Seeking Pelikan Extra-Fine Writing Sample

cjh

Hi FPN, I have been lurking for quite a while but this is my first post on here.

I currently own a TWSBI 580 and a Lamy Safari, both in extra-fine, I have been considering purchasing either an Edison collier or a Pelikan m400 pen.

I like my nibs to draw quite thin lines having come from Uni-ball pens, and I do not have access to a local store that sells Pelikan pens,

I was wondering if someone could provide writing samples for a Pelikan extra-fine nib so I can try to assess the line-width.

Thank you for your time,

~Chris

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cjh

• smk

• pmhudepo

• DrCodfish

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also had some luck doing a google image search for things like "Pelikan M400 extra fine."

Chris

Have you tried the nib nook of the goulet pens company?

As far as I can tell the Goulet pen company doesn't sell Pelikan gold nibs, they do however have that information for the m205 which is a steel nib and I am not sure how closely the steel and gold nibs line up in terms of line widths.

I've also had some luck doing a google image search for things like "Pelikan M400 extra fine."

Before posting I tried googling as well as searching these forums, for me the first few pages of google image search shows me some writing samples for medium and fine nibs, I didn't spot any extra-fine. Although google image results can be personalized so it is possible you are seeing things I am not.

The only relevant image I can find is https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0i1jWMTkjeAaSrDDyk-J2uBYswWdAEBxADLKFt6Awhhq7XjoNIA

But that looks computer generated to me and I have seen other pictures of the Pelikan medium and fine nibs which look much larger than shown here.

Thank you both for your reply.

~Chris

Chris, my writing sample was written with my Pelikan M800 EF using Pelikan Edelstein Topaz ink on Clairefontaine french-ruled paper.

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/hughdrbf/image.jpg

Hope this helps with your decision ;-)

Hugh

Chris, my writing sample was written with my Pelikan M800 EF using Pelikan Edelstein Topaz ink on Clairefontaine french-ruled paper.

Hugh

That looks lovely, thanks !

Hi Chris--here is a link that gets circulated sometimes: I found it useful! http://www.pelikanpens.co.uk/acatalog/handw

riting_samples.html

I am rather surprised I wasn't able to find that, thank you for your time.

The fine is quite broad, but the extra-fine looks superb.

Thanks again :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my m400 in extra-fine and the nib width is amazing, it is nearly indistinguishable from my TWSBI 580 extra-fine which is my benchmark for extra-fine.

The m400 is different though in that it is wetter and smoother, it is a joy to write with.

Thank you all for helping me shape my purchase.

Edited by cjh

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/hughdrbf/image.jpg

Hugh

Nice Handwriting :thumbup:

The XF nib brings out the best in it.

Salman

Width of the line depends on first the paper and then the ink used. A dryer Pelikan 4001 ink will deliver a finer line.

Paper is more important than the ink, because it's the paper that lets the ink dance.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Width of the line depends on first the paper and then the ink used. A dryer Pelikan 4001 ink will deliver a finer line.

Paper is more important than the ink, because it's the paper that lets the ink dance.

After playing around a bit I can see this:

• on Rhodia 90 gsm clairefontaine paper the Pelikan extra-fine appears the same as the Lamy and TWSBI
  • on more absorbent paper the Pelikan line appears a smidgen wider

I think this comes down to the Pelikan having a wet ink (Waterman Florida Blue) as well as being a wet writer.

Either way I am very impressed with this pen, it is such a joy to hold and write with :)

Nice Handwriting :thumbup:

The XF nib brings out the best in it.

Salman

Salman, I've been following you and your penmanship development through the Penmanship forum for a very long time. Masterful easily comes to mind.

In large part credit to you in that forum, I have applied your guidance toward my own penmanship studies and practice. The result is my handwriting capability today that I am both proud of, and is flexible to serve well in personal and business writing situations. Working at this is a passion for me, and I feel that I've made good progress.

And, again, credit to the counsel you offer folks in that forum which I have taken to heart, I enjoy focusing on the subtle nuances that result in refinements in my hand each and every day.

Coming from you, your kind post is a truly huge compliment!

Thank you, very much appreciated.

Hugh

Hugh - I am glad my remarks have been useful to you. I remain a student of Penmanship and am far from being a master. I probably have made more mistakes than most so I might have learned a thing or two in the process :-)

Your handwriting is impressive and fully deserves the recognition.

Salman

After playing around a bit I can see this:

• on Rhodia 90 gsm clairefontaine paper the Pelikan extra-fine appears the same as the Lamy and TWSBI
  • on more absorbent paper the Pelikan line appears a smidgen wider

I think this comes down to the Pelikan having a wet ink (Waterman Florida Blue) as well as being a wet writer.

Either way I am very impressed with this pen, it is such a joy to hold and write with :)

Congratulations on the purchase. I have been interested in an XF on a 150 for some time and this thread has been useful to me - thanks for starting it.

Salman

• 6 months later...

Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I found this thread very useful and I had a follow-up question. I am considering purchasing an M400 as my first $100+ FP but I'm torn between the XF and the F. It's my understanding that the Pelikan F gold nibs are broader by comparison than other F nibs. My actual question is regarding the toothiness of the XF on cheap paper. I primarily edit and take notes in the margins of briefs and memos printed on cheap paper, and I'm concerned about the feel of the XF nib on the paper. Unfortunately, changing the paper or my career are currently out of the question.

Does anyone in this thread have experience with the XF nib on inexpensive paper? I would just go with the F, but I'm concerned about bleed-through. Also, the finer nib allows me to write smaller and fit more in the margins. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

McK

I have an old Pelikan 120 (M&k from the 1970'S) with a gold plated (washed?) steel EF nib. It is smooth on most papers. It's a little toothy on really rough, cheap paper, but on typical copy paper it does fine. The fact that it is 40+ years old may disqualifty this sample. Not trying to sway your diecision but I see these pens for sale on EBay for under $100 all the time (or consider Rick Propas). Given even modest care these things last.

Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I found this thread very useful and I had a follow-up question. I am considering purchasing an M400 as my first $100+ FP but I'm torn between the XF and the F. It's my understanding that the Pelikan F gold nibs are broader by comparison than other F nibs. My actual question is regarding the toothiness of the XF on cheap paper. I primarily edit and take notes in the margins of briefs and memos printed on cheap paper, and I'm concerned about the feel of the XF nib on the paper. Unfortunately, changing the paper or my career are currently out of the question.

Does anyone in this thread have experience with the XF nib on inexpensive paper? I would just go with the F, but I'm concerned about bleed-through. Also, the finer nib allows me to write smaller and fit more in the margins. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

McK

Go with the extra fine.I have numerous extra fine pelikan nibs and all of mine are very smooth. I honestlythink my efs are another than some fines and mediums. They perform well in most paper. . But I mostly use Rhodia.

I have EF nibs on my M600 and M800 series pens. As Pelikan's EF is not that "extra fine" if you are accustomed to Pilot, Sailor or Platinum nibs, it is rather forgiving on most of the papers regardless of the paper quality (the lowest being the regular copy paper).

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Here are a few writing samples from my pens:

fpn_1392799830__fusion-m800-falcon-246-s

I think the Pelikan M800 EF puts down quite a wide line, but is very comfortable to use. The nib is rather stiff, glides across the paper and is certainly not scratchy or even toothy. A pleasure to write with, even if it may lack a bit of personality.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development