Yet Another Mont Blanc 149 Review

declanh

Well, I'm sure there are plenty of Mont Blanc 149 reviews already, but here's another just in case not.

I got a new 149 today, Medium Nib. I already have a 146 and 4 Pelikans + random collection of other stuff. The closest pen I already had (in size) was the Laban Mento. The Mento is very similar in size if not slightly larger (but it feels lighter - dunno if it really is or not). Presentation and packaging are awesome, huge box with a bottle of Mystery Black included.

The pen looks and feels real quality, the finish is superb. It writes very smoothly (although perhaps my Pelikan M600 is a little smoother) and the flow is slighly on the wet side although I would prefer that to being slighltly too dry.

How much writing I get from a single fill will take some time to judge, i flit between pens and typically take notes rather than write pages at a time.

I was planning to buy a new bottle of Lavender Purple to use as first ink, but I see that's been withdrawn - I await its replacement.

http://i.imgur.com/AeffKud.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cpANs3V.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• declanh

• Montblanc owner and lover

• Granddad75

• zaddick

wonderful pen, thanks for the review and nice photos. congratulations!

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

thanks and i see you got the same waterman expert than me wich is very nice so...well i don't know

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Noticed some micro scratches on the top of the cap, or is it just the lighting?

As you said you got it today/ yesterday as I write this, I am curious.

Full disclosure: I am a bit of an MB curmudgeon. I am not saying that the make a poor product these days, I do think one pays a premium doe the white star.

BTW, congratulations on the pen, and enjoy it.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Noticed some micro scratches on the top of the cap, or is it just the lighting?

Suspect its just the lighting/dust. The packaged was lined in a beige velvet which i think shed some small fibres. Anyway, I can't see them now with naked eye, and I'm not going to check with a loupe :-)

The price of the 149 has increased again in France, it's now sold for 710€.

Even if it has a great nib, in my opinion, it is far too expensive now.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

The price of the 149 has increased again in France, it's now sold for 710€.

Even if it has a great nib, in my opinion, it is far too expensive now.

Indeed, it is far too expensive. It is better to buy a vintage one for half of the price or get something more interesting in second hand for far less than 710€

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

yeah i'm getting a 149 of 2000 something like that for 420€ in perfect conditions,no scratches nor anything. I wont pay 710€ for one now with my student budget. And i have to buy something else at the same time(my first parker 51 and a parker 17 ans the pencil matching the 51 all for 250€) so this is a good deal as it come from my local dealer and i have been able to test the pen

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Great review!!!

[And wherever MB is praised there will be one or two to try and detract MB's excellence.... ]

• 2 weeks later...

That is a very nice looking nib. Nice pen, please enjoy it.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

• 4 years later...

~ Wow! The nib and cap image above is terrific!

As soon as I saw it on my computer screen I smiled.

That's a particularly effective way to present a 149.

Tom K.

Beautiful! I have been going back and forth over whether to sell my grandfathers 149 from either the late 50s or early 60s....18C Tri-tone nib (likely a B) would place it in the 50s from chart?...it has a 1 piece barrel and press fill? I have no idea where to sell this to make sure it goes to someone who will appreciate it & not just resell. I am terrible with photos, but this one is in original box with instructions. Any ideas?

Beautiful! I have been going back and forth over whether to sell my grandfathers 149 from either the late 50s or early 60s....18C Tri-tone nib (likely a B) would place it in the 50s from chart?...it has a 1 piece barrel and press fill? I have no idea where to sell this to make sure it goes to someone who will appreciate it & not just resell. I am terrible with photos, but this one is in original box with instructions. Any ideas?

If you want it to go to a user, you have a better chance of that happening on a forum like this (or similar), as you can interact with people. You might get more money on eBay with good photos, but you may have no interactions with a bidder.

18C is likely 1960s, but could be earlier. What does the feed look like? You can compare it to the chart on dating 149s that has photos.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!