#331 thatedeguy

thatedeguy

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:24

I took the pen down as far as I could without tools, but wasn't able to get the Nib or Feed out.  Using a flashlight, I looked into the top of the feed area, and it does appear as if there are threads in there, so am left wondering if, like everything else, it wasn't just ratcheted down so tight that I can't get it to move.  May get brave and see if some pliers don't make it move.  Might end up trying to use the warranty after all...

#332 2brothers

2brothers

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:29

Looking forward to receiving mine!

#333 vossad01

vossad01

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2013 - 20:49

Regarding the nib/feed, it is glued in rather than screwed in.  In absence of the adhesive or the converter holding it in place from the other side, it is rather loose.  When it is separated from the grip to looks something like this: https://www.lanierpe...CFfPm7Aod_0UAUw, where the nib and feed are a single piece.

#334 thatedeguy

thatedeguy

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 17:09

I sent an email to Visionnaire, asking about the nib, and the reply that I got back is that it is a fixed nib, and is non-replaceable.  However, in my fiddling with it, it seems to write much better now.  Not sure what I did.  I also changed the ink at the same time, so that could just as easily have done it.  Was using Noodler's 54th Mass. and now am using R&K Alt-Bordeaux.  Funny thing is that the R&K is a faster drying ink (in my testing) so it should have made the issues worse, not better. 

One thing I did notice was that the nib was aligned a it off center of the feed, and I was able to get it closer to centered.  I'm not familiar enough with how the feed/nib relationship is but it seems like that might have been a contributing factor.

#335 edelgul

edelgul

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:14

Just to contribute to the topic.

when this Kickstarter was active i've in fact found very similar pens  at AliBaba, i've also contacts MontBlanc, Parker and Bock (As Morgan was claiming then that pens had German nibs as i Made in Germany, and that manufacturer of the pen was the same as Mont Blanc and Parker. ) I've even posted some of the communication here.

I've also alerted the Kickstarter stuff 3 weeks before the project was concluded, and has provided them all my communication and links to AliBaba.

Unfortunately as you can see, the project wasn't suspended, while several of my posts with link to surprisingly similar Chinese pens (that were on sale even before the project was concluded) were removed by Kickstarter.

You can still find a number of them there, if you want.

This basically indicates, how much Kickstarter care about potential resale and breaching of their own rules.

#336 stopher

stopher

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:32

Just to contribute to the topic.

when this Kickstarter was active i've in fact found very similar pens  at AliBaba, i've also contacts MontBlanc, Parker and Bock (As Morgan was claiming then that pens had German nibs as i Made in Germany, and that manufacturer of the pen was the same as Mont Blanc and Parker. ) I've even posted some of the communication here.

I've also alerted the Kickstarter stuff 3 weeks before the project was concluded, and has provided them all my communication and links to AliBaba.

Unfortunately as you can see, the project wasn't suspended, while several of my posts with link to surprisingly similar Chinese pens (that were on sale even before the project was concluded) were removed by Kickstarter.

You can still find a number of them there, if you want.

This basically indicates, how much Kickstarter care about potential resale and breaching of their own rules.

WOW. That is very interesting to hear.

Time to put Pen to Paper

#337 edelgul

edelgul

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2014 - 21:44

WOW. That is very interesting to hear.

You can see some of  my messages on the first page of this very topic  (for instance Boch representative stating, that ""Those lousy nibs should have been made by Chinese or Indian manufacturers.""), but i was mainly active on Kickstarter in the main comment section of the pen description. I've also repeatedly suggested Morgan to change description of the pen to make it less misleading (originally it was german hand made nib out of Iridium and so on), which he did. My real name is Egor Tilpunov and you can still see most of those posts (mainly between July 17 - Jul-21, as i was on sick leave and could devote more time to the research) ). First i've tried to get detailed answers regarding manufacturing process, (including issues that were also raised by other backers)  and on August 1 i've posted a link to a very similar looking pen (the cap was very slightly different) at AliBaba and asked to describe the difference. As you see, my Aug 1 message was removed by Kickstarter, even though i wasn't making any direct accusations.

Somewhere around those days it became evident to me that this project was a clear resale fraud and i've reported it to the Kickstarter attaching all statements and emails i've received from MontBlanc, Parker and Boch  as well as the links to simmilar pen at Alibaba suggesting to look into it. I've never heard from Kickstarter since.

