#1 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 15:16

Hello!  I have several cheap Parker pens—Vectors, Jotters, one 88 Place Vendome...—and enjoy them quite a bit. Recently, I have decided to make a greater effort toward acquiring pens with gold nibs and was wondering... are there any modern Parkers with gold nibs in the $100-200 range?  Anyone have any specific recommendations?  This would obviously be my first high-end Parker.  I'd be willing to consider a vintage pen, too.

Thanks in advance!

#2 RuiFromUK

RuiFromUK

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 15:24

It is a pity you are not in UK. WH Smith has the Parker Duofold with a special price at the moment:

http://www.whsmith.c...m Pens 33569673

Ps. I am not associated with this company.

Kind regards,

Rui

#3 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• 1,124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 15:26

Ooh, that's a beauty.  I should perhaps add that I am going to be putting a little money aside each month to save up for nice pens (I've got enough cheapies!), so I wouldn't have been able to afford this at present even if I were in the UK. :)

#4 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 16:24

Well, I would consider vintage pens. For example, right now in the FPN Classifieds, there are people fellow FPN members selling Parker 51 pens for about $80 or $85 each. Even other vendors like Old Griz sell 51's in the $100-$150 range. 

#5 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 16:41

Here's a suggestion a Parker Sonnet I saw on amazon a few days a go with solid 18k gold nib for only £65 (95 USD) . I don't know how much it would be in the USA however there are some good priced pens on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...et fountain pen

#6 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• 1,124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 16:48

Well, I would consider vintage pens. For example, right now in the FPN Classifieds, there are people fellow FPN members selling Parker 51 pens for about $80 or $85 each. Even other vendors like Old Griz sell 51's in the $100-$150 range. 

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but... the 51s do have gold nibs?  I wasn't sure about that.  And, really, it doesn't *have* to be gold.  I just want something of true quality that will be smooth and sort of, well, luxurious-feeling. :)

Here's a suggestion a Parker Sonnet I saw on amazon a few days a go with solid 18k gold nib for only £65 (95 USD) . I don't know how much it would be in the USA however there are some good priced pens on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...et fountain pen

Thanks!  All of the Sonnets I saw on the US amazon had steel nibs.

#7 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• 1,124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 16:54

Uh-oh. I think I fell in love with a "blue check" Duofold, as seen here:

http://www.fountainp...old-centennial/

#8 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 16:56

The Parker 51's all have gold nibs, if it says it has a steel nib, it is either a fake pen, or a pen which has had the original nib switched out for a POS Chinese  steel nib. If you want get a real Parker 51, check out what a reputable vendor like Old Gris, aka Tom Mullane has to offer.

#9 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• 1,124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 16:58

The Parker 51's all have gold nibs, if it says it has a steel nib, it is either a fake pen, or a pen which has had the original nib switched out for a POS Chinese  steel nib. If you want get a real Parker 51, check out what a reputable vendor like Old Gris, aka Tom Mullane has to offer.

Thanks. :)

#10 irrigger

irrigger

MEEEEEEEP!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 17:08

That is 100% wrong about the steel nibs.  Parker offered " octanium" nibs for the 51 in later years.  If you want to see current pricing, just go to parker51.com/ parts for your nib options.

#11 sherbie

sherbie

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 18:48

Suggest you take a look at the staggeringly beautiful photos in the "51 colours" thread on this forum currently. Now undoubtedly, there are some expensive pens in there ( the double jeweled pens for example), but the aerometrics are very well priced, as mentioned above.

You could even get out to antique stores and flea markets and find one of these for less than 20$, and with a bit of a clean and flush, get it working within a few hours. 

Happy hunting, Paul

#12 cambookpro

cambookpro

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 19:23

I recently bought a nib from here for my Sonnet, but it's gold plated rather than all gold. Obviously not what you're looking for, but I find the gold plated ones pretty smooth.

I've seen gold nibbed Sonnets go on Amazon Marketplace for about £60 before, so they're not that expensive.

If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?

#13 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 2,976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 19:30

Generally, older Parker 51s, eg Vacumatics and Aeromatics, have gold nibs, and Parker 51 Specials have octanium nibs. However, if the pen has been repaired it may have an octanium nib. And to add to the confusion, some Specials have gold nibs (I have one).

