditional section - the 51 feels and looks like a ballpoint in the hand, like my fingers are going to slip down the slope of the section with no lip to prevent it. Guess I'm just old fashioned. :)

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

It doesn't really matter what it stands for. It's the name of the design.

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/vs.htm

http://www.parkerpens.net/parkervs.html

The VS is probably as close as you can get to a 51 without the 51's hooded nib. That's mainly in terms of the contour of the pen where you would hold it. The 51's feed, collector, and nib are part of what makes a 51 a 51, so some might say the similarity of the VS to the 51 is only skin deep, and not even all of that, of course.

Oh, I've seen a a couple of those!

It is a good, reliable pen, but mine is seldom inked. The reason? I prefer a more traditional section - the 51 feels and looks like a ballpoint in the hand, like my fingers are going to slip down the slope of the section with no lip to prevent it. Guess I'm just old fashioned. :)

What about stuff like it leaking or burping?

Here are a couple of Hero's I picked up for 35 bucks each (35 INR that is)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/medium/19/fpn6.jpg

http://imageshack.com/scaled/medium/14/yd64.jpg

http://imageshack.com/scaled/medium/41/n5a5.jpg

Close enough to a 51? Or should I actually be trying the real thing?

The fact that I can use a 60 year old pen everyday, and not have baby it, should speak volumes.

The fact that I can use a 60 year old pen everyday, and not have baby it, should speak volumes.

Ditto. I think that this is the objective test for an outstanding pen, and they look great as well.