Starting My Vintage Mb Collection

idazle

I have certainly no wish to hijack idazle's excellent, 'must read' thread but for those looking to looking to add THE Montblanc vintage pen to their collection, I would like to include my experience to those sensible comments above on acquiring a MB L139. My advice.....buy from a known reputable dealer. Please, please do not be seduced by an apparent bargain on e-bay.

I am a fan of e-bay and have bought many a pen from there but.....(big BUT), when looking to acquire either the L139 or the 138 or indeed any other such flagship pen, do yourself a favour and buy the best you can. Unless you have a really good relationship with a particular e-bay Seller, always look to buy from a known dealer, preferably one recommended from this sub-forum.

The best dealers in Europe are well known, the majority of which can be found on the Penboard.de. site. (sorry but I have no knowledge or experience of the USA scene). For those of you who can afford to buy and for those who can't but are going to anyway ;), you know you deserve better than to try for that 'too good to be true bargain.' Go for a known dealer with the comfort of buying properly the first time around. This is how I bought both of my L139s and it was well worth the extra money. Remember, you deserve better :thumbup:

Essentially there are two L139s, a long-window version and a short-window version, with the long-window being the more attractive and higher regarded pen. Prices vary and will depend on the length and clarity of the window (including the strength of the black stripes), the nib (you ideally want 14 C 250 or steel 250), the clarity of the markings on the piston turning knob which should read 'L139' or 'L139 G' ,and ideally tell you the type of nib carried ('F', 'M', 'B' or 'OB', etc) as well as the overall condition of the pen. Buy from a known dealer, you will know that the pen will have had its cork seal replaced and as such, all you will need to do is fill it with your favourite ink and enjoy :happycloud9:

If you spot a pen you think you ought to go for but are a little unsure, don't be shy in asking someone on the MB forum first :thumbup: All that will be expected in return is for you to share the pictures of your new acquisition :)

Pavoni.

Excellent advice Pavoni, thanks.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• idazle

• orfew

• pavoni

• farmdogfan

I have certainly no wish to hijack idazle's excellent, 'must read' thread but for those looking to looking to add THE Montblanc vintage pen to their collection, I would like to include my experience to those sensible comments above on acquiring a MB L139. My advice.....buy from a known reputable dealer. Please, please do not be seduced by an apparent bargain on e-bay.

Dear Pavoni, if that is hijacking it is most welcomed!!! Now that nobody is listening, I will confess that I'm mulling over adding the ONE to my starting collection and any advice from someone with your experience is really really appreciated. After all the thread is about how to start and build a vintage MB collection, isn't it?

I have been offered a L139 from a well known American dealer. It's got the short ink-window and is reportedly in mint condition, although I suspect the term "mint" is being used by the vendor in a rather relaxed way. A friend of mine has seen the pen on the flesh and says he rates it 8.5/10 (my friend is particularly picky). The pen sports a 3-tone 14 C broad stubbish nib, but it is marked on the turning knob as F. As I prefer a fine point with some flex, the seller is happy to change the nib for me. Given that the nib it's currently got is not its native nib I guess the change will not affect the pen's value.

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

Dear Pavoni, if that is hijacking it is most welcomed!!! Now that nobody is listening, I will confess that I'm mulling over adding the ONE to my starting collection and any advice from someone with your experience is really really appreciated. After all the thread is about how to start and build a vintage MB collection, isn't it?

I have been offered a L139 from a well known American dealer. It's got the short ink-window and is reportedly in mint condition, although I suspect the term "mint" is being used by the vendor in a rather relaxed way. A friend of mine has seen the pen on the flesh and says he rates it 8.5/10 (my friend is particularly picky). The pen sports a 3-tone 14 C broad stubbish nib, but it is marked on the turning knob as F. As I prefer a fine point with some flex, the seller is happy to change the nib for me. Given that the nib it's currently got is not its native nib I guess the change will not affect the pen's value.

congrats on your next purchase :thumbup: I suppose that it is gary lehrer who is selling that pen

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Dear idazle,

Thank you for your typically generous comments :blush:

The term 'Mint' is unfortunately, different things to different Sellers. That said, if you have seen photographs of the pen and are happy, then everyone should be happy for you :thumbup: If you haven't, please ask for photographs before parting with your hard-earned cash. Any Seller worth their reputation will gladly furnish you with as many photos as you wish. They are great to keep as part of your pen-buying record in any event.

