Cheap Bottled Ink I Can Bring To High School And Leave In Locker?

JeremyB796

Syringes at school? I'm sure there's a law about that somewhere...Pipette or eyedropper would be better at school. Nalgene bottles are excellent too.

No, I didn't mean for him to take the syringes to school. Besides, they are the blunt tipped needles used in chem labs all the time. They are actually called dispensing or decanting needles. Legal in all 50 states. Still, good point, I would not have taken them, nor would suggest that. I wont even carry a hypodermic around casually and I legally can.

What I intended was using them to decant the ink from the bottle at home into the conical tube. These tubes are small (suggested 10mL version), leak proof, reusable and very difficult to fracture. Plus cheap, 25 for $2.90. They are bigger/similar versions of the ones Goulet uses for their samples.

As for filling, I'd stick with the old dip the pen in the ink, twist the converter, wipe off nib and off you go.

Any option the OP uses will work better than having a glass bottle in the locker. That's all, didn't intend to cause any confusion.

No-no lol, I wasn't going to bring the syringe to school, I wouldn't want to get in trouble or anything.

(could bring a pickle to school and get arrested for having a weapon xD)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeremyB796

• Dillo

• josiah

• Sasha Royale

After giving this topic some thought, here's the strategy I'd suggest:

0. You've mentioned you're using a converter. Good. If you're using Noodler's HoD, I'd guess that it can be used safely with a more conventional black ink (such as Skrip Black). So buy a pack of cartridges of a conventional black ink that will fit your pen, such as

I know that there is concern that used cartridges, punctured by the pen, will leak. They don't, unless shaken

violently or warmed by body heat. Why doesn't the cartridge leak ? Ask science teacher about "air pressure"

and "surface tension". Better yet, suggest a science paper for credit. .

By the way, one, who applies science to solve a problem, is called an "engineer".

Hang-on, Jeremy !

High school is one big test. Right now, it seems that punks and hopheads rule the world. They don't.

After high school (and good grades), you are going to find a world full of things you have not dreamed of.

I envy you for the future through which you will soar. (There is college and Navy wings and aircraft carriers,

if you want them. And things that don't even have names, yet, in 2013.)

Well that makes me feel better about the cartridges.

Another +1 for the small Nalgene bottles. I love Nalgenes and I prefer to use them over sample vials just because they seem sturdier. I haven't had a sample vial leak or crack yet, but I always end up getting inky cap threads and I'm always nervous about just throwing the hard sided plastic into the bottom of my bag. Plus, you can get better carry capacity with the Nalgenes. I wouldn't go outright with the 1oz bottles though. Nalgene also has a 0.5oz (15ml) bottle that I feel is the perfect size but a few years ago they became difficult to find as sold in single pieces and now the only place I know that has them sells them a dozen at a time.

Another thing to note is that Lamy F nibs don't really use up a lot of ink at a time. Not sure how much writing you would have to do in school but through both high school and college I wrote with a Lamy Safari F and NEVER ran out of ink in a day with a full converter fill. If you make it a habit of topping off your ink at night you might not even have to carry extra ink. Mind you back then I still carried the 0.5oz Nalgene as well as a spare gel pen just in case.

But I am fortunate enough to be able to keep a bottle of ink on my desk at work so the smaller carry bottle is more for when I go out on trips.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2828/9259749083_7785b7dc50_c.jpg

Do you mean the ones found here?

It's the only place I found them.

Hi,

The little Nalgenes are definitely a good option, also, if you get a bunch, you can use them for other things too.

Anyway, seriously, unless your pen doesn't have an ink window, I recommend checking the pen every night and filling it if it looks close to empty. You mention that you have a Lamy with a converter, and with those pens, it's not very hard to see how much ink you have left. This can save you some trouble of taking ink to school. When I carried ink with me, it was because I had only one pen and no way to know how much ink was in it. With my Lamy ABC, I can write for several days without filling, so you can likely fill your pen every two days and be fine. Carrying ink in a container can be a hassle since even a small amount of ink can make a really big mess. You can save yourself a lot of trouble by just bringing your pen with you and making sure it is topped up every now and then. I've only carried ink with me at one period of my life, then I took a number of pens instead of just one and kept track of how full each pen was. I still keep track of how full every pen I have is. I can look at a pen on my desk and have a good idea how full it is, so I know when I have to fill my pens.

Dillon

I only have one pen as my Preppy is starting to...well...become an annoyance.

What I do (I use fountain pens in class) is to fill the converter full each day, and then carry a spare cartridge around. It's kind of hard to get through a converter-fill and a cartridge in a day, unless you're writing a good fifty pages.

