Sailor Bung Box Sweet Potato Yellow

saskia_madding

A while ago, a long long while, I asked the inestimable Sam_Capote, who I had previously assumed owned every ink under the sun if he had tried out Bung Box inks made by Sailor. He had never heard of the inks and proceeded to go through hell and high water working with a forwarding service to get them to him. He very nicely put up some samples, which after almost a year, I consulted before I finally got some of the inks for myself.

Instead of going with a forwarding service, I asked cool-japan on ebay about it, the amazing guy who has been selling me all the Kobe inks I have reviewed recently.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Bung%20Box/DSC10518_zpse95f861f.jpg

I don't have much use for yellow inks, but if I did. I'd like this one. It's got an appealing orange-yellow sheen that brightens the ink even more.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Bung%20Box/DSC10519_zpsf46d9718.jpg

I like the shading a lot too.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Bung%20Box/DSC10522_zps940afa6f.jpg

It behaves well on all types of paper.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Bung%20Box/DSC10520_zps1c442145.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Bung%20Box/DSC10521_zpsf65a9276.jpg

The only downside is the price. When I asked cool-japan why he didn't normally stock the inks, he told me it was because he couldn't get as good a price for the Bung Box inks as he was getting for the Kobe ones, and he didn't think anyone would want to pay $40 USD for a 50 mL bottle of ink. Considering the shipping was free and there were no customs charges, I didn't feel it was painfully expensive. :D

More photos in my review album here.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Barkingpig

• saskia_madding

• swanjun

• EclecticCollector

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for this review. I recently got a bottle from Vanness Pens after reading your review. I am very happy to have it & think it is a great "Springtime" ink after the winter snows some of us have endured. Will I find myself "needing" to use it? I can't think I would actually need MOST of the inks I am acquiring BUT it sure is fun to discover all these great colors after growing up in the 50's & 60's with the "Blue family!"

I thank you for your bringing so many of them to our attention & also to the Vannesses & Cool Japan for bringing them to us! (I actually added to an order last week that had not shipped yet from Atsu..........He is GREAT!)

I can't believe I've never commented on this, since I do come back and look at it from time to time as I keep rethinking whether I need it or not. I confess I *have* had a hankering to write in yellow recently...

Barkingpig, when did you get your bottle? I was under the impression that this is a seasonal ink and currently unavailable.

Barkingpig, when did you get your bottle? I was under the impression that this is a seasonal ink and currently unavailable.

I purchased mine from Vanness on April 18, 2015. I don't remember if the color was listed on their classified advertisement here on FPN or if I learned of it after calling them (after reading said advertisement.) I check the classifieds here daily & they usually post when they receive a new shipment. After receiving this bottle when I saw the next post I called & have two more bottles (other colors) coming. They seem to get in "small orders" in each shipment BUT they have been getting in shipments pretty often. The reason I mention this is when I call them there are not usually more than a couple of bottles left in each color from that shipment. So it is best to act quickly when they post a notice of Bung Box arrival.

I hope you can get a bottle without "much ado" as it is a really pretty color.