Older Sonnets have solid gold nibs and tend to be trouble-free. However there have been a number of complaints on the FPN about recent Sonnets.

Parker 100s have gold nibs, but they are very soft, and some don't like the size/heft of those pens.

As for writing pleasure, it all depends on the tipping, not the rest of the nib. One of my nicest writing pens is a $6 Kaigelu 356 with solid stainless steel nib, and it is up there with my Sailors, Sonnet and Parker 51s.

Posted Image

#14 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• 1,124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 19:36

As for writing pleasure, it all depends on the tipping, not the rest of the nib. One of my nicest writing pens is a $6 Kaigelu 356 with solid stainless steel nib, and it is up there with my Sailors, Sonnet and Parker 51s.

Yeah, after I posted this topic, I read something where Richard Binder is basically saying the same thing re: tipping. 

#15 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 20:03

With that price in mind, a "51" is easily achievable, and you can also look at getting a 75.  I've only gotten onto 75s in the past year, and they are perilously close to becoming a favourite pen.

...of course, going older wouldn't hurt either; Vacumatics are extremely nice to write with.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

#16 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,125 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 21:00

I have gotten a bit tired of the 51s.  I have recently bought about 15 Sonnets used on ebay for prices in the $40 to $60 area, most with 18K fine nibs, a few mediums.

There is a well known French seller on Amazon who sells pens with both steel and gold nibs, and has good nib prices.  I have bought a couple of gold italics from him.  Nice nibs.

All the ebay Sonnets I have bought have been genuine, exhibiting none of the signs of fakes.  The pens have generally been very nice with the exception of two bent nibs that I should have spotted. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#17 hccohen

hccohen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 21:01

Amazon has the Parker Sonnett in Sterling for just over 200 and it has a 18K nib

#18 Freddy

Freddy

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,614 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 21:04

Swanjun wrote: "...are there any modern Parkers with gold nibs in the $100-200 range?  Anyone have any specific recommendations?  This would obviously be my first high-end Parker.  I'd be willing to consider a vintage pen, too."

For your consideration...

Parker{s}..Challenger..button filler..

U.K Duofold..Slimfold..aerometric fillers..

"45" converter cartridge filler..

Fred

Adios.... .

Edited by Freddy, 11 July 2013 - 20:07.

#19 Tom Aquinas

Tom Aquinas

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,625 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 23:39

If it is a steel nib , it could either be a Parker 21 which did have steel nibs, or a Parker 21 nib in a 51. Parker fitted a Parker 51 gold nib into my 21 when I was 18yo, and the Parker workshop technician told me the nibs were compatible.

The prices you are being quoted for 51s are reasonable. Look out for the CC version of the 61 as well.

#20 Leftytoo

Leftytoo

Miner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 00:39

You specifically stated you want a modern pen. That leaves out the Parker 51 (a good pen, but I like my vintage 1950 Italian Aurora 88 better). I have owned both the high end Sonnet with gold nib and a modern Duofold with gold nib. I think the Sonnet is a so-so pen; nothing special. Its best feature is its size and ergonomics.

My modern made-in-UK Duofold International, on the other hand, is one of my real "keepers". The fit and finish is superior to my Sailors, Pelikans, and Auroras. It is made of a scratch-resistant hard cast acrylic which never gets dull. The nib is soft and smooth and trouble free. It uses an oversize ink cartridge with double the capacity of a standard international.

Bob
Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

#21 DrCodfish

DrCodfish

neophyte

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:17

Swan:

In that price range, and since you are talking Parker I would say you have a huge range of opportunities.

I have more than half a dozen 51's all well under $200 and almost all of them are fantastic writers.  In fact something about these pens seems to me to make them above average performers in my book.  The P51 is a slippery slope, I just had a look and I'll just say ... quite a few more than half a dozen.

two of my all time fave pens are a 1945 green pearl Vacumatic (incredibly pretty as well as a great performer) and a 1926 Duofold with a broad stub nib.  Both are fantastic writers;  think of it, a pen that is 87 years old and works just a well as it did the day it came out of the factory.  This is not a pristine show pen, it's a writer but aside from one small repaired lip crack and some brassing to the clip ball and band, this is a beautiful, classic, perhaps iconic piece of indistrial art.  The green pearl Vac is one of those things you catch yourself staring at in midsentence in the right light, well, in almost any light for that matter.  Both have gold nibs, the vac is a little springy, the Big Red is a nail, but a very smooth nail.