Smashed ink bottles will get thanks from no one, and some of Noodler's Inks require a heavy dose of Amodex, bleach, and lots of scrubbing and feeling like Cinderella to get the stain out. I use Lamy blue (along with the cartridge) at school, because it's cheap and the ink comes in both bottle and cartridge formats.

I also suggest against making Preppies into eyedroppers, as a lot of people have noted that the body cracks easily. And then you won't be thanking yourself.

Using FPs in junior highs and high schools is a tricky business. Also, the high school favourite notebook - Mead - is decidedly anti-FP.

I wouldn't be taking Noodler's Inks to school,I was looking to for something much cheaper (The cheapest I have found are bottles of Pilot inks)

Oh, yes, the Preppy came pre modified...it's awful, the collector flooded, had to clean the pen, and I have little to no intent on using it like this after.

Luckily I can just toss the ring and just put a cartridge in it or something...though I think this pen might be shot as it sometimes doesn't lay down ink when going up...oh well, cheap pen.

Oh, yes, the Preppy came pre modified...it's awful, the collector flooded, had to clean the pen, and I have little to no intent on using it like this after.

Can you describe? The fins are supposed to fill with ink. That's it's job.

I think that a couple of sample vials in a ziplock bag in your backpack is the best way to go. They're durable and they are small enough that no one would bother them.

“Left-handers are wired into the artistic half of the brain, which makes them imaginative, creative, surprising, ambiguous, exasperating, stubborn, emotional, witty, obsessive, infuriating, delightful, original, but never, never, dull" James T deKay and Sandy Huffaker

At school, at work, during a test, attending a meeting with your boss, the pen must work correctly.

LAMY cartridges in your LAMY pen. Parker cartridges in your Parker pen. etc. etc. etc.

Will a "mismatch" damage your pen, or come loose and leak, or just stop working at the worse time ?

Experiment at home when it is not important.

Can i make a ten cent no-name cartridge work in my LAMY Safari, without damaging the innerds ?

Don't know. Never tried. I put the LAMY cartridges on my "Santa List" , and refill them a dozen times.

People will welcome getting you things you really want, for Christmas. Isn't a $5 pack of cartridges, or

a $10 bottle of ink, better than UNDERWEAR, or a green and violet tie ?

Glad you are here with us.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Can you describe? The fins are supposed to fill with ink. That's it's job.

Oh it's nothing really, just a lot of spurting and getting ink all over my hands...

now it doesn't spurts but now it gives a slow leak that goes unnoticed util I have black finger tips. It doesn't matter to me now, I'll just use the rollerball tip and use my Lamy Safari for most stuff.

I think that a couple of sample vials in a ziplock bag in your backpack is the best way to go. They're durable and they are small enough that no one would bother them.

Lol, I would of never of thought about a ziplock baggy :unsure: oops.

that would of been messy, good thing my backpack is blacker than the darkness in the night.

At school, at work, during a test, attending a meeting with your boss, the pen must work correctly.

LAMY cartridges in your LAMY pen. Parker cartridges in your Parker pen. etc. etc. etc.

Will a "mismatch" damage your pen, or come loose and leak, or just stop working at the worse time ?

Experiment at home when it is not important.

Can i make a ten cent no-name cartridge work in my LAMY Safari, without damaging the innerds ?

Don't know. Never tried. I put the LAMY cartridges on my "Santa List" , and refill them a dozen times.

People will welcome getting you things you really want, for Christmas. Isn't a $5 pack of cartridges, or

a $10 bottle of ink, better than UNDERWEAR, or a green and violet tie ?

Glad you are here with us.

Yea, I was thinking that the cartrages would be better than the converter in a school situation, but now that I see the price compared to bottles...meehhh---

I suppose I could get a few of those cheap-o ones and test them...there is a small unfinished compatibility list...if any of those pens were similar enough.

To me- Ink or cartradges would be a lot better than underwear...but I DO need socks though :lticaptd:

Thank you, I'm glad to be here (?, trying not to be awkward ;; )

Edited by JeremyB796

I know that there is concern that used cartridges, punctured by the pen, will leak. They don't, unless shaken

violently or warmed by body heat. Why doesn't the cartridge leak ? Ask science teacher about "air pressure"

and "surface tension". Better yet, suggest a science paper for credit.

Another thing that may cause leakage is something bursting the 'skin' of the surface tension, such as may happen if the hole comes into contact with another item, for example another cartridge or the pliant material that makes of the bag that might be carrying them. A small bit of tape or a dot sticker could be a reasonable security measure, in this case.

Hero brand ink

Around 5 on ebay (quite a large bottle... dont know how much it is, i removed the tags! sorry)

Glass bottle, decent ink, writes well, lasts quite a long time

Or if you want a plastic bottle, use higgins ink :) 5 for about 1 fl oz/ 29.6 ml, many great colors. some of them are waterproof and are a few cents more expensive. theres an eyedropper too. you can find them in any art store

"But why do you always speak in riddles?"
"I solve them all."

