Horrible Experience With Engeika Shop

rochester21

Here it goes: Almost a month ago someone asked me to order for him a Namiki Falcon, and i decided to buy the pen from Taizo from Engeika Shop. I paid the money, and then waited. And then waited a little longer. I waited about 3 weeks for the pen to be shipped. Finally, last friday the pen was shipped and today i picked it up from the post office. And now, to the really bad part:

I order A Namiki Falcon and i received a Pilot Falcon in a SAILOR box. Naturally, the person for whom i ordered the pen asked me why the on the pen is says Pilot instead of Namiki and why the pen came in a Sailor box.

Now, what can i do? It`s going to cost me about 25 dollars to send the pen back, and i don`t want to wait another month and lose money just because Taizo isn`t capable of sending the proper pen. I am going to ask for a partial refund.

Now, what i want to ask you guys is whether the Pilot falcon nib is identical or not(as flexible) as the namiki falcon which i originally ordered.

I just can`t tell you how disappointed i am, especially since i have bought a pen from Taizo before, and i have never seen such disrespect for the returning customer :(

Edited by rochester21

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• ukobke

• proton007

• Pen2009

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No matter how flexible the nibs are by comparsion, you will never get happy with this pen if you are so disappointed right now.

However, errors can happen. I would ask the seller for a return (on his account). Full refund is the way to go in my opinion.

Edited by Tuxedomoon

"Du bist die Aufgabe" - Franz Kafka

I am pretty sure the pen (The Elabo) was never sold under the Namiki brand with the Falcon name in Japan.

The Namiki Falcon is a US market branding and pen.

HTH.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Even though there are many FPNers who are pleased with engeika, please watch out for the following issues:

1. he will tell you he has farmed out his shipping functions to a 3rd party logistics provider, Japan Post. As such, he says he cannot control which "grade" of stock they ship. You will hear what I mean by "grade" below.

2. he (or his shipping agent Japan Post) may ship an "opened" item to you as new. When he is being pointed out on that front, he will tell you his 3rd party logistics provider is receiving and picking and he cannot directly control what his contractor does. When you receive a "new" pen (if a new is typically shipped in a sealed package by the manufacturer) without being sealed (in a plastic bag), that is an open item product. This can be a return from a department store in Japan. He will advise you that Japanese pen makers are releasing the "returned" pens from department stores which have been shut down due to poor retail economy in Japan. Therefore, he will advise you he will not be able to control what Japan Post ships as it is just shipping what it receives from the "manufacturers."

Some of his auctioned pens are sold at a low price. So, that's a compromise you need to face when bidding in an auction. Some pens don't go low in the bidding; in that case, it might be better to buy a pen from a traditional web retailer who sells the "real" new pens.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Really Taizo said that? It sounds 100% BS on his part. Japan Post is the name of the national postal service of Japan(a very nice and efficient organisation IME). How do they control the type of merchandise the seller sends?. It like holding the postman responsible if you receive hate mail.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Really Taizo said that? It sounds 100% BS on his part. Japan Post is the name of the national postal service of Japan(a very nice and efficient organisation IME). How do they control the type of merchandise the seller sends?. It like holding the postman responsible if you receive hate mail.

Sadly, I heard that phrase a few times over the course of the dealings from him. I have the full record of his ebay and email replies. I believe the moderator will edit my post if I post the screen shot. So, I won't. I am a perfectionist and I check how the new pens are shipped from the manufacturers. To anyone who purchased pens from him, I suggest you check if you have really received new pens. Chances are you might have received the "open box" pens, even if you thought you have ordered brand new pens.

I myself is a supply chain professional. So, it is hard to believe you cannot control the company you have hired to do your logistics functions. When I was managing a 3PL in the past, I was breathing down on their neck to make sure they follow my instructions in full.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Sadly, I heard that phrase a few times over the course of the dealings from him. I have the full record of his ebay and email replies.