I wouldn't bother so much about the replacement nib being different to that designated on the piston filler knob. Many pens from this period will have had a nib replaced - bear in mind also that Montblanc still offer a nib replacement service to this day ;). Please note however, that if the nib has already been changed, it may give you a view of the Seller's description of "Mint"! (ultimately for you to decide).

In terms of value (resale or otherwise) and how a replacement nib might impact, that very much depends on the reasons YOU buy the pen and, if selling on, the Buyer's needs. I would respectfully suggest that the most important aspect with regard to the nib's authenticity, is whether it is the expected '250' version.

From what you have said thus far, what with your picky friend's 8.5/10 assessment, that L139 certainly sounds as though it deserves your very serious consideration. All the best. :)

Pavoni.

How on earth could I have forgotten Gary :headsmack:

If Georges is right, and it is Gary who is selling an L139, you can be assured of being happy with your purchase. I have spent far more than I would like to admit with the excellent Gary Lehrer and I wait excitedly every year quarter for his new catalogues. Very accommodating and a real gent.

Pavoni.

Edited by pavoni

Agreed. I have also spent some money with Gary. He is excellent to deal with.

If Georges is right, and it is Gary who is selling an L139, you can be assured of being happy with your purchase. I have spent far more than I would like to admit with the excellent Gary Lehrer and I wait excitedly every year quarter for his new catalogues. Very accommodating and a real gent.

Pavoni.

I agree 100% with Pavoni and orfew comment's about Gary. He is a true gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. He replaced a cork in one of L139's and did a great job. The turn around time was excellent.

congrats on your next purchase :thumbup: I suppose that it is gary lehrer who is selling that pen

Thanks Georges, although I am not yet there ;) . But your guess is right, I was talking about Mr. Lehrer. Like some of you I have also spent some money with him and had the pleasure to meet him in the Madrid Pen Show last year, when I bought from him a beautilful Wahl-Eversharp Doric pen and pencil.

In terms of value (resale or otherwise) and how a replacement nib might impact, that very much depends on the reasons YOU buy the pen and, if selling on, the Buyer's needs. I would respectfully suggest that the most important aspect with regard to the nib's authenticity, is whether it is the expected '250' version.

From what you have said thus far, what with your picky friend's 8.5/10 assessment, that L139 certainly sounds as though it deserves your very serious consideration. All the best. :)

Pavoni.

Thanks once again for your extremely useful insights Pavoni. I am actually giving very serious consideration to the pen. About the reasons why I'd buy the pen, or perhaps easier, what I want the pen for, I should say that in general I do not buy pens to place them untouched behind a glass. I intend to use this pen and expect that it writes smoothly and nicely. I like fine points and the kind of smoothness and slight flexibility of the 332 and the 242 which I already own and have shown above in this thread. Having said that, as an economist I cannot help thinking as an "investor" too, and even though I plan to use my pen, I also want to make a sensible investment ... just in case I have to part with it one day.

Now, Mr. Lehrer has come back to me today saying that he's got a "250" nib in broad, and an "L139" nib in fine, perhaps medium/fine (3-tone 14C) but that he would not call either of them "flexible". So, I have a very nice L139 FP with a fine nib, as I wished, but the nib is not a "250" and has no flex either. A tied vote I think.

So, the questions I ask to myself and, above all, to the smart experts on vintage MBs like you are:

1.- Can I expect that an "L139" nib (what's that?) writes smoothly and nicely even though it has no flex? or will I end up with a nail?

2.- Why the "250" mark is that important? I haven't found any hint in Rösler's Montblanc Diary & Collector Guide. In Penboard they suggest that "250" nibs were the earlier 139 nibs, but say little more.

Any help?

Best

Carlos

Edited by idazle

Excellent collection. I was very much impressed by the handwriting as well. I think the credit for this goes to both- the pen and the owner!

Regards

Excellent collection. I was very much impressed by the handwriting as well. I think the credit for this goes to both- the pen and the owner!

Regards

Thanks so much for your nice words!

• 4 weeks later...

New additions to my collection:

333 1/2, gold nib -- 1937-38

334 1/2, palladium nib -- 1938-39

246 black, gold KF nib -- 1953-54

344, gold F nib -- 1957-60

And a peculiar 234 1/2 - 134 hybrid

I'll post some pics in separate posts.

