flyingfox

Coffee, tea, or ink?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 00:41

<snip>

My second was, "What does this pen do that the Pilot Metropolitan doesn't already do for less money?"  Did anyone else have this reaction?

I think your statement is valid toward many fountain pens out there, not just this particular one.  Pilot Metropolitan is such a great writer, I LOVE mine!  Of course I have a whole bunch of other pens that have different nibs, nice design and all, but Visionnaire doesn't have any other nib options either.  Interestingly enough, mine is a silver with no design on the barrel, so- it really is the closest one to this Visionnaire's pen in terms of the design. 

I am just surprised that this pen got so much support...  It is actually not a bad thing, if it turns out to be an introduction to the people who have never had a chance to use a fountain pen before. 

Of course- it'd be a tragedy, if this one turns out to be the kind of pen that would turn users off from fountain pens...  I mean- my first "real" pen was a Safari, a great writer that is totally low maintenance. 

I have encountered my share of "lemons" since (super-scratchy, ink drips a lot faster than I can write, super-dry, and so on,) but I had a point of reference by then, enough to know that, at least, not all fountain pens are like that.  So- for the sake of future newbies, I hope this Visionnaire pen turns out to be reasonably good quality.

#32 edelgul

edelgul

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 15:41

My second was, "What does this pen do that the Pilot Metropolitan doesn't already do for less money?"  Did anyone else have this reaction?

Well, perhaps "German Iridium nib" - i heard about nibs out of silver or gold, but this is exclusive!  The nib is of cource handcrafted (and, i assume, handbend).

Or maybe copper body to go well with your Iridium nib.

You maybe would be drawn by the excessive durability of the pen. It is so durable, that one can carry it in the jeans pocket. Perhaps there is a special durable copper, that defies the Mohl table.

Another unique aspect of this pen, is that it is compatible with any ink color. The cartridge/converter system is so unique, that it could use all cartridges by most popular brands (so it will not only work with International long and short cartiridges , but would also support Lamy or Parker).

The designer of this pen spent bloody 6 months with another designer finalizing the design of those two pens. In those 6 months he perhaps discovered too many things about fountain pens, most users of this forum never heard about. So  you'll get a perfect pen with absolutley unique and exclusive design for 37 USD, together with the opportunity to say, that it wholesales at 45 USD (so perhaps Parker Sonnet level). You don't want to look like a cheapo with 15 USD retail price  Pilot Metropolitan, do you?

If wholesale price doesn’t sound impressive enough, everybody around the project starter, who had the opportunity to test the pen were ready to pay 80-120 USD for it (a psychologically impressive HUNDRED BUCKS of average). See - great resale value. Just buy a hundred, and hang out with the project creator - every resale will triple the money spend.

Even if that wasn't enough, the pen is produced in China by the same factory, that produces Mont Blanc (i don't think it is related to Montblanc) and Parker  pens for over 20 (25 to be more specific) years. So the fit and finish as well as the materials, and the "savoir-faire" are excellent. Nevertheless, that designer will personally do Quality Controll of every pen before shipping it to the backer (currently over 6,000 pens are to be checked, and projected figure exceeds 15,000 pens, the will be personally QC'ed by the designer/project starter).

Also the pen is very nice to hold, weights 34 grams, and if you tap it on the table or tap your nail on it it make nice solid sound, thus it doesn’t feel like cheap plastic tube giving you an aura of exclusivity +3. In other words it is a very nice pen that will be noticed if you are taking notes in a coffee shop or  signing documents.

Most importantly, the surface of the pen is nice and smooth and when you close the cap it makes a nice "click".

And if all of the above wasn't convincing enough, the pen is so eco-friendly, it will conserve your ink so well, that one Quink bottle will last for 10 years.

So why are you still reading this post at FPN, and not yet backing the project or increasing your pledge?

If you don't care about yourself, think about your unborn kids - this pen is specifically designed to sign their birth certificates. You don't want to have you child's birth certificate to be signed with "Johnny's Bait and Tackle" pen, do you? Think of your kid, when he will become of age, he will definitly ask you about the pen have you used to sign his certificate Do you know, what to answer? To you want to looks as a disgracefull and incompetent father from the Day 1?
Well, if you already have a kid (How unthoughtfull of you - you shoud have waited till you pen arrived)  - get that pen in advance, and give it to the kid as a wedding gift, so that he won't follow your mistakes.

Btw, if you for some strange reason think that i’m sarcastic read the description of the project, and Project Starter’s comments to it.

P.S.  Since this community loves pen so much, while Visionnaire (for reasons above) is such a bestseller, that New York times will devote two pages about in their next issue, many FPN were not able to grab their one-five-ten-hunderd pens at the Early Bird prices. But i’ll reveal a secret for you:
If you want the black (Noir) model, and missed the Early Bird at KS (Early Birds for Noir are closed for quite a while) don't back the 45 USD version, just head to the Project website, where you can order Noir pens at the Early bird price.