I myself is a supply chain professional. So, it is hard to believe you cannot control the company you have hired to do your logistics functions. When I was managing a 3PL in the past, I was breathing down on their neck to make sure they follow my instructions in full.

I have had a few "fights" with Taizo regarding his habit to remove tags from some pens. His reason was that he does that en-masse to his stock, so that his parcels will pass export controls since he typically undervalues his packages on the CN23 form.

Nowadays at checkout I explicitly ask him NOT to remove any tags. still the compliance is only 50:50, I have stopped discussing this with him, no use... I have thoroughly inspected the pens and could find no evidence of them being used but still I think the real reason behind missing tags may be that he is sourcing either seconds or opened returns but still unused as you have suggested.

I think Japan post has no role to play as they are only a postal carrier. They are being unfairly and funnily blamed by the seller.

Regards,

Hari

I have had a few "fights" with Taizo regarding his habit to remove tags from some pens. His reason was that he does that en-masse to his stock, so that his parcels will pass export controls since he typically undervalues his packages on the CN23 form.

Nowadays at checkout I explicitly ask him NOT to remove any tags. still the compliance is only 50:50, I have stopped discussing this with him, no use... I have thoroughly inspected the pens and could find no evidence of them being used but still I think the real reason behind missing tags may be that he is sourcing either seconds or opened returns but still unused as you have suggested.

I think Japan post has no role to play as they are only a postal carrier. They are being unfairly and funnily blamed by the seller.

Regards,

Hari

Hi, Hari. Removing a tag from the pen is a bona fide sign he is shipping the pens which were returned from other retailers, in business or in bankruptcy. I have to admit some of the pens are shipped with sealed bags. So, it is a hit or miss with him.

When you are unhappy with how he treated you, you can post a negative rating on eBay. I assure you that will trigger his immediate attention to make things right. However, please note getting a brand new pen in sealed package is still a hit or miss with him, even after that 2nd chance given to him. It seems the sellers are rewarded for high satisfaction rating. So, a negative rating will hit the seller's bottom line with reduced income. At least, that was what he said, when I dumped negative ratings on him on the ground he shipped the "open box" pens to me even after I specifically asked him not to do so before the payment.

I am surprised with the rating he gets in eBay. I think many buyers are unaware they are getting open box pens as new from him.

When I want to buy a wooden pen, I don't even consider engeika. I just don't want a "new" wooden pen which were held and played by many shoppers.

Buyers be beware: there is always a reason for the low price (but, I noticed many eBayers are bidding too high on his pens, beyond the normal discounted e-retail pricing in Japan).

Edited by Pen2009

Thank you Hari for your assistance. I can help you solve your own dilemma related to the tags by saying that Taizo doesn`t handle the pens himself, he just tells the guys at the warehouse what to ship and where- this is what he told me himself. But still, it`s unacceptable to send a pilot in a sailor box. etc.

Edited by rochester21

Ha, perfect time for me to place my first order with him...feeling like a chump.

Robert.

Thank you Hari for your assistance. I can help you solve your own dilemma related to the tags by saying that Taizo doesn`t handle the pens himself, he just tells the guys at the warehouse what to ship and where- this is what he told me himself. But still, it`s unacceptable to send a pilot in a sailor box. etc.

This is a poor excuse from a seller, in my opinion. Owning up to the problems is a part of being a proprietor of the business.

Anyway, if I happen to win an auction with engeika, I will always stipulate a condition he sends me a "real" new pen, as he advertised as such (please see his descriptions of the pens on the auction) If he waivers or does not guarantee he is sending me a new pen as he advertised, I will just forget about the bid win and forfeit the ebay win.

Edited by Pen2009

I would be beside myself if this happened to me.

This is the last straw as far as I'm concerned. I will never order from this seller regardless of price.

Forwarned is forearmed.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

I have to admit some of the pens are shipped with sealed bags. So, it is a hit or miss with him.