New additions to my collection:

333 1/2, gold nib -- 1937-38

334 1/2, palladium nib -- 1938-39

246 black, gold KF nib -- 1953-54

344, gold F nib -- 1957-60

And a peculiar 234 1/2 - 134 hybrid

I'll post some pics in separate posts.

Looking forward to the pics. Great acquisitions, congrats.

Montblanc 333 1/2, gold nib -- 1937-38

fpn_1378676243__020x.jpg

fpn_1378676448__037x.jpg

fpn_1378676538__038x.jpg

Pre-war gold nib

fpn_1378676643__029x.jpg

fpn_1378676685__042x.jpg

Feeder and marks on the blind cap

fpn_1378676796__032x.jpg

fpn_1378676855__033x.jpg

fpn_1378676899__034x.jpg

Montblanc 334 1/2, palladium nib -- 1938-39

fpn_1378677687__021_2x.jpg

fpn_1378678330__014x.jpg

fpn_1378677795__024_2x.jpg

fpn_1378677920__025_3x.jpg

The pen has the name of Montblanc's exclusive distributor "Stoffhaas" engraved on the cap:

fpn_1378678091__025x.jpg

The pen sports a flex OB Palladium nib:

fpn_1378678201__026x.jpg

fpn_1378678285__015x.jpg

fpn_1378678445__035x.jpg

fpn_1378678482__022x.jpg

Edited by idazle

Montblanc 246 -- 1953-54

This is a late black German 246 streamed model, from around 1953. I have bought it in mint condition. Probably this pen had never been used until today.

fpn_1378679528__054x.jpg

fpn_1378679569__045x.jpg

The pen comes with its characteristic and correct spade clip:

fpn_1378679610__048x.jpg

... and sports a beautiful KF (Kügel feine) 14 carats gold nib:

fpn_1378679686__055x.jpg

Like other early 1950s Montblancs, this shows the flat ebonite feeder:

fpn_1378679782__057x.jpg

The Montblanc name is engraved on the cap and is still crispy and shows the original golden pigment:

fpn_1378679883__070x.jpg

The KF nib writes in a peculiar way. I guess I`ll have to get used to it ;-):

fpn_1378679481__028x.jpg

The smaller siblin of the 246 (number 1060) appears on MB Collectible Stars:

fpn_1378680414__093x.jpg

Finally, a brisk comparisson with the 344 that I also received last week and which I'll show in more detail tomorrow ... time to go to bed in this side of the pond ;-)

fpn_1378680248__073x.jpg

fpn_1378680287__072x.jpg

fpn_1378680333__079x.jpg

Cheers

Edited by idazle

Montblanc 344, gold KF nib -- 1957-60

I bagged myself this beautiful and minty couple for $180.

fpn_1378729446__012x.jpg

On a page of a 1954 Catalogue, which features an earlier 344 pen, with the engraved star and no band inscription:

fpn_1378846929__080x.jpg

The pen writes smoothly with a tad of flex:

fpn_1378729494__004x.jpg

The 14 C nib is the right one for the 3rd series in the 1950s:

fpn_1378847467__086x.jpg

The point's size is engraved on the filling knob. This model, in spite of belonging to the 3rd series, does not have a blind cap, but an integrated piston knob, like the 1st and the 2nd series:

fpn_1378847727__092x.jpg

Perfectly clear ink window and round grooved ebonite nib, characteristic of the second half of the 1950s:

fpn_1378847817__084x.jpg

The imprint on the 996 pix pencil is clear and crispy:

fpn_1378848061__089x.jpg

The pen as featured in the Collectible Stars book:

fpn_1378848156__097x.jpg

Edited by idazle

Montblanc 234 1/2, steel M nib -- 1939-1943 (?) with a 134 Meisterstück cap

I love this pen. Yes, I know it's a frankenpen, but still I love it. That steel nib writes wonderfully!!! The body and nib belongs to a wartime 234 1/2, but the cap is from an early 134 Meisterstück. I like to think of it as a pioneering 234 1/2 "de luxe" or as a second tier 134 Meisterstück. I paid a fraction of the price for a 134.

fpn_1378849049__020x.jpg

fpn_1378849131__009x.jpg

fpn_1378730395__006x.jpg

fpn_1378849238__018x.jpg

fpn_1378849278__015x.jpg

fpn_1378849314__017x.jpg