Newton Pen's "taffy"

Chi Town

post-11647-0-12957900-1373236149_thumb.jpgHi, this is my 1st Review in quite sometime of a Fountain Pen! The focus of this review will be about the nib, but I will cover all aspects as per the Review Format!

INTRODUCTION;

The first thing that drew me to this pen were the color scheme's! I just fell in love with them and the name "Taffy" is just so aprapro, for lack of a better word. I suffer from a brain injury from an accident back in 2004 so at times I struggle with words and I apologize for this here! But the word " Taffy and the colors just seem to go together so well!, now onto to the body of the review;

APPEARANCE & DESIGN (1-10) 8 -

The design is one of 1/2 marble and 1/2 plastic and this is where I think it loses some appeal! But it really gains it with the marble look! But to be able to see the nib thru the cap is a downer...But once again the marble look the is on top of the cap and makes up the barrel just blows me away!post-11647-0-25739300-1373236195_thumb.jpg

CONSTRUCTION & QUALITY (1-10) 10 -

This feels like a solid pen! However, like any Fountain pen that I own, I would not want to drop it onto a firm surface.....There are NO flaws or seams and it does not feel flimsey or rugged.

WEIGHT & DIMENSIONS ( 1-10) 10 -

This is a rather small pen, measuring in at 4.4" Long Capped x 6.0" Long Posted! The cap measures in diameter - .65" and the barrel measures in diameter .64". The barrel and cap are threaded so that you can post them comfortably! This is a key factor with this pen!!

NIB & PERFORMANCE ( 1-10) 10 -

I choose a Bold nib and Shawn gave it a Left Hand Oblique cut! I should mention that this was Shawn's 1st attempt at a Left Hand Oblique cut! 1st I must say that this style nib is what I naturally need for my Writing style, ( I am right handed) as for some reason I roll my pens back ward when I write....So this cut is a natural for me! NOW for the quality or lack of it when Shawn did his cut! I can say with out a doubt that Shawn did an outstanding job on his first cut! The only issue I found was that it needed to be a "tad" smoother, something that I can take care of myself....But by and large I would not hesitate to buy another Left Hand Oblique cut from Shawn on my nibs. Shawn asked me to do this review on this nib and to be honest about it! It hurts me to say that it needed to be a "tad" smoother when dealing with a friend, but Shawn drilled it into me to be honest about this review on the nib! So I hope that I was! In fact, the more that I write with this pen, the more that I fall in love with the nib.....( I just love Left hand obliques)post-11647-0-89686800-1373236329_thumb.jpg

FILLING SYSTEM & MAINTENANCE (1-10) 10

This is an Eye Dropper Filling System! I, right now am using a mini converter....At some point when I pick out the color that I like, I suspect I will take out the mini converter and fill it up using it as a Eye Dropper....

COST & VALUE ( 1-10 ) 10-

I bought the pen from NewtonPens.com and the MSRP was 160.00.

CONCLUSION (FINAL SCORE, 58/60

This pen has met my overall expectations! I can easily see this pen becoming one of my daily "go to" pens, just as my "Alien Snot" pen has! The "AS" Fountain Pen is a pen that is of the same size as the Taffy pen! I would definitely buy this pen again, or as a gift and I would recommend it to anyone in the future! As well I would recommend to anyone that they give Shawn's Left Hand Oblique Cut a try!post-11647-0-71400700-1373236266_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• Chi Town

• ethernautrix

• amberleadavis

Nice Review of an interesting pen! It reminds me of the pens of yesteryear, I can see myself drinking single malt whiskey while writing with it.

I wonder how left-hand obliques work for left-handed writers? Seems like it would be a perfect fit :)

@arts_nibs

Nice!

After seeing this pen, I had to order one for myself. Shawn said he will make mine a bit slimmer.

Excited!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Woo hoo! The pen is beautiful and I can't wait to see the skinner one too. @Ether Are you going to get rid of an F? Maybe Tafy instead of Taffy?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Woo hoo! The pen is beautiful and I can't wait to see the skinner one too. @Ether Are you going to get rid of an F? Maybe Tafy instead of Taffy?

No. Maybe I'll get rid of a syllable and call mine Taff.

:-)

I want to call it Flan, but I'm already calling a Nakaya color scheme Flan. I will need to enlarge my food-based vocabulary. Maybe I can call this Panna cotta with butterscotch caramel. (Too many syllables?)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Honey Butter?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks for the review! I'm so glad you're getting on with the nib okay. I'll be sure to get my next one smoother. :)

Darn, I'm sorry About that Shawn!

Dude, your just the Best! Ican't wait to order my next pen from you.......OR the next 15 Club Pens, ha, ha