The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Monteverde Intima

monteverde intima monteverde intima

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dot

dot

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Location:American based in the Philippines; current location changeable
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2013 - 15:16

IMG_0024_zps02405c69.jpg

A few weeks ago, I bought the Monteverde Intima in Neon Pink with a fine nib; I'm not a great reviewer (far too enamored far too easily) but I thought I'd share some thoughts.

IMG_0029_zps13831d1c.jpg

If anything, the pen is a little bulkier than I like (I love me some small pens) but still well balanced and light, thanks to the

material.

IMG_0038_zpsc6509b05.jpg

The juxtaposition of the color palette with the shape and heft continue to be pleasantly striking, for me. Here she is with a Pilot 78g and a Lamy Al-Star, both of which look so much more serious. I think the Intima will be a creative writing pen.

IMG_0040_zpsbc3ebe9d.jpg

Edited by dot, 09 July 2013 - 15:18.

Sponsored Content

#2 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2013 - 15:26

nice review and nice pen :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#3 dot

dot

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2013 - 17:57

Thanks! It's so deliciously showy! I think it'll astound muggles.

#4 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2013 - 18:07

Thanks Dot, very cute. Where does the step hit your hand?

#5 dot

dot

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2013 - 18:19

Where does the step hit your hand?

Please excuse my ignorance; what do you mean by step?

#6 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2013 - 19:15

The step down from the barrel to the threaded portion. 

This pen has a step.

0101.jpg?w=1000&h=

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#7 dot

dot

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2013 - 19:53

Thanks for the fountain pen anatomy! I figured that was probably it but didn't want to confuse things. 

Uncle Red, when I'm holding the pen to write, the step is in line with the metacarpophalangeal joint on my thumb; it usually doesn't touch (although occasionally my thumb rests on the threads, which I think is bothersome to some.) I can see how the definite step might be a turnoff to those who don't use a tripod grip. The grip section really is quite short, actually.

#8 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2013 - 17:47

Thanks, you can never be sure where it'll hit your hand.

#9 Vipersdad

Vipersdad

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:04

My Volcano with a bottle of PR Orange Crush is on the way.

V.
"Hey, Cameron. You realize if we played by the rules right now we'd be in gym?"

. . . . Ferris B.

#10 msmidwifery

msmidwifery

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 16:30

I have the bright green version of this pen with the stub italic. It's beautiful and the balance is lovely. Weighty enough to feel substantial. The step is very subtle and I do not notice it when I write. If I think about it, it lands on the pad of my thumb. I prefer pens whose sections have a bit of a "waist" such as this one. 

The original review does not address or show the clip on the cap, so I'll comment on that here. It's black, like the rest of the trim, and a sweeping smooth curve that slides easily over thin or thick fabric or hems. I usually keep it in the pocket of a bulky knit cartigan I wear most days. It attaches to this fabric easily, without catching or threatening to tear the loosely spun wool and mohair fibers. It has no seams in it.

But here's a slightly sad point: I've had it less than three months and the paint at the nib end of the section has bubbled up and is peeling. The section is actually white plastic under this. I've got a note in to the seller about this and maybe they'll replace my section. Monteverde's customer service has also been very accommodating when I've had issues with other pens of theirs over the years, though I haven't contacted them yet. 

Edited by msmidwifery, 10 April 2014 - 16:45.

#11 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:09

Have a Volcano version of this pen, also with a fine nib.

have several other Monteverde pens and have found them to be well made, dependable and supported by good customer service.

I would definitely buy more - actually considering a new Impressa from Goulet.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#12 Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon

Pen Quest

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2014 - 19:53

I've got two Monteverdes and both write dry.  I'm considering getting the Goulet nibs.  Anyone ever put a Goulet nib on an Intima or a Prima?

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

#13 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:24

Bought a sort of white bluey swirly version yesterday at The London Pen Show.

It may well be the coffee talking but it is easily one of the best writers I now own.

Smooth, solid, nail like nib. Nice medium to wet line. No hard starts and perfectly balanced for me.

Why did I only buy one ? !!  :wallbash:

#14 gwyneddd

gwyneddd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:26

My Volcano with a bottle of PR Orange Crush is on the way.

