The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor King Of Pen Maki-E "tiger Lily"

lots of pictures!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Painterspal

Painterspal

Addicted to urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:02

Sailor King of Pen "Tiger Lily"

KOP_MF14828.jpg

Having become badly addicted to all things urushi, it was probably inevitable that I’d move on to ‘Class A’ pen drugs in the end – the full maki-e. So why did I buy Tiger Lily? I already own a raw ebonite KOP, so I knew I’d like it, and given Sailor’s