(Sorry for double posting)

On cartridges-

you can re use them! Get a needle and fill her up with whatever ink, poke at your cartridge at the end and inject. Try to remember where you poked it so you don't inject too many holes. Should last an entire school day, or bring two. You can seal them up with a bit of tape, or hot glue if you can bother with that.

I happen to own a Lamy too :) The Safari, in charcoal black.

"But why do you always speak in riddles?"
"I solve them all."

Hi,

A warning about Higgins...Although it says it can be used with fountain pens, I've seen pens that were seriously clogged by it, and it is very hard to unclog them. The ink often gets impacted in the feed after some time. Take some care if you want to use it. In my experience, the Platinum or Sailor pigment inks are better flowing and easier to clean if you want something waterproof, but they aren't really cheap. If you really want, it is possible to get Pelikan blue and black inks in 1l or 250 ml bottles, and those are some of the cheapest inks if you can find them in those sizes.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I picked up a pack of sample vials at Gouletpens.com. I'll keep the glass bottle on my desk and I'll usually carry a vial of each ink to refill each of my pens for the ink i'm using, then I'll keep the vial in a plastic baggie in case of leaks/breaking. (neither has happened, but I'd like to be protected against my notebooks getting ruined over an ink spill)

Choose a container that won't have you summoned to the headmaster's office on suspicion of abuse of recreational pharmaceuticals if a teacher finds it.

+1 on the Vac 700 Bottles. Cheap, plastic, and TWSBI is known for making tough stuff.

http://www.venganza.org/images/fsm.png

If you hadn't already ordered any pens or inks, it would have been a good idea IMO to consider something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-HERO-329-FOUNTAIN-PEN-INK-INCLUDED-/330949272789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0e1d24d5

super affordable and thus replaceable pen and ink combo, in case the punks went ahead for your pen too.

Also the pen itself is quite subtle and not cheerful enough to attract any attention.

But since you have quite a bit of ink there, I would say sample vials (fill them up to 3-4 ml, no need for more) are the way to go.

Hopefully your Safari is a charcoal one and not a poppy neon yellow...

Edited by inotrym

Don't want to be a wet blanket, but the idea of decanting ink into unmarked plastic bottles and a high schooler bringing those and syringes to school to put in their locker is not so great of an idea! The way schools are reacting to what teens wear or bring to school these days, these activities will probably get our OP in deep trouble. I would check to see how full my pen was every morning before school and leave one box of cartridges in my locker for the rare ocassion when I ran out. Much cleaner that trying to fill a fountian pen in a school environment and much less likely to create a big mess or get someone in trouble.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

+1 Perry!

I used fountain pens in high school. Technologically speaking, this was not that long ago: most people were using mechanical pencils, ballpoint pens, gel roller pens—I don't remember anyone else, teacher or student, using fountain pens. I used cartridges because I didn't know that there were such a thing as cartridge converters. I almost never needed to refill at school; when I did, I had a couple cartridges handy.

I was also at a school with a bad reputation, but fortunately there were no inky disasters. I'm not saying they couldn't happen, just that I didn't fall victim to any. I'd be more concerned about spilling a bottle accidentally than somebody maliciously doing so. A quantity of ink in the range of one to five mL can make a pretty substantial mess, if a person is a talented klutz! So I will reiterate my original suggestion:

1. Fill the converter at home; a top-off in the evening before bed or just before leaving for school in the morning is pretty likely to provide a day's supply of ink or more.

2. If you must refill at school, have a small supply of cartridges handy. If you want to reuse cartridges, there are many suggestions on how to do this; if not, use something like Skrip that will probably mix reasonably well with whatever you had in your pen before.

3. If you are in a bind and run out of ink without any cartridges handy, draw in a small amount of water from a water fountain. Noodler's inks, and a few others besides, are typically so saturated that after a few minutes the ink and water will mix to look nearly as dark as the original ink.

I would advise against stashing ink bottles, even 7 mL sample vials. If you are concerned with messes being made by maliciousness or clumsiness, which seems wise to me, the best practice is to only use the bottles at home.

When I was at college (that makes it seem like a long time ago, it was only a couple of months ago!), I would fill my dedicated Black pen each morning. The chance of going through an entire converter was very slim, so was quite safe doing this. When it was exam season I would have two pens filled with black ink, just in case. Last thing I wanted was to have to use a Biro of similar torture device for an exam that lasted up to seven hours. I never ran out of ink in both pens, mainly because I was in a routine to re-ink them daily.