Same here, received fully sealed pens several times and randomly some opened seal pens.

I never had any bad experience with Taizo so far. I'm buying pens from him for last four years. I'm not affiliated with him though; just a happy customer.

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

I've ordered probably 50 pens from Taizo over the past three years or so. Most of the time, the pens arrived in perfect shape and un-inked. The more expensive pens (Pilot Togidashi Maki-e, Custom 845, Stone Urushi) arrived completely mint including sealed bags, tags, etc. However, most of the other pens were missing the tags. These pens were still un-inked. I've had a couple situations where he was extremely slow to ship, claiming he had to order the pen--but it always arrived eventually.

I would complain, but the prices of Taizo's pens at auction--at least the pens I have one--have been incredibly low. Several of the pens, such as the pair of Togidashi Maki-e pens, would not even be affordable had I not won them on his auction site.

Pilot + Namibia one + the same. P for domestic market, and N USA. Thus a Pilot or Namki Falcon the same pen so you can reassure your friend.

Re all the other stuff, open box, tagless , wrong boxes, these things happen when you you get too big and do not have hands on control +supervision of the business. I've not bought from him but people that have generally satisfied. Plus his lowest fleabay prices

Edited by DovR

The way I see it, if I want discounted prices, then I am prepared to deal with opened pens or pens which may have been tried out before.

As long as the pen itself is in new condition, and works properly, I dont really care if someone else has held it before - just as when I buy a car, I dont care if someone else has test-driven it a few times.

Of course, I realize that others might feel differently - but if so, perhaps they should consider paying full retail from nibs.com or a similar place. Each to their own.

I've gotten a *lot* of pens from them - including a King of Pen, a Creatures of the Deep L/E, an Izumo, a Tagyasan, a Yosegi-Hakone and quite a few more. Have a Pilot Sterling and a Sailor Sustake on order from them.

The amount I've saved in all these transactions would let me get a new Montblanc Writers Edition. That makes it more than worth it to me. YMMV.

Edited by de_pen_dent

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I've purchased four pens from the vendor. Three transactions were problem-free and the products were new with boxing, stickers and materials one would expect. The first even included a small "free gift."

The last order was over a year ago for a used pen. There was controversy on that one. The picture showed a pristine, NOS pen. The actual pen, when it arrived, had very visible scratches on one side that were deep enough to be felt running one's finger over the damage. I don't expect perfection in a used pen, however, I expect to be told if a pen has flaws. The photos in the ad were of all angles except the side damaged. The text said something like, "Normal micro scratches." I complained. He offered a 10% refund. We agreed on 15%. I ended up paying a fair price for the type and condition of that particular pen. I didn't get the remarkably good deal I thought I'd gotten at the time the bid ended.

As another poster noted, when there's something you don't like about a pen, you remember it every time you use that pen. It detracts from the enjoyment. So, I later sold the pen (with full disclosure & close ups of the scratches) and purchased another.

d-p-dent, It is a problem when such tradeoffs are not explicitly brought out by the seller in their listings. When an item is new, it has to be new as per the widely accepted definition of new, they cannot palm off a used one just because one happened to win it for a penny.

You mention for example nibs.com etc, how can any pen from there or any nibmeister be still sealed in its plastic sleeve? It is after all removed, inked and tuned? also these vendors routinely offer nib swaps etc, I think the chances of getting a handled pen is more from these sources. YMMV.

I must have bought several several pens from Taizo. Not in a single instance have I got a used or even a dipped pen, to his credit. My main issue was the removal of tags sometimes. I believed in his explanation which I have written above. when you sell a lot of pens, you save time by pre packing or preparing it apriori, which might involve removing the tags which contain price info since many customers routinely request under declared customs forms etc... I also find pen2009's suspicion possible but it is a task in itself to find so many shop returnsetc considering the daily sales volume of Taizo.

Edited by hari317