The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker 51 - What? :)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:33

Yes!  My third and probably last Parker 51 ever. 

Huh?  The first one was nice, great writer (not as good as this one) but it was an UGLY green.  I couldn't stand to look at it.  The next one was a parts pen, black, red blind cap, broad nib.  I think it had a name engraved on it.  Gave it to an FPNer.  I think he liked it.  I just didn't like looking at it.  This one?  Oh my GAWD what a fantastic wet medium nib.    It sings!

How did I come to own this pen?  A good friend of mine collects 51s and I asked if he had any for sale.  He said he wouldn't sell any pens to me.  Huh? 

He GAVE it to me!  YEeha!  :)  Thanks!

And he couldn't have picked a better color.  It's a sort of blue/gray and I absolutely love it.

gallery_41188_26_9573.jpg

gallery_41188_26_15832.jpg

That's the nib.  It's a wet medium and it's OH SO NICE.  I really like it.  The cap is in the back there.  It's made of metal.  :P  (I've had too much coffee tonight)

.gallery_41188_26_12697.jpg

This is my pen again.  I like it.  :)

.gallery_41188_26_24233.jpg

This is my pen posted.  I don't post it much though.  It's so comfy unposted.  Man what a nice pen. 

gallery_41188_26_19264.jpg

Aero filler.  Yes that means it's the right kind of 51.  ;)  I'm not a huge fan of the vac filler.  Why not?  I dunno.  I like this one better though.  Maybe it's just the line of the blind cap in the end of the barrel that bugs me.  But I don't like them much.  Maybe if I had a nice double jewel or something I'd change my mind.  :)  Maybe I should get one of those fantasy Kullock pens one day.  I like yellow, green, and fun patterns (in case any of you are doing your Christmas shopping early)  Heheheh...  :P

gallery_41188_26_284185.jpg

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

Sponsored Content

#2 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:36

A good Parker 51 is a joy to write with. Congratulations, Shawn!!!!

BTW, does your friend, the Parker 51 collector, accepting any new friends?:):):)

#3 penultress

penultress

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:53

Congratulations! I've also just recently came into a 51- it was my Dad's. My mother remembered he had one. Well, after 21 years, it still writes beautifully!

#4 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:58

Your a pen turner, why not turn a replacement for that ugly green barrel?  You've turned so many beautiful pen, you must have a nice blank laying around.

#5 Brian C

Brian C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:03

Don't get Shawn started turning 51 barrels. I might as well just hand over my paycheck at that point.

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 18,012 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:05

Very nice!  You're lucky to have such a generous friend.  I've been given several pens, but not anything like that.  

Yeah, 51s are the real deal.  All the stuff people say about them -- that's not hype.  It's no wonder that Parker sold, what, 20 million of them....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#7 Daisy25

Daisy25

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:59

I've fallen in love with 51s.  Yours is a very handsome fellow!

My Pen Wraps and Sleeves for Sale Here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DaisyFair

#8 Buzz_130

Buzz_130

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 22:34

You have to love the Parker 51!  A little piece of history, a wonderful pen to write with, a relatively easy pen to work on, and a joy to share.  I just checked my pen case and am surprised that I now own 7.

Buzz

#9 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 22:50

I am sincerely simpathetic.  You can't have one of my Parker 51's either.  Sorry.

Are you looking a for a Parker 51 fountain pen, or a cheap Parker 51 fountain pen.

The former gets about one hundred sixty-five bucks, and the latter is extremely

rare. 

Good hunting.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#10 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• 2,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2013 - 00:35

Yep, that's a beaut, very nice colour. New sac too, by the look of it.

It's always nice to see when generosity comes full circle, the wheels of the Universe a-turning. Enjoy that baby!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#11 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2013 - 00:38

:)

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#12 barleycorn

barleycorn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:30

Is this a UK pen?

I was recently given some pens including a trio of P51 Aeros that my friend's father brought from Ireland many years ago.  I returned one to my friend and passed on the other one to a deserving person.  These two were fine nibs but mine is a lovely medium.  More of a medium/ broad and very smooth.  Apparently this is typical of the UK pens vs the US pens.

#13 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:41

it is more of a braod than a medium I suppose - but that may be how it's set up plus the ink/paper combo.

I don't know where it's from - there are no marks on the barrel.

#14 Through the Fog

Through the Fog

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:45

Lucky you! Lovely pictures. 

#15 Rose Nibs

Rose Nibs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:09

That's an odd thing, I prefer my Vacumatic 51. I think it's kind of exotic in comparison with the aero. No other pen I have matches it for reliability and it's smooth all over. You keep yours Shawn and I'll keep mine

#16 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:19

I got my first 51 in about 2 weeks,it's the classic aerometric black with gold filled cap. Yours is very nice and i love this colour too..

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Sponsored Content

|