Nostalgic Impressions - Apothecary Purple

amberleadavis

After my scathing review of the "Dark Red" ink, let me tell you how happy I am with the Purple.

Let's start with the single best aspect of this ink --- SHEEN.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2013-07-21_NI_Purple_Sheen.png

The bottle is very nice. I have to retract my original statement that any fountain pen will fit. The TWBI 540 will touch the bottom, but some larger pens may not be able to reach the bottom. Nevertheless, the bottle is cute.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/N4004X-3.jpeg

Price: $17.95 plus shipping. I was able to get free shipping by buying two bottles. I bought "Dark Red" and "Purple".

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/N4004X-2.jpeg

I suspect that the blue or green would have been better (darker) choices than the red.

The purple was a lovely ink all on it's own - the bottle makes it a delightful purchase.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2013-07-21_NostaligicImpre1.jpg

A larger scan is here.

I'll let you know about how it stands up to the sun.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• lapis

• cybaea

• carlos.q

Wow, gorgeous color! I LOVE the bottle! Awww, yet another ink I would love to get!!! :wub:

Where do you get these inks? It's not a brand I'd heard of before. How many different colors does it come in?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Where do you get these inks? It's not a brand I'd heard of before. How many different colors does it come in?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Amber showed us here.

Man, 5 more inks to buy! No end in sight!!

Croak

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Man, 5 more inks to buy! No end in sight!!

Croak

You say it like it is a bad thing...???? :D

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

I think it's a good thing. A true investment. But my wife doesn't.

I keep telling my office staff that inks are always cheaper than .....(insert vice here).

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Of the 5 colors, don't buy dark red. I'm not done complaining about it.

Nice color! Two questions:

1. On my monitor the color seems to be a bluish purple (not reddish). Is this correct?

2. Have you tried the water resistance of this ink?

Edited by carlos.q

It's definitely a blue violet (not red) and I'll be shocked if it holds up to any kind of water resistance. I will do a check next time I get around to it, but don't expect it to be bullet proof.

It's definitely a blue violet (not red) and I'll be shocked if it holds up to any kind of water resistance. I will do a check next time I get around to it, but don't expect it to be bullet proof.

Thank you. I don't expect bulletproof but some degree of water resistance would be nice...

I did swipe across with a wet paint brush and the ink ran but was still mostly visible. I'll post pics when I do a better test.

• 2 weeks later...

So, in my insane doodling, I discovered something else WAY cool about this ink....It changes color when you write on top of other inks.

The background of this image has layers of fountain pen inks. When I flush my pens, I take the excess ink and dump it into a spray bottle and then I spray the ink as background for later projects. In this project, I had an 18x24 art paper that I used as a blotter. I was frustrated with the Apothecary "Dark Red" ink and it is one of the colors I used heavily in the spray. The larger butterflies are Noodler's Rome Burning and it is an amazing ink to use. Anyway, later, I was jotting down notes and I discovered that the NI-purple changed to a dark green when I wrote over top of the orange inks. I've tried to capture this in the photos. (The blotter is too big to scan). I will eventually get better images for your review. Nevertheless, here is a sample.

http://sheismylawyer.com/2013-FADE/Boards/slides/2013-Fade_Board_O-BFs-1.jpg

Here is a larger picture of the blotter.

http://sheismylawyer.com/2013-FADE/Boards/slides/2013-Fade_Board_O-BFs-3.jpg

I like how you use the excess ink :)

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

:) Thank you!

So, here is what the sheen looks like on a nib.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/NI-Purple/slides/2013-08-08_ink_28.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/NI-Purple/slides/2013-08-08_ink_26.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/NI-Purple/slides/2013-08-08_ink_27.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/NI-Purple/slides/2013-08-08_ink_25.jpg

Man o man... and I thought you were a lawyer. But you are -- as everybody knows -- also an artist... and as I now see it, a professional photographer as well....

Sigh