Is The Omas 360 Comfortable To Hold/ Use?

Penne Stilografiche

I don't remember specifically, but at one time Omas made a larger 360, larger than those linked to at nibs.com.

The auction pen is 6 1/4" long. If that's capped it might be the big one, and $300 would be a steal for both.

gary

The bigger version was called the Magnum and it is quite hard to find. $300 for a Magnum (and matching pencil) would indeed be a steal. According to John Mottishaw that version was discontinued in 1998, so the Magnum was only made for a few years.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penne Stilografiche

• georges zaslavsky

• raging.dragon

• Florida Blue

The bigger version was called the Magnum and it is quite hard to find. $300 for a Magnum (and matching pencil) would indeed be a steal. According to John Mottishaw that version was discontinued in 1998, so the Magnum was only made for a few years.

Could this be the Magnum?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

Could this be the Magnum?

It could be. It's hard to tell from a photo. The standard size 360 was 6" capped and the Magnum was 6.25." Plus I think it was fatter.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

It could be. It's hard to tell from a photo. The standard size 360 was 6" capped and the Magnum was 6.25." Plus I think it was fatter.

Well the seller said it was 6 1/4 in long, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

—Oscar Wilde

Well the seller said it was 6 1/4 in long, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It sounds like you might have got quite a score! Good luck, I hope it is one.

The set looks nice..but the nib in the pictures..look

like a modified Omas nib..ie italic or stub....

Omas "360" nibs are round..like a ball point..

which write smooth in all directions...Re..

specifications..check out the booklet which came

with my blue black 360 Magnum {purchased in 1998}..

When you receive your pen..measure and examine

the nib..

fpn_1373674811__omas360magnumbluedblackr

Fred

The set looks nice..but the nib in the pictures..look

like a modified Omas nib..ie italic or stub....

Omas "360" nibs are round..like a ball point..

which write smooth in all directions...Re..

specifications..check out the booklet which came

with my blue black 360 Magnum {purchased in 1998}..

When you receive your pen..measure and examine

the nib..

fpn_1373674811__omas360magnumbluedblackr

Fred

Thanks for the heads up, it does not look completely spherical as it should. If it does happen to be modified then I will buy a replacement nib as I see them all the time on ebay.

—Oscar Wilde

I don't remember specifically, but at one time Omas made a larger 360, larger than those linked to at nibs.com.

The auction pen is 6 1/4" long. If that's capped it might be the big one, and $300 would be a steal for both.

gary

I think you are correct. I just measured my pens and the 360 is 6" and the 360 Magnum is a bit over 6 1/4".

I think you are correct. I just measured my pens and the 360 is 6" and the 360 Magnum is a bit over 6 1/4".

Indeed

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I received the pen and I must say that the nibs is very smooth and seems to be original, but I hate the section. :wallbash: Did they ever make a piston filling 360 but with the cylindrical section?

Thanks

—Oscar Wilde

I received the pen and I must say that the nibs is very smooth and seems to be original, but I hate the section. :wallbash: Did they ever make a piston filling 360 but with the cylindrical section?

Thanks

No, they didn't

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks

I guess I spoke too soon... Now that I keep writing with it, it is starting to feel a lot more comfortable. Does anyone know if there is a pen restorer who could take small scratches out of it? Maybe fill them with resin?

Thanks

—Oscar Wilde

360s are nice! You just get used to them after a while, otherwise the nibs can be rotated. Those who write with a hooked grip can rotate the nib parallel to the facet, perhaps...

• 3 weeks later...

No problem to write with the triangular version, although I have to say I never have very long writing sessions in which case it might become less comforting to write with.

• 1 year later...

Can I reinvigorate this thread please?

I don't own a 360, but have spent all weekend cleaning one for a colleague. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. But it wasn't until I'd cleaned it and put some ink in it, that I found the triangular section quite a challenge. I'm getting used to it. I'm a leftie underwriter and I'd be interested in the experiences of others similarly 'challenged' with this pen. Mention was made of rotating the nib earlier in this thread by raging dragon. How easy is that to accomplish?

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Can I reinvigorate this thread please?

I don't own a 360, but have spent all weekend cleaning one for a colleague. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. But it wasn't until I'd cleaned it and put some ink in it, that I found the triangular section quite a challenge. I'm getting used to it. I'm a leftie underwriter and I'd be interested in the experiences of others similarly 'challenged' with this pen. Mention was made of rotating the nib earlier in this thread by raging dragon. How easy is that to accomplish?

I'm not a southpaw..and use 360's without any modifications....

John Mottishaw may be able to help..he will rotate the nib for a small fee....

Consider contacting him and discuss.....Scroll down to....If your 360 isn't

comfortable for your writing style..........

http://www.nibs.com/Omas360Collection.htm

Fred

enjoying St. Joseph's sfingi and hot black coffee