Edited by edelgul, 22 July 2013 - 17:14.

#33 Namru

Namru

Wet Cake

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 19:57

Just... No. What the hell is so special about it?

It really does look fantastically dull. Seriously, I bought a WH Smith pen for £3 that looks more interesting.

Also, Parker shown with a retail of $240, that I bought for $10. Slick.

Edited by Namru, 22 July 2013 - 20:01.

#34 bigd

bigd

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 20:36

I don't understand why its so bad to carry a pen in your pocket? How is one supposed to transport a pen?

#35 bigd

bigd

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 20:38

I don't understand why its so bad to carry a pen in your pocket? How is one supposed to transport a pen?

#36 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,419 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 22:43

Oh, I won't stop you. But please do not sit on my chairs....

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#37 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2013 - 22:46

Haha, at least the video was cool... the sketches.

#38 Opooh

Opooh

Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me, il nome mio nessum saprà!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2013 - 00:01

It's a pen , yeah like there are 12 in a dozen. Much ado about nothing.

#39 edelgul

edelgul

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:18

That is the reason, why bags and backpacks were invented. You can also have an inside  pocket in you jacket for that.

but to remain on the topic with this pen.

This is a copper made pen. Copper is not steel or titanium.  It is not even bronze - it's a soft metal, that could lose its original form once hads enough pressude is applied.

#40 bigd

bigd

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:59

Thanks for clarification! I didn't realize they could leak.

#41 mikehodgman

mikehodgman

Mike

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 16:31

I wanted to like this pen, but this guy is a hack.  You can tell after about 5 minutes of reading his KickStarter page that this guy doesn't know a thing about pens.  Ah well, maybe Karas Kustoms will make a fountain pen some day.

#42 XiaoMG

XiaoMG

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,338 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 18:30

I kind of like it...nice and simple without being chunky.  Don't like the way it's adverised but the basic boring design is refreshing.

I think I'm going to start carrying an FP in my pants pocket now that I know it's taboo.

Robert.

#43 coyotewhisper

coyotewhisper

What do you mean you don't have an Esterbrook!

• Member - Gold

• 885 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 18:53

Like many have said he knows very little about the fp culture. Do we need another generic looking pen?   

God is my Strength.
Brad Posted ImagePosted Image

#44 bigd

bigd

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 19:15

I kind of like it...nice and simple without being chunky.  Don't like the way it's adverised but the basic boring design is refreshing.

I think I'm going to start carrying an FP in my pants pocket now that I know it's taboo.

I carry my safari in my pocket everyday.. i might get burned but until then..

#45 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,419 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 20:00

It's not taboo, just remove the pen when you're sitting in my chairs, or be prepared to pay damages for inkstains.

I don't really mind if you want to ruin your own clothes or furniture.

And I would not think it comfortable. I have put a plastic comb in my back pocket before, but is was uncomfy. I don't do that any more.

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#46 Anabasis

Anabasis

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 20:17

This looks like the most generic pen design one could think of, being passed off as the product of a hard bit of designing.  As was brought up on the last Pen Addict podcast, this could very well be simply put together from a catalog of already-existing parts from the manufacturer.  Doesn't make it bad, just not as original as we are being led to believe.  

I agree with the question "what can it do that a $15 dollar Pilot Metropolitan can't?", adding that Pilot is also a quality, established brand while this unknown pen of mysterious Chinese manufacture costs more than twice as much. 

#47 dragondazd

dragondazd

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:05

Like many have said he knows very little about the fp culture. Do we need another generic looking pen?   

Not sure why it's important to know the culture... an outsider may do said culture some good. One should know the market, including potential customers and product line though.

#48 heymatthew

heymatthew

"All your base are belong to us."

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:42

I backed it. Mostly out of curiosity. I've spent way more money on pens that totally sucked and I've spent much less on pens that totally rocked. It's manufactured in China, yes. But so are TVs, Cellphones, iPads, iPods, Computers, Cars, Can Openers, Pocket Knives, Bookbags, Jeans, Socks, Underwear, Shampoo, Soap, Bottled Water...

I find it slightly amusing that all this talk of "Chinese Manufacture" has come up around this Kickstarter project when there are literally thousands of posts on this forum about Chinese-made pens that are perfectly fine. 

I think if we all had such a big issue with Chinese-made, we'd be living in hand-built log cabins with no modern electronics or vehicles. Or is it okay to pay $700 for a Chinese-made iPhone that costs $123 to make, but it's not okay to pay $37 for a Chinese-made fountain pen that cost $7 to make?