I tell people that Pelikans are my favorite pen,  but if I took care to make a close count, I think I might come up with more Parkers.

#22 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• 1,124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:55

@Leftytoo and @DrCodfish --  I am thinking 51 in the short-term and Duofold in the long-term (gotta save!), so you've reinforced that decision. :)

#23 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 922 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:27

If you'll consider vintage, how about a lucky curve jackknife safety model from teens-20s. Excellent gold nibs in those pens and well preserved specimens can be had in the100-200 dollar range. 

Edited by cellmatrix, 11 July 2013 - 03:46.

#24 DrCodfish

DrCodfish

neophyte

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:58

@Leftytoo and @DrCodfish --  I am thinking 51 in the short-term and Duofold in the long-term (gotta save!), so you've reinforced that decision. :)

Can't go wrong with that!

#25 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• 7,082 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 16:10

Can't go wrong with that!

Sure you can!  The excellent performance of the older pen sets a mighty high bar for the new one, and its more baroque decoration might not cover possible shortcomings.  ;)

I speak in utter ignorance, of course, as I've never actually tried the modern Duofold.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman, 11 July 2013 - 16:10.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

#26 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• 1,124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 16:45

Sure you can!  The excellent performance of the older pen sets a mighty high bar for the new one, and its more baroque decoration might not cover possible shortcomings.  ;)

I have never fallen in love with a pen for its finish before, but in this case, I am going to have to exclaim, "But it's so pretty!" :D

#27 rochester21

rochester21

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 18:59

You can score a parker 75 in various finishes for ~70 dollars, the 51 comes to mind as well at around the same price.  If you`re willing to spend 200-250 dollars, you can get the ultimate parker- the duofold. 

Even old low-end models from parker can have great gold nibs. The one on my parker 17 super duofold(30 dollars) looks great and is very smooth and soft. Just lovely. Of course, you have to be careful where you buy them from, since these are old and sometimes abused pens :)

Edited by rochester21, 11 July 2013 - 19:02.

#28 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,048 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 19:43

Hi,

+1 for the English Duofolds with aerometric fill system. Sumptuous somewhat firm nibs. Profoundly simple appearance. Best purchased in fully restored condition from a well-regarded Vendor, though I've done quite well on eB@y dot co dot uk : a full-on cleansing with a minor bit of nib tuning seems to set things right.

I've yet to dip a toe into the 75 pool - especially as it seems those are addictive, and I'm developing a penchant for Sterling pens . . .

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#29 ALEXANDER999

ALEXANDER999

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 23:38

Hi,

+1 for the English Duofolds with aerometric fill system. Sumptuous somewhat firm nibs. Profoundly simple appearance. Best purchased in fully restored condition from a well-regarded Vendor, though I've done quite well on eB@y dot co dot uk : a full-on cleansing with a minor bit of nib tuning seems to set things right.

I've yet to dip a toe into the 75 pool - especially as it seems those are addictive, and I'm developing a penchant for Sterling pens . . .

Bye,
S1

So so true Sandy :) 
I have found myself magically drawn to the 75 sterling silver crosshatch(cisele) just mesmerized me.
Now all I need is that perfect blue ink !!!

Edited by ALEXANDER999, 11 July 2013 - 23:39.

#30 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Premium - Ruby

• 6,125 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:45

You specifically stated you want a modern pen. That leaves out the Parker 51 (a good pen, but I like my vintage 1950 Italian Aurora 88 better). I have owned both the high end Sonnet with gold nib and a modern Duofold with gold nib. I think the Sonnet is a so-so pen; nothing special. Its best feature is its size and ergonomics.

My modern made-in-UK Duofold International, on the other hand, is one of my real "keepers". The fit and finish is superior to my Sailors, Pelikans, and Auroras. It is made of a scratch-resistant hard cast acrylic which never gets dull. The nib is soft and smooth and trouble free. It uses an oversize ink cartridge with double the capacity of a standard international.

Bob

The price of the dUOFOLD  is a real keeper too.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.