Probably another reason to back something on the Kickstarter only if you are absolutely confident in the project creator, as Kickstarter never bothers in checking those projects (unless it is as evident as Koba beef jerkey) and cares only about getting their 5%.

Edited by edelgul, 03 January 2014 - 22:27.

#338 Dr.Slackware

Dr.Slackware

Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:25

Thankfully, I was one of the few that searched before being sucked into the Visionnaire. I actually got into Fountain Pens a few weeks before this, but I was still debating whether to get it.

#339 Dickkooty2

Dickkooty2

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:52

I just got back from watching "The Wolf of Wall Street"… three hours of Martin Scorsese with many of the scenes reminiscent of "Good Fellas".

Why do I bother you with this and why here? Because a set-up at the beginning and at the end of the movie have the DiCaprio character challenging people seated in front of him to "Sell me this pen".

See the movie!

Edited by Dickkooty2, 06 January 2014 - 06:52.

#340 stopher

stopher

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2014 - 21:57

I just got back from watching "The Wolf of Wall Street"… three hours of Martin Scorsese with many of the scenes reminiscent of "Good Fellas".

Why do I bother you with this and why here? Because a set-up at the beginning and at the end of the movie have the DiCaprio character challenging people seated in front of him to "Sell me this pen".

See the movie!

Low and behold, i made it back home without a scratch on the car!  :lticaptd:  :lticaptd:  :lticaptd:  :lticaptd:  :lticaptd:  :lticaptd:

Awesome movie! Not for everyone though.

Back to the Visionnaire. Looks like Morgan has gone A-Wall based on the comments in the campaign. Is it vintage race time again? ;)

Time to put Pen to Paper

#341 spolky

spolky

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:32

I got my warranty replacement pen after sending an email of such grovelling proportions it almost made me sick to write it.

The pen may have cost him only a dollar, but postage to Australia? That's a wee bit more out of his bucket.

:)

#342 heymatthew

heymatthew

"All your base are belong to us."

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2014 - 15:34

I got my warranty replacement pen after sending an email of such grovelling proportions it almost made me sick to write it.

The pen may have cost him only a dollar, but postage to Australia? That's a wee bit more out of his bucket.

I'd be interested in hearing this email... I sent a fairly short message and ended up with an immediate refund. Took about 2 hours total and he didn't require that I send the pen back to him so I still have range fodder if the weather ever clears up...

:)

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

#343 Dr.Slackware

Dr.Slackware

Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:00

^Well that's good!

I had a good laugh at the notebook Visionnaire, until I read the sickening comments, where he masqueraded as his "colleague".

#344 Dr.Slackware

Dr.Slackware

Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:03

Notice in the notebook video how the screen changes multiple times, probably in order to pick up a new pen. :lol:

#345 Emperor

Emperor

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2014 - 19:47

Umm... who wrote these

http://visionnairedesign.com/reviews/

#346 vossad01

vossad01

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2014 - 19:50

Umm... who wrote these

At least some of those look like things I remember reading in the KS comments section.

#347 heymatthew

heymatthew

"All your base are belong to us."

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2014 - 19:52

Umm... who wrote these

Probably made up for the most part. Either that or he gave people free pens in exchange for reviews, etc. 

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

#348 Cyclin

Cyclin

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2014 - 00:30

Ahhh, so I've found the voice which broke my heart, albeit for the 5 minutes it took me to decide I'm now delving further into fountain pens.

heymatthew thank you for your review, I actually found the video in my first 15 minutes of research after un-tubing my own pile of disappointment. Although initially I was a little annoyed with myself for not researching the exact pen first, I've come to view it as spending $45 to discover a new collection hobby.

<<Also a KS junkie, still waiting for my Coin and Pressy haha

#349 MattD

MattD

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:15

This thread is how I found Fountainpennetwork, back when the Kickstarter was still on. I had backed for two pens, liking the idea but the details started to bug me and I started to Google...

Doubt over the quality and impatience lead me to cancel my backing and pitch in a bit more to get a Pelikan m200 instead. Best decision ever.

#350 dkirker

dkirker

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:20

Wow.... How disappointing. The comments on the joint project really speak volumes to the original pen project. I bought (ha!) into this because I grew up, and have lived in, the SF Bay Area most of my life. But what a disappointment. The pen does feel nice, but I can't including it in the rotation that I carry around knowing it is a lie.

