Camlin Sleek Fountain Pen Review

cjpandya

hello everyone!! this is my first ever review on FPN. hope i am able to provide at least a close-to-proper review and that you like it! any suggestions and tips about making it better are welcomed wholeheartedly

and with gratitude!

Introduction: Camlin Ltd is an Indian company engaged in manufacturing quality stationary products since 1946. In the year 1931, Dandekar & Co commenced its operation of manufacturing Horse Brand ink powders and tablets. Later it started production of Camel Ink. The company was renamed as camlin in the year 1946. camlin sllek is a piston-filler model. the pen comes in a variety of elegant dark and mute colours to choose from.

First impression: the pen looks quite elegant and with a matter-of-fact finish which is very subtle yet beautiful in its own way. Also, the line that marks the difference between the piston screw and the ink reservoir is not seen while holding the pen, which is quite nice.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2846/9275237970_339a47fe5b.jpg
C360_2013-07-12-16-36-51-788 by deathadder_44, on Flickr

Body materials and built quality:

The cap is made of stainless steel with a golden coloured clip which is quite fexible and easily usable without the fear of breaking it.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7281/9275244242_da9cdccb13_z.jpg
C360_2013-07-12-16-37-49-764 by deathadder_44, on Flickr

The body is made of good quality plastic and feels strong to hold. it is a single body from the grip section to the beginning of the piston screw with rectangular ink windows just above the grip section.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5322/9275240134_fd17e0dd56_z.jpg
C360_2013-07-12-16-38-59-212 by deathadder_44, on Flickr

The piston end of the body

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2885/9275409548_9fbe583f49.jpg
C360_2013-07-13-12-49-21-636 by deathadder_44, on Flickr

Filling mechanism: The piston mechanism is smooth and easy to operate, although i found it a bit difficult to open the screw at the first go, but that would probably be the case with many new pens. after the first use i found no difficulty in the mechanism whatsoever.

the piston as seen through the ink windows.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7443/9272461923_c375bff554.jpg
C360_2013-07-12-16-43-09-251 by deathadder_44, on Flickr

the piston removed.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5488/9275250092_eb6d9b28db.jpg
C360_2013-07-12-16-43-47-224 by deathadder_44, on Flickr

The nib and feed: the nib is a gold coloured stainless steel nib which draws a fine and continuous line without any skipping. the ink flow is smooth and satisfactory without any problem (i used a camel royal blue ink).

the nib.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2880/9272455749_5c01a2cb27.jpg
C360_2013-07-12-16-41-17-920 by deathadder_44, on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5342/9272465901_249c5b2819.jpg
C360_2013-07-12-16-41-59-927 by deathadder_44, on Flickr

sorry i forgot to take the pictures of the nib and feed removed. the feed is standard ebonite which performs quite satisfactorily.

Conclusion: it is a fine everyday writing instrument which does its work well. it is nothing fancy and yet it feels good to look at. perhaps because to me, it represents the fine art of penmanship which was taught in the schools during my school years, an art which is slowly getting dissolved in this chaotic world of competition. this pen, like many others i own, brings back the memories of those care-free days! but all that aside, this is a good reliable pen which does what is has to do and does it well without ringing too many bells!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cjpandya

• drvishal

• maverink

• vaas

Nice review with clear pictures. Keep it up.

Cheers!

Brahmam

Oh! my dear, dear Free-will!

Tell me really, "Will I ever be free?"

Allow me until my body becomes still,

To sacrifice as a still standing tree!

- Just another tumble weed!

sorry about the typing errors! in the introduction part, as you know from the heading, the name of the pen is camlin "Sleek" and not "sllek" as i wrote! :D and secondly in the "nib and feed" section i wrote "i used A camel royal blue ink". my bad! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good review and pictures .

It comes only with broad nib ..Are camlin nibs available in local market in case of a nib change ??

Good review and pictures .

It comes only with broad nib ..Are camlin nibs available in local market in case of a nib change ??

Thank you! All the camlin pens i own have factory-made "fine" nib on them, and i personally have not seen any camlin pen with medium or broad nib yet. And as for the nibs, i have not seen camlin nibs sold separately in the market but i have had one of my camlin pens restored and it accepted a locally made unmarked nib and i did not face any issues with it.

Edited by cjpandya

• 3 months later...

Great review. This was one of my favorite pens when I was in 4th standard in the year 1996. As kids that was the first year when we were made to use Pens. It was in the second or third month of that year when I got that pen. The design as you say is flawless and the writing is also good. What I fell in love with was the piston at the back. I mean many other pens may be having similar mechanism but to me at that time it was novelty personified. It was so clean to fill ink in it. No need to open the pen at all.

Those days it would cost 35 Indian rupees I believe.

I bought it today from the stationery supply for 60 Indian rupees. I am feeling very nostalgic today. Great to relive old memories.

Since many years I was using ball pens. Since past 1 week or so my interest in fountain pens has been rekindled.

Great forum. :)

Good review. Love the pictures.

I like the subtleties if this design. Nothing pretentious. A very classy pen.

• 2 months later...

Appreciate someone taking the time to review Camlins. They might be cheap, but offer great value for money. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Great review. This was one of my favorite pens when I was in 4th standard in the year 1996. As kids that was the first year when we were made to use Pens. It was in the second or third month of that year when I got that pen. The design as you say is flawless and the writing is also good. What I fell in love with was the piston at the back. I mean many other pens may be having similar mechanism but to me at that time it was novelty personified. It was so clean to fill ink in it. No need to open the pen at all.

Those days it would cost 35 Indian rupees I believe.

I bought it today from the stationery supply for 60 Indian rupees. I am feeling very nostalgic today. Great to relive old memories.

Since many years I was using ball pens. Since past 1 week or so my interest in fountain pens has been rekindled.

Great forum. :)

Glad to know that you are back to using FP's and were also able to buy a camlin you used in your childhood! Truly the writing pleasure good FP's provide can't be beaten! Enjoy your "New-Old" interest! :-)

Appreciate someone taking the time to review Camlins. They might be cheap, but offer great value for money. Thank you.

I cannot agree more. One of the few brands that makes good quality affordable to the masses.

Edited by cjpandya

Good review. Love the pictures.

I like the subtleties if this design. Nothing pretentious. A very classy pen.

Thank you! :-) Glad you liked the design. And about the design, it does comes from the "no nonsense" era ot FP's when designs were classically elegant and functional.

Wonderful review and I managed to buy an nos sleek from a pen shop pure nostalgia

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Wonderful review and I managed to buy an nos sleek from a pen shop pure nostalgia

Thank you! Glad to know you liked the review. Im happy you were able to find the pen, such fine value-for-money pens are getting rare day by day, and ofcourse with the feeling of nostalgia they endow..its just priceless! :-)

• 4 years later...

Its a great review. I'm new to fountain pen collection. I have some pens with me now. I am in search for this pen. cant find anywhere. I am in Tamilnadu, India. If anybody knows where i could find one please let me know.

Edited by vaas