The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Yet Another Mont Blanc 149 Review

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 declanh

declanh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:52

Well, I'm sure there are plenty of Mont Blanc 149 reviews already, but here's another just in case not.

I got a new 149 today, Medium Nib. I already have a 146  and 4 Pelikans + random collection of other stuff. The closest pen I already had (in size) was the Laban Mento. The Mento is very similar in size if not slightly larger (but it feels lighter - dunno if it really is or not). Presentation and packaging are awesome, huge box with a bottle of Mystery Black included.

The pen looks and feels real quality, the finish is superb. It writes very smoothly (although perhaps my Pelikan M600 is a little smoother) and the flow is slighly on the wet side although I would prefer that to being slighltly too dry.

How much writing I get from a single fill will take some time to judge, i flit between pens and typically take notes rather than write pages at a time.

I was planning to buy a new bottle of Lavender Purple to use as first ink, but I see that's been withdrawn - I await its replacement.

AeffKud.jpg

cpANs3V.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 archie001

archie001

-architecture & planning is my art-

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 22:24

wonderful pen, thanks for the review and nice photos. congratulations!

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use
MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)
MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)
Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)
Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)
Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)
Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)
S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)
S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

#3 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2013 - 22:57

Can never have too many 149 reviews IMO.  Nice pics and thanks for the review!

#4 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2013 - 13:23

thanks and i see you got the same waterman expert than me wich is very nice so...well i don't know

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#5 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2013 - 19:29

Noticed some micro scratches on the top of the cap, or is it just the lighting?

As you said you got it today/ yesterday as I write this, I am curious.

Full disclosure: I am a bit of an MB curmudgeon. I am not saying that the make a poor product these days, I do think one pays a premium doe the white star.

BTW, congratulations on the pen, and enjoy it.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#6 declanh

declanh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 20:39

Noticed some micro scratches on the top of the cap, or is it just the lighting?

Suspect its just the lighting/dust. The packaged was lined in a beige velvet which i think shed some small fibres.  Anyway, I can't see them now with naked eye, and I'm not going to check with a loupe :-)

#7 olivier78860

olivier78860

Dura Flex, Sed Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:08

The price of the 149 has increased again in France, it's now sold for 710€.
Even if it has a great nib, in my opinion, it is far too expensive now.

Posted Image

#8 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2013 - 16:22

The price of the 149 has increased again in France, it's now sold for 710€.
Even if it has a great nib, in my opinion, it is far too expensive now.

Indeed, it is far too expensive. It is better to buy a vintage one for half of the price or get something more interesting in second hand for far less than 710€ 

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#9 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:40

yeah i'm getting a 149 of 2000 something like that for 420€ in perfect conditions,no scratches nor anything. I wont pay 710€ for one now with my student budget. And i have to buy something else at the same time(my first parker 51 and a parker 17 ans the pencil matching the 51 all for 250€) so this is a good deal as it come from my local dealer and i have been able to test the pen

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#10 alicest

alicest

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 19:51

Thanks for this review! I have to say, these photographs are some of the nicest I've seen! 

#11 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 20:31

Great review!!!

[And wherever MB is praised there will be one or two to try and detract MB's excellence....  ]

#12 bone215

bone215

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:55

That is a very nice looking nib. Nice pen, please enjoy it.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

#13 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:18

~ Wow! The nib and cap image above is terrific!

As soon as I saw it on my computer screen I smiled.

That's a particularly effective way to present a 149.

Tom K.

#14 Granddad75

Granddad75

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:43

Beautiful! I have been going back and forth over whether to sell my grandfathers 149 from either the late 50s or early 60s....18C Tri-tone nib (likely a B) would place it in the 50s from chart?...it has a 1 piece barrel and press fill? I have no idea where to sell this to make sure it goes to someone who will appreciate it & not just resell. I am terrible with photos, but this one is in original box with instructions. Any ideas?

#15 Granddad75

Granddad75

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:52

Beautiful! I have been going back and forth over whether to sell my grandfathers 149 from either the late 50s or early 60s....18C Tri-tone nib (likely a B) would place it in the 50s from chart?...it has a 1 piece barrel and press fill? I have no idea where to sell this to make sure it goes to someone who will appreciate it & not just resell. I am terrible with photos, but this one is in original box with instructions. Any ideas?

#16 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,982 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:59

If you want it to go to a user, you have a better chance of that happening on a forum like this (or similar), as you can interact with people. You might get more money on eBay with good photos, but you may have no interactions with a bidder.

18C is likely 1960s, but could be earlier. What does the feed look like? You can compare it to the chart on dating 149s that has photos.

Edited by zaddick, 18 July 2018 - 06:00.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Sponsored Content

|