I still plan to design, and hopefully create, my own faountain pens some day. But I certainly won't lie about it...

#351 stopher

stopher

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 13:44

I haven't been reviewing the Visionnaire KS comments for a few months now, and with today's posted I decided to see how things have been playing out. What a shame. People still don't have pens, and those that received are requested refunds are not getting a response.

I know that I shouldn't be surprised by these postings considering the broken moral compass of one "visionnaire", but he had a chance to gain back some credibility by offering a refund to the percentage of backers requesting it, and low and behold, he has disappeared into the ether of the www. 

As Mr. Colbert would say, Wag of the Finger to you Morgan Combes

Time to put Pen to Paper

#352 penlife

penlife

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:41

I joined FPN today after reading about the issues with the Visionnaire.  I was an original backer on KS and was happy to be a part of a project that looked so much like "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington."  I was taken by the "authenticity" of the pitch, so much so that I envisioned an astute, skinny French man pouring his life savings into the love of his life - a fountain pen.  I watched the beautifully crafted videos and marvelled at the excellent calligraphy and the entire story.  I gladly sent my money to Morgan for the pen. 

When it arrived, I wasn't disappointed.  The packaging was superb.  However, having written with several fountain pens before, including Waterman's, Parkers and Montblancs, I was slightly disappointed with the scratchy quality of the nib.  I assumed that this was just a breaking in period.  I was happy with the weight of the pen, something that I like with Watermans.  But I began to notice a few things as time went on.  The scratchy consistency of the nib never improved even after 3 months.  The converter never seemed to fill evenly.  It was always filled with bubbles.  No matter what I did, no matter how fast or how slow I filled it.  The pen was still useable and because I use it predominantly to sign documents, I wasn't too disappointed with it.

However, the converter has been a constant bother to me.  Over the past month it has failed to lower itself, despite the number of turns that I have given it.  I have had to push down the top as I turn in order for it to advance.  Today, I got a little tired of doing this and went to contact Morgan to see if I could replace the converter.  After all, he sent a beautifully "hand written" thank you note that seemed heart warmingly welcoming.  I was stunned when I was met with a parked domain.  To me that signalled a problem!  I had never seen that with any of my Kickstarter projects.  I then Googled Visionnaire and suddenly found a large number of posts, mainly from FPN disparaging the Visionnaire.  I went back to Kickstarter only to find that most people thought that this was a scam.   Some had not received their pens and others were having significant problems, including the scratchy nib and problems with filling the barrel, similar to my own issues.  

But the kick in the pants came from one KS poster Josh Barrett on Feb 28.  To pay $30-$40 for a project which claimed to have independent research and design and to show a video of a man claiming to work for years creating a concept and bringing that concept to life, only to find out that I have been scammed, made me feel awful.  Apparently Mr. Morgan Combes of BHG spent about 80 cents (possibly up to $4) for each pen and rebranded it under the Visionnaire label.  Suddenly it all made sense.  That nib was never going to improve.  There was no break in period.  I fell for a scam !  I was stunned to see the pen in all its glory on Alibaba.  I had to stop working for hours and kept putting the pen up to the screen, looking for reasons why this couldn't be true.   I continued searching the internet and found more horror stories of people with broken nibs, ink spilling everywhere; pens working for only a few days etc.  Alibaba has called the pens "Novelty Pens."  However to those of us who have been scammed, believing that we were buying quality, there is no Novelty here.  

Tonight I am going on Ebay and a few other places to see if I can find a decent Fountain Pen for a reasonable used price.  Until I move out of the city, I will use a used pen for a while. Be Careful Everyone.   And to those of you who keep complaining about not having received your pen, you would be better off with a Metropolitan Pilot, available for $10 on Amazon.  That would only be a few more dollars and will probably suffice as a cheap alternative until you can pick up a decent pen.

Thank you for this forum and website.  I only wish that I had found you before I sent any money to this Kickstarter Project.

Chagrined.

#353 warblerick

warblerick

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 13:15

What really surprises me is that there is still any interest in "the Visionnaire". I think if anyone has or had read the (many,many) posts here, you'd get a good idea of what this scam was all about. I read the very first post when it first came on here, and thought to myself, "a scam".

Brings to mind the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is". 

And another, from PT Barnum, "there's a sucker born every minute".