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

#49 heymatthew

heymatthew

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:46

Oh, also, I've got a bottle of Parker Quink that I bought in about 2006 or 2007 when I got my first fountain pen. Still half-full. So I guess a bottle of ink could last 10 years... Especially if you're rotating inks quite frequently, as I do.

Edited by heymatthew, 05 September 2013 - 18:47.

#50 kauloltran

kauloltran

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:12

Where did those 5803+ backers come from?

#51 OnePenGuy

OnePenGuy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:29

So, (in your opinion), was this ks project so popular because it was average enough to appeal to the "lay" ks backer?

Or, for instance, the Pen Type-A, any pen from Chadwick and Joe, or any from Karas Kustoms seem to be popular (in terms of the amount funded) because they seem to be "new" to the general public, and also because the pledges levels are at a price point which folks can easily back without thinking too much about the "investment".  Is that the same with this fp?  It's basic enough to appeal to a bunch of folks, and not be too pricey to back?

Because, for a few different types of projects, I've seen some items which seem to be more original, or have more thought into the design and build quality, but they have a higher price point, and, though they may be better products or worth the extra $$$, fewer folks (and dollars) seem to be attracted to them.  That doesn't make sense to me - it seems that the better quality (and sometimes therefore more expensive) projects should get more backers, just because they're worth it.  Though "worth" or "value" or "quality" is all subjective, huh?

#52 heymatthew

heymatthew

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 20:01

So, (in your opinion), was this ks project so popular because it was average enough to appeal to the "lay" ks backer?

Or, for instance, the Pen Type-A, any pen from Chadwick and Joe, or any from Karas Kustoms seem to be popular (in terms of the amount funded) because they seem to be "new" to the general public, and also because the pledges levels are at a price point which folks can easily back without thinking too much about the "investment".  Is that the same with this fp?  It's basic enough to appeal to a bunch of folks, and not be too pricey to back?

Because, for a few different types of projects, I've seen some items which seem to be more original, or have more thought into the design and build quality, but they have a higher price point, and, though they may be better products or worth the extra $$$, fewer folks (and dollars) seem to be attracted to them.  That doesn't make sense to me - it seems that the better quality (and sometimes therefore more expensive) projects should get more backers, just because they're worth it.  Though "worth" or "value" or "quality" is all subjective, huh?

Well, if I'm half as impressed with the Visionnaire as I was with the Pen Type A, then it'll be a win. After waiting just over a year for the Pen Type A, listening to the manufacturing horror stories, seeing the stolen concept poorly integrated into a pen on Fab (then seeing that pen removed from Fab) and receiving my pen, I was less than impressed. Sure, it's precise and came in a pretty box (essentially a square peg in a round hole with a round peg in a square with a round hole...), but it ruins cartridges. I've gone through at least a handful of perfectly good Hi Tec C cartridges that just failed due to the tip being seated against the metal innards of the Pen Type A's "sleeve" and they just have a tendency to dry out and get messed up from the vacuum created by removing the pen from the "sleeve". 

They're selling the Pen Type A for $150 now (I think I paid like half of that for the KS). I'd value it at maybe $35 to $50 because it's really just a novelty. Shoot, at least the Visionnaire seems to write. 

I think part of the fun of Kickstarter is not in getting a $500 item for the early bird price of $25, but in watching something being made. Sure, I'm disappointed with the Pen Type A, but it was a hell of a lot of fun watching it be made... Right up until they decided to switch manufacturers. Then it got frustrating.

Edited by heymatthew, 05 September 2013 - 20:02.

#53 White Expressions

White Expressions

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 21:59

Since this actually retails after the kickstarter for $80, the question is now, 'what can this pen do that a Targa/51/Vacumatic/Balance/Imperial/45 can't?'. I mean, one could, without doubt, source the above pens, in restored condition for under the $80 mark. With some luck, perhaps, but still a doable thing.

...And let's not get started with the modern stuff it would be competing with, like the Parker Sonnet, Sheaffer Prelude, Lamy Studio, Pelikan M150(pushing it, but it's there), TWSBI 580/Vac, Hero 100/200, and so on.

Yo Buddy. Still alive?

#54 heymatthew

heymatthew

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 22:09

Since this actually retails after the kickstarter for $80, the question is now, 'what can this pen do that a Targa/51/Vacumatic/Balance/Imperial/45 can't?'. I mean, one could, without doubt, source the above pens, in restored condition for under the $80 mark. With some luck, perhaps, but still a doable thing.

...And let's not get started with the modern stuff it would be competing with, like the Parker Sonnet, Sheaffer Prelude, Lamy Studio, Pelikan M150(pushing it, but it's there), TWSBI 580/Vac, Hero 100/200, and so on.