V.

I have the Volcano. What a great pen! I got one with a stub 1.1mm nib, and replaced the nib with one of the Goulet nibs. It's one of my favorite pens. I think I have it filled right now with Fuyu-Syogen but I'd love to get some dark orange ink. I have some Noodler's Apache Sunset, but I'm not so fond of pale amber inks. 

#15 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2014 - 23:12

Has anyone besides msmidwifery had the problem with the finish peeling or flaking off the section?  There's a number of reviews on Goulet's site that mention this problem.

#16 Drone

Drone

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:57

Has anyone besides msmidwifery had the problem with the finish peeling or flaking off the section?  There's a number of reviews on Goulet's site that mention this problem.

Hello Arkanabar;

(TL;DR... See pics below. Don't buy this pen until you're sure you are getting a pen that has had this paint flaking issue fixed.)

Yes, I am sorry to report I have experienced the "paint" flaking off the Monteverde Intima section where it meets the nib unit. Also I am unable to unscrew the nib unit from the section. My Intima in Volcano Grey was purchased in mid August 2014 from Goulet Pens.

Note: I have no hard data on how prevalent this paint flaking problem is. Only the manufacturer or possibly a Distributor might be able to shed light on that. There may be Intima owners that have never had a problem with their pens. But I have seen others post about same/similar paint flaking problems before.

Yafa/Monteverde after seeing pictures of the paint problem with my Intima (low-res copies below), acknowledged a quality issue with the finish.

An ideal solution to the problem would have been to send me a new section without defective paint. But no matter what I did, I could not get the nib unit to unscrew from the pen without damaging it. At that point Yafa just decided to send me a replacement pen.

Yafa sent the pen by trackable USPS. I live in S.E. Asia. The pen left Los Angeles on 7 October 2014. Today at post time three weeks later, there have been no further tracking updates. My experience when this happens is that the item has been lost or stolen in transit. But I must wait at least another week or two before raising an alarm. There is a (very) small chance the pen has been shipped by ocean freight instead of by air. In that case I may not see the replacement pen for another four to six weeks.

* My feelings so-far...

1. Yafa/Monteverde should have recalled these defective pens. Researching the paint flaking problem I can see posts by others experiencing same/similar issues for some time. One can only hope you will not get get an older-stock pen with this problem.

2. To be fair, even though I'm concerned that my replacement pen may be lost in transit, that is not Monteverde's fault. But I would have preferred if Yafa/Monteverde used FedEx or DHL not USPS.

3. Overall I have been very pleased with the thoughtful and courteous customer service experience I have had with both Clara at Yafa/Monteverde, and Caitlin at Goulet Pens - both have been very professional.

4. Although it would be far better to have never had a problem with the Intima in the first place, In the end it looks to me like Yafa/Monteverde will stand by their product.

* My recommendations regarding the Intima as of mid-late October 2014...

If you live in the U.S. where it will be faster and cheaper to deal with Yafa/Monteverde directly, and you really-really want this pen, then I say go for it. But buy it directly from Yafa/Monteverde and demand they send you a pen that has the paint problem fixed from the outset. Do not buy a pen from a Distributor unless the Distributor can guarantee they are not sending you an older-stock pen with the paint problem.

If you live outside the U.S. where it is painful to deal with Yafa/Monteverde due to shipping, customs, taxes, etc., I would hold off until you feel confident you will not get a defective pen. Again, if you must have this pen, deal directly with Yafa/Monteverde and demand they ship you a known good pen.

* Here are a couple of low-res pics of the paint flaking off my Intima:

Intima_Bad_Paint_01b_800x600.jpg

Intima_Bad_Paint_01a_800x600.jpg

#17 thomdavies2053

thomdavies2053

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:15

Bluemoon I put a Noodler flex on my Green Neon and am liking it. Mine did not like Monteverde cartridges so went to bottles. De Artementis was all right. Waterman Green may be a little better, have to rinse the nib and feed once. Nib seems to flex more on the neon than on the Ahab. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: monteverde, intima, monteverde intima

Sponsored Content

|