Aurora Optima - A Review

watch_art

gallery_41188_22_47563.jpg

gallery_41188_22_91907.jpg

gallery_41188_22_163686.jpg

gallery_41188_22_173103.jpg

gallery_41188_22_127845.jpg

Here you can see the pen, laying in its natural habitat - in a light box next to a rock. Shhh... I think it's sleeping.

gallery_41188_22_66809.jpg

Here it is sunning itself. It's got to be ready for that Summer beach party!

gallery_41188_22_12075.jpg

And you can see here how backwards it really is. You can't read the imprint when writing with it. Hmmm...

gallery_41188_22_74433.jpg

Hanging out.

gallery_41188_22_47739.jpg

And here you can see a bit of ink in it. Pelikan Brilliant Black! Not very brilliant though is it... or very black. Sort of purplish...

gallery_41188_22_42965.jpg

And that nib! Just stunning! Sort of a dark yellowy brown. Very very nice writer.

gallery_41188_22_9233.jpg

A view of its backside.

gallery_41188_22_22764.jpg

The front.

gallery_41188_22_39541.jpg

Hope you enjoyed. :)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• hari317

• habib

• Brian C

I can't go along with the "forget Montblancs" statement but it is great to see another review from you. It's been a while.

I can't go along with the "forget Montblancs" statement but it is great to see another review from you. It's been a while.

Hehehehe. :)

I thought you'd notice that.

Seriously - the 149 and 146 that I owned weren't that great - especially compared to the few that you've sent me to look at and play with. I must have got lemons. But this is really one of the best pens I've ever held and used.

And CONGRATS on your new 149 find! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised at how short the pen is. Comparable to the Sailor Realo pro gear. The Aurora nib is nicely larger and the ink capacity greater, however.

I tried several optimas but the stiffness and toothiness of Aurora nibs drove me away from buying a pen from the brand.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Charming, enthusiastic, review, I was struck by the simple beauty of this Optima, reminded me there are reasons black and gold is considered "classic".

Hard to find fault with the design of the Optima, the shape of the section, perfect piston filler, ink window, usually flawless operation, make this a contender for "The Perfect Pen".

Mine is the Optima (Red) Demonstrator, although I wish the pen was a little larger, it's size makes it an excellent traveling companion with huge ink capacity.

Thank you for sharing the illustrations, the review was a pleasure.

I picked up a cracked ice Optima as an impulse buy at Art Brown. Mine is an italic and requires a very wet slick ink to work correctly. The sweet spot is critical but when found the pen glides on good paper (rhodia). The pen is too short to use unposted in my hands. The shortness insures secure ride in my shallowest shirt pocket. The pen probably the lightest full size pen I use regularly. The weight contrasts quite noticeably with my M800 daily workhorse. I associate weight will solidness and durability but with that being said I find the light pen entertaining and fast, almost like a scalpel. Ink supply is good but not as generous as the Pelikan. All in all a really nice pen. I'd like another one in a smaller cursive italic for note taking. Good to hear that you are enjoying yours as well.

Thanks for the interesting review! Glad you love it!

I too think the Optima may just be the Perfect Pen. Its weight, balance, and length are ideal for my hands, which are neither petite nor gargantuan. Toothy nibs? Nah, mine are smooth as buttah. And I believe they were designed to be posted, and, as noted above, they're fast and nimble. Mine is a searing red sports car. The black & gold on yours is classic -- posh in an understated way. Enjoy!

-- MJ