Contemporary/modern Fountain Pen Design

gmcalabr

Jeez, I'm just getting killed here.

Sounds like MB anything is considered always appropriate, at least that's what this informal pole says. Also, I agree, 97% of people will never notice whatever pen you're writing with, but I care. Also, it looks like I'm the only one who clips pens in my pants pockets. Oh well.

The Pelikan's bill shaped clip adds a refreshing touch of whimsy. An m200 in a bright canary yellow is probably the ideal pen for wear with a madras shirt;)

Agreed. I actually especially like the white tortoise M600. The yellow M200 VERY much fits, good pick.

I have never thought of a pen of any kind as being a fashion statement. Whether I wear my most staid suit, a tuxedo, a kilt, or shorts and tee-shirt, I choose my pen for what I will be doing with it, and to satisfy myself. Why anyone would clip a pen to shorts pocket is beyond me. It is in danger of damage or loss. The number of occasions where people have even noticed that I am using a fountain pen are very limited. Last week I was in a hotel lobby writing a letter to my mother and a lady commented, not on the pen itself, but on the fact that I was using a fountain pen and was writing in an unusual shade of violet. And in her case, I fully expect that she will be joining FPN soon.

I absolutely do think of pens as a fashion statement, but I also am very proud of my sock collection. I'll be damned if I ever wear black socks with black shoes and pants!

Try a Pilot M90 or a TWSBI Mini/580 for the modern look.

Mmmm... yes, an M90/Myu. Either one of these is my grail pen. It's truely a piece of art. TWISBI makes a great modern looking demonstrator, and I'm a fan.

A well designed pen is timeless!

Yep. So is a well cut suit, but I don't wear one to a summer pool party/barbecue. Time to break out the timelessly well cut polo!

Modern and stylish? I'd also add subdued. Nothing flashy; just cool and functional. Look at Lamy. The 2000 looks great with casual attire as do a lot of their models, although I would avoid a brightly-colored Safari if it clashes with your shirt. Monteverde makes some fine casual designs as well (Invincia).

The 2000 is a good pick. Very subdued and office-ey (buisiness-ey). I agree with no flash, but I don't think that it should be subdued. That's one of the reasons why I love the Prera so much; it stands out, but doesn't look like you spent $400 on it. It's just well done.

How could you have possibly forgotten the Lamy "I clip to ANYTHING" Safari?

Yes and no. I get the feeling that the Safari is was happens when you don't care about looks or style AT ALL. It's such an incredible writing tool, but still ends up looking a little bit too much like a school pen to me (oversized, over-round, plastick-ey

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gmcalabr

• LuisAAbrilRomero

• de_pen_dent

• orinix

Sounds like MB anything is considered always appropriate, at least that's what this informal pole says. Also, I agree, 97% of people will never notice whatever pen you're writing with, but I care. Also, it looks like I'm the only one who clips pens in my pants pockets. Oh well.

I'm with you (there is a thread on the MB forum related to this as well, and I've said pretty much the same thing there).

I could wear dress shoes with baggy shorts if I wanted, but I choose not to do so. Not b/c what others may think, but because *I* dont find it to be a good combo. I dress according to my personal sense of what I like and dont like.

By the same token, yes, I can and will carry whatever pen I want to use. But I find that I have never yet wanted to carry a big, chunky black pen when wearing, say, board shorts and a t-shirt. If I am dressed down, I tend to carry a pen with a more appropriate look.
A lot of people seem to be under the impression that external reasons (what others think) is the only reason to dress a certain way or carry certain things. I dont agree with that.
If someone else wants to carry a MB, good on them, that's their choice not mine.
Edited by de_pen_dent

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

>Mmmm... yes, an M90/Myu. Either one of these is my grail pen. It's truely a piece of art. TWISBI makes a great modern looking demonstrator, and I'm a fan.

Well, they truly deserve the status you attribute to them. While I adore all the pens I have in my daily rotation (Pilot Capless Decimo F and Pilot Custom 823 F in black for notetaking, Lamy 2000 BB for long writing sessions, and a Visconti Homo Sapiens Stub both for long writing sessions and as a signature pen), I find myself always coming back to my Pilot M90, which, in terms of fashion, looks as good on a ragged traveller on an Indian country road as it does in my office when I have a meeting with my corporate masters. Pricey, but I cannot praise the pen highly enough.

