Platinum #3776 Century Sai

Buzz_130

FPN,

I just returned from downtown Tokyo with my new FP purchase, the Platinum #3776 Century Sai. As an owner of the Shoji, I want to continue the collection of the five lakes around Mt. Fuji as they are released as part of my family's experience living in Japan.

The pen comes in the standard Platinum white box.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/augustfamily1/Platinum%20Sai%20Product%20Review/PlatinumSai-6039_zpsecdf956b.jpg

Inside, you find the normal pen items: paperwork, two Platinum pigment inks (one blue and one black), and the Platinum converter (in silver). Different from the Shoji box contents is a stamp stating "Written Using Platinum Pigment Ink." Nice marketing idea, but not an item I will end up using at work or in a journal.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/augustfamily1/Platinum%20Sai%20Product%20Review/PlatinumSai-6042_zps0fe7aefb.jpg

The nib is a simply decorated 14k design with a simple #3776 and Platinum "P" engraved on it. Mine is a FM nib.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/augustfamily1/Platinum%20Sai%20Product%20Review/PlatinumSai-6047_zpsc70f2d35.jpg

The pen has a nice heft to it and is easy to hold posted or unposted. I prefer to write with all of my pens unposted. It's obviously a demonstrator style that was a Platinum design decision to "express the profound nature of Lake Sai, the central like in the five lakes around Mount Fuji that is surrounded by a sea of trees and mountains." The cap is the new Platinum "slip and seal" design that is supposed to allow pens to sit with ink in them for up to a year without drying out. I haven't owned one of them long enough to verify this claim, and I usually rotate through all of my pens on a regular basis to prevent ink from sitting that long.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/augustfamily1/Platinum%20Sai%20Product%20Review/PlatinumSai-6044_zps9dc3834c.jpg

Overall, the writing experience is a nice one that you could expect from Platinum. This is not an expensive Visconti Dreamtouch nib or wet European Pelikan or Onoto writing experience, and I won't try to compare this nib to those different styles of writing. I also won't compare the writing to vintage pens as that opens up far too many comparisons that are too difficult to encompass. Instead, this FM nib lays down a very comfortable line of wet ink. No skips, no hard starts, no scratching. Instead, you have a reliable companion with just the right amount of feedback on fountain pen-compatible paper, and a pen that is ready to write at a moment's notice with an easy, gliding touch that you would expect from one of Japan's big 3. I like the feel and weight of the pen as an all-day writer with a look at the remaining ink through the pen.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag22/augustfamily1/Platinum%20Sai%20Product%20Review/PlatinumSai-6049_zps8dfb38ab.jpg

My only critique of this pen is that I like the style of the Shoji cap slightly better. Inside the Shoji slip and seal cap is a list of the five lakes surrounding Mount Fuji. Shoji is presented in a reverse font and highlighted in silver. This is a nice touch for the pens designed to be collected in the series. As mentioned above, this was probably a design decision for the Sai, and the simplicity is nice.

One unique item that came with my purchase is the Platinum pen cleaning kit. The salesman talked about the Platinum pigment ink (which I use in my Shoji) and the need for a good rinse every year or so. I like to practice good pen hygiene and keep my pens in use or flushed and dried, but I'll give this a try when the time is right.

Buzz

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tumbleweedtoo

• Buzz_130

• rhodialover

• Subscript

Thank you for this excellent review! I have ordered mine from Itoya in Tokyo, partly to see how to buy pens from them and have them shipped to the USA. I can hardly wait to receive it. It is supposed to come FedEx, and was shipped just a few days ago.

All the best,

T

Hello Buzz,

My SAI pen arrived today from Itoya. Shipped on Friday afternoon Tokyo time, it arrived from Fedex on Monday afternoon at my home in the USA. I found that my pen is inscribed 2777/3K. So, it is numbered as the 2777th pen on the cap. I notice that there is a number 26 below the inscribed nib, which I can see through the clear plastic. So far, I have not found the name SAI anywhere on the pen to distinguish what the pen is, and the Platinum name appears only on the nib as far as I can see. Perhaps you have discovered other markings for identification. Apart from the box, I think the pen would lose a lot of identification. I have not inked mine yet, but I was intrigued (based on some of the discussions by others on buying Japanese pens from Japan) that the small tag came in my box showing the price was 18,900 yen. There was an insert in the box that also showed the pen at 18,000 yen. So, a difference of 900 yen. With the exchange rate and no discount, I paid about $192.00, plus Fedex shipping. Itoya shipped the pen to me after I sent them my Fedex number, and then Fedex billed me for the shipping on my credit card, but i have not yet received the bill on my credit card for the shipping cost (and I have looked at the pen instead of the paperwork). I did find the pen less expensive online for $180.00 with $17.50 (as I recall) for shipping from Japan. I am happy with my purchase and the customer service from Itoya.