I think this is a problem with a lot of Kickstarter products. The Pen Type A retails now for $150. It doesn't perform like a $150 object, though. The Pebble Smart watch retails now for $150, but I think that's a drop from where it was originally supposed to be. Does it perform like a $150 item? Nope. Early adopters were largely disappointed and the product was ultimately a flop. I've seen a lot of stuff on Kickstarter that is an okay value at the "early bird" pricepoint, but the retail price is significantly out of touch with reality. 

I don't think the Visionnaire will be worth anywhere near $80. But for $35, I figured I might give it a shot. Shoot... I'll burn through a lot more money than that at the shooting range this weekend. :D

#55 Centopar

Centopar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 22:15

I agree: dude is a hack (did you see the video where he fills the thing with what appears to be airbrushing ink?) - but he appears to have found a market for the pen if the funds he's raised are anything to go by. And if that's the case, I'm all for it: if more people are exposed to fountain pens, and, after playing with the Visionnaire, decide to explore a little deeper, that can only be a good thing. Right?

(Still sticks in my craw a little, just because he seems to know and care so little about the matter in hand. But I still think the results for the community could be good.)

Edited by Centopar, 05 September 2013 - 22:16.

#56 OnePenGuy

OnePenGuy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:37

I don't think the Visionnaire will be worth anywhere near $80. But for $35, I figured I might give it a shot. Shoot... I'll burn through a lot more money than that at the shooting range this weekend. :D

So, to you (and/or others) - how do you think the pens from this ks project compares to offerings from Rosetta?  Does it bring anything new?

Edited by OnePenGuy, 09 September 2013 - 19:38.

#57 heymatthew

heymatthew

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:44

So, to you (and/or others) - how do you think the pens from this ks project compares to offerings from Rosetta?  Does it bring anything new?

I've never used a Rosetta or the Visionnaire so I can't say for sure, but I do like the looks of the Rosetta pens better than the Visionnaire. If I were going to spend $80 on a pen, I wouldn't look twice at the Visionnaire. But I'd definitely consider the Rosetta (or a TWSBI or Lamy or a whole host of other pens). 

I think the Visionnaire is a $35 product. I think the Rosetta is worth the asking price from what I can tell. 

Honestly though, you could take a Schmidt or Bock nib and feed and shove it into the end of a stick and it would write the same as if you put it in a solid gold rod. Pens are weird things. Some people wouldn't give a half-eaten sandwich for a TWSBI, but I wouldn't trade my TWSBI's for anything. Others are infatuated with Mont Blanc, but I couldn't really care less about them. I think the beauty of pens, much like other things, is in the eye of the beholder. 

I feel like the Visionnaire is worth $35. I feel that it's nowhere near an $80 product. And I see nothing new that it brings that hasn't been brought 10,000 times before. So no. It brings nothing new. It's just shiny and I'm kin to a raccoon and have a tendency to be drawn to shiny things. 

OOH! What's that over there!?

#58 Wheatflower

Wheatflower

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2013 - 23:52

I find it slightly amusing that all this talk of "Chinese Manufacture" has come up around this Kickstarter project when there are literally thousands of posts on this forum about Chinese-made pens that are perfectly fine. 

I myself don't have a problem with Chinese-made pens; I have a few and they are decent writers.  I am quite certain that someone who knew what they were doing could give a Chinese factory a spec sheet for a pen of a given quality and that factory would faithfully turn out pens that matched that spec.  However.  This is a KS run by someone who thought that "Iridium Point Germany" nibs were made in Germany, and I think this is a bad omen.

I understand your logic in backing it; I just wanted to point out there are reasons not to back it that are more than Chinese=bad.

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

#59 WirsPlm

WirsPlm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,323 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 00:09

Hey, I thought I just bought one of these, it should be here next week. Oh wait, that was a Pilot Metropolitan. That I got for about 60% of what this guy is asking backers for.

The first thing that a wanna-be producer needs to do is research the market they're trying to break into. This guy doesn't even look like he's done that, so I'm not betting that he'll come out with a useable product, let alone one worth what he's asking.

Of all the kickstarters I've backed, the making-new-product ones are almost always over time, over budget, and have massive manufacturing problems. Especially the ones that relied on even semi-intricate machining or small parts. He doesn't look like he's contributing anything new. Pass.

Edited by WirsPlm, 10 September 2013 - 00:09.

#60 ele

ele

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:53

There is absolutely nothing this pen brings to any fountain pen market, aside catering from the hipsters who think it is cool to use and are convinced by the apple-esque advertising of this kick-starter project. The design is fine, but nothing that hasn't been done before; the clip and shape are both very similar to the TWSBI 580 and the upcoming new Montessa. This is classic Kickstarter exploitation.

Edited by ele, 10 September 2013 - 01:54.