By the way, have you thought about the newly-released Pilot Elite? While not as versatile as the Pilot M90 in terms of looks, it is more or less the same pen except for the material and the way the nib is integrated in the pen.

Another alternative would be one of the classier and more sturdy Kaweco Sport AL.

Good hunting!

Luis

Edited by LuisAAbrilRomero

Another vote for the Kaweco, maybe even one of the plastic, colored ones for extra whimsy? I've got one in green I bought on a whim, and it really is perfect for a grab and go, stick into my shorts pocket kind of pen.

Also, some of the vintage options might work well, like a Parker 51 or Vacumatic? I know you're looking for modern options, but some of the older pens ironically might fit the bill if you want something subtle and that could be carried with casual wear without attracting extra attention.

Omas 360 Old Style

Omas Paragon

Omas Ogiva

Pelikan m1000

Waterman Le Man 100

MB 149 MB 146

Sheaffer Triumph-Sheaffer Snorkel

Sheaffer PFM -Sheaffer Legacy

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

By the way, have you thought about the newly-released Pilot Elite? While not as versatile as the Pilot M90 in terms of looks, it is more or less the same pen except for the material and the way the nib is integrated in the pen.

Another alternative would be one of the classier and more sturdy Kaweco Sport AL.

Sorry, but NOTHING touches the Myu, IMHO. It's phenomenally simple, but so perfect that it's not boring. I actually don't like the mini size, which I know is what it's named for/known for, etc. The one-piece integrated nib is just sooooo sleek and so well cut/curved. That, plus the rugged all-steel design, fine point, mostly un-exposed feed... It's simple and "blue collar" enough to fit with a t-shirt and jeans but refined enough to be completely in concert with a well-tailored suit.

The archetype of the design I hold most high. As simple as humanly possible without being boring. I think this is a more difficult achievement than the most well-adorned, intricately carved anything.

Another vote for the Kaweco, maybe even one of the plastic, colored ones for extra whimsy?

Yes, definitely to the Kaweco. Without trying it, the comparisons online show that the EF nib is wider than Lamy's, and the Lamy EF is far too broad for me. But yeah, excellent pick.

Omas 360 Old Style

Omas Paragon

Omas Ogiva

Pelikan m1000

Waterman Le Man 100

MB 149 MB 146

Sheaffer Triumph-Sheaffer Snorkel

Sheaffer PFM -Sheaffer Legacy

I am amazed by how flexible my Statesman is in that regard; it's all black and gold trim, but maybe the wear on my old pen allows it to stay a bit more subdued/less flashy than, say, a MB.

Another option is the Scrivere fountain pen from the German Company Von Transehe Design, which are sold here: http://www.diepapeterie.de/index.php/categories/schreibgeraete

I do not own the pen (although I have eyed it once or twice before getting my hands on a Pilot M90), nor have I ever used it, so I cannot say anything with regards to its quality, but there is a review of the pen in the review section that you can consult.

Edited by LuisAAbrilRomero

I've finally gotten around to sealing my Estie renew point threads with wax per others suggestions. I'm submitting this CX100, especially in red, gray, and black. Very vintage in the cap, but i still think it has a nice dressed-down but well done look. I like writing with it too, hopefully the threads seal. One issue is that the barrel is such cheap plastic that the cap barely threads on and isn't terribly secure. But that's not what this thread is about, right?

Montblanc Generation. In green.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Alright, I'm going to have to go back and admit that I totally forgot about a whole brand that seems to get the affordable quality modern styled pens thing covered: Ohto. The FINE, Rook, Dude and Tasche have that category in the bag. Is it me, or do they use the same nibs as Franklin-Christoph?

Also, the Parker Premier Black Edition, along with some of the newer Monteverde pens that are similar, are good fits for this category.

Take the pen you want to use and clip it to what you are wearing. If someone is that bothered about what pen you are matching to your clothes then they have far too much time on their hands!

Currently sat at home, barefoot in shorts with an M1000 clipped to my T-shirt. Works for me...

Non-poster.
Current loves - MB 149, Pelikan M1000

Style and me....long rant deleted.

I survived style a number of times so am immune.

Have Pen, Will Travel.***

***Trade marked of course. Tales twisted, character assignations arranged, Contact my Agent* ... Palace Hotel San Francisco.

*Since my houseboy married a lawyer, he has another job description.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have a yellow Visconti Amigdala with a curved clip that has color but also a classic look.