Visionnaire Fountain Pen

millerb7

Keep in mind that by pointing out the truth of the matter people have to acknowledge that they were taken for a ride. Most probably don't want to hear it.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stopher

• heymatthew

• TheGreatRoe

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And then there's this video from the kickstarter page which just made me straight up cringe as someone who's OCD about pen hygiene, changed ink alot and someone who doesn't like to wreck stuff because he loaded the pen with dip pen inks that contain adhesives.

Wait... You don't use that kind of ink in all of your most expensive, most favorite pens? :D

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

Keep in mind that by pointing out the truth of the matter people have to acknowledge that they were taken for a ride. Most probably don't want to hear it.

You don't say...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zMiJ3bVnxk4/UTfC3RyKz1I/AAAAAAAABi4/TxtuzGetB_Y/s1600/Cute-Chimpanzees.jpg

BEST RESPONSE EVER!

I feel horrible too, I really like this hobby, but as evident by the first few pages... the elitist snob culture is quite strong, and does nothing to invite new people who will appreciate fountain pens.

Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more. By and large, the FP community is one of the most welcoming and helpful groups that you're going to find among hobbyists. Look at the posts in any of the "entry level pen" threads and you see users who are genuinely concerned with making sure that the novice has a positive first experience. This was the spirit of the initial line of questioning in the campaign and even later (despite Morgan's increasing evasiveness).

No one was saying that a $37 pen was going to be garbage because it was less than $600. In fact, the biggest issue I (and many others) had with the whole thing was that there are some GREAT pens that can be had for less, sold by knowledgable vendors with quality controls in place. Most concerns raised were that the widely varying quality of Chinese pen manufacturers combined with someone that clearly had no real FP knowledge would end up resulting in a bad first time experience for backers.

Yes, there are some folks here that will extoll the virtues of a $600 pen, but you'll very likely find those same folks also own their share of Lamy Safaris, TWSBIs, and other "entry level" pens as well. They're going to suggest buying a Pilot Metropolitan to a new user instead of shunning them since they can't buy a Visconti. What they won't do is send them to a vendor that wants to charge 4 times what retail should be for a shoddier version of a Jinhao jammed into a cardboard tube.

Edited by hank scorpio

But it is a very attractive card board tube that was skillfully designed :headsmack:

Look at you! Ever the optimist. :)

The tube and packaging are... novel, ....the pen feels okay and writes well with my Waterman ink, this cost was minimal... I'm happy... do I feel duped, no, because as I suggested in my earlier post, I didn't expect or pay for much, got what I "pledged" for ...note, pledging should not be likened to buying, there is no guarantee during a crowd funding project that the project will, in the first instance, even go ahead (although if the funding target is not reached usually all pledges are refunded or not collected), if the project does go ahead, there is limited recourse in the event it fails or that the return on one's pledge is less than expected... if you didn't get the pen you expected (wrong converter, colour, loose cap etc) complain... you were promised a lifetime guarantee... if however, you got what you pledged for, but are not happy with the grade of pen, the amount you paid or the degree of new design involved then sorry but caveat emptor applies, there was no Visionaire pen before the kickstarter, there is now, the fact that this may be just a budget off-the-shelf pen with fresh laser etching doesn't mean the project wasn't delivered... it would just mean that it was not the result of novel development... whether that is unacceptable in this case is a matter for kickstarter to decide.

And now you can have a mass-produced notebook to write in

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/730727524/handcrafted-notebook-for-the-visionnaire

It seems like the artist who makes these for Morgan sells her own notebooks on Etsy. There's no direct comparison anymore but though there's a smaller version for less than half the price.

Seems like he's playing chicken with the rules of Kickstarter again, using pre-existing journals as way to sell more pens (the Visionnaire FP is offered as a reward level). But I guess since Kickstarter didn't care last time, they won't care this time, either.

This part made me laugh:

Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter

If Visionnaire gets funded, then we will make sure everything goes according to plan to meet the deadline date. As soon as funding is done, production of Visionnaire will start. Expected shipping dates approximately late January - February, 2014.

Total used car salesman answer. A lot of words with no real meaning.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

Hand selected leather by our partners in the Far East.

I believe she is real and has a story, but I wonder where these "handcrafted" books will be made!

It is a very romantic story with her binding a book in her studio.

Time to put Pen to Paper

I was under the impression you couldn't run additional Kicks for the same product, but I actually couldn't find anything in the rules/ToU. :(

No offense to whateverhernameis, but I really hope this doesn't fund

This is just sad. I always thought Kickstarter was great, but this changed my opinion dramatically. The only thing left to say is: if they don't stop this 'visionnaire' guy, this will become the norm. More people will start scamming on kickstarter. Why? Because, apparently, it's so easy to pull off and KS won't do anything about it. I fear it's already too late.

Smooth 24lb natural writing paper by Wausau

Funny thing is that Wausau makes industrial/commercial toilet wipes and 24lb means it's fancy tissue paper.

Way down at the bottom of the project page, there is a "Report this project to Kickstarter" button...

There are other platforms for e-commerce and pre-orders so using it seemed appropriate to me. I like Kickstarter and I too don't want to see it go the way of being pre-orders and scams.

(Interesting note: the FPN forum let me paste the whole button into the editor replete with styling; and it looked like the link would have worked from here)

Funny thing is that Wausau makes industrial/commercial toilet wipes and 24lb means it's fancy tissue paper.

:lticaptd:

Other than being associated with Visionnaire and the extremely empty campaign page, this project doesnt appear to be in an violation. I have seen other projects where the maker included past campaign items as rewards. He was machining them himself so there was more honor in the reward. With this new project it seems to be more along these lines, holy (bleep), i just made off with 300K and have I a garage of 100,000 pens to unload :ninja:

Time to put Pen to Paper