I hope you are still enjoying your pen!

All the best,

T

T,

Still loving the pen and is my daily writer this week! I've found that the pen works really well on normal copy paper and does really well with the fine nib for ink flow (no need to refill), so I hope that you find it's a very versatile pen. I actually bought my pen in one of the Itoya stores in Tokyo and was amazed with the customer service.

Mine is 1783 (got to pick the number from the stack of boxes and went with the end of the American Revolution/Treat of Paris date), and I haven't seen any other markings to identify it as a Sai. That's very different from the Shoji that has all of the lakes in the slip and seal cap and highlighted. I think you are going to like your purchase!

I've only tested it with the Iroshizuko ink, but I'm looking forward to trying it with the rest of my collection. What are you planning on using with the pen?

Buzz

Hi Buzz, I am glad that you are still enjoying your pen. After reading your post, and partly because Itoya sent me a Platinum pen cleaning kit with the pen, I thought I would test it with a new Platinum Black Carbon Ink cartridge. So far I really like the smooth nib and the ink flow, but I have not yet used the pen very much. I was actually hoping to run out of ink in one of the two other pens I had inked before inking the new Platinum. My pen has a Medium nib. I neglected to specify my nib size when I ordered the pen, but I like the M size they sent and I am in no way disappointed. I hope I can attach a picture of the Platinum Sai pen along with my other two inked pens. The top pen is an oversized Eversharp Gold Seal pen (from the 1930's, I think) with a Manifold nib. The middle pen is a Sailor "Profit" or midsized 1911 pen with a UEF nib (which I find too fine for my personal taste). I think you can see the Carbon Ink cartridge in the pen's picture (if I can figure out how to attach it). I guess I may need to report later on how I like the Carbon Ink in this new pen.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3687/9303338171_7df7ce4cae.jpg
An Eversharp, A Sailor, and a Platinum Pen by OUSoonertoo, on Flickr

All the best,

T

T,

I also have a 1911, and I really enjoy how it writes. Fortunately, I had the chance to test most of the Japanese nibs in Itoya and Maruzen (really department stores with huge FP collections), and I knew I didn't want the Japanese fine nibs. They can be beautiful with Japanese characters and Kanji, but my Western scrawl requires something a bit more substantial. So I've gone with the M and FM nibs. Both work really well with normal paper as well as Clairefountaine or Rhodia paper.

I have cartridges for both the Shoji and Sai (blue and black), but I just haven't loaded them up yet. I plan on keeping them in my travel bag for the inevitable time when I run out of ink while on the road!

Buzz

Subscript,

Then you might like the Shoji even more. Light blue tint to the body that brings out a bit more character, and the design of the slip and seal cap is much more appealing. May have to do a review on that pen as well.

Buzz

I'd get one, or three, if it only had more trim to it! That is the only turnoff I have with it.

http://www.venganza.org/images/fsm.png

Thank you for this review! I actually like the reduced looks with less trim and no cap imprints. So much that I ordered one last night.

Actually, after using this pen for awhile, I like the fact that I can see the words "Carbon Ink" clearly printed on the cartridge through the clear plastic barrel, and I can line up the words "Carbon Ink" the way I want to with the nib.. Though the pen did not start immediately with the down stroke in the beginning, it does start now with no problems. I am happy that I inked the pen and enjoy writing with it. It may be that part of the value of the pen is the entire presentation of it in the box with the stamp and the relationship it has with the lakes around Mt. Fuji. It might have more meaning for those who live in Japan or who have visited one or more of the five lakes.

All the best,

T

Thanks for the review. I have been considering the Sai but do prefer the extra bit of trim on the Shoji. The Platinum demos look great with the Maki-e converters from Nakaya (I got a pair over at the nibs website, no affiliation), assuming that is your cup of tea.

Cheers.

Monanza,

I haven't seen the Maki-e converters. While I like the look of the Platinum converters, they fill a very nice demonstrator with a lot of "hardware." I'll see if I can hunt down the Nakaya converters here locally.

Buzz

Oh dear, I don't want to buy anymore pens, I have way more than I can use already and deciding which ones to use is becoming stressful. On the other hand, I have a Shoji, Bourgoigne and the Chartres Blue (as well as a Platinum Brown Tortoise with a Music Nib). They are all beautiful and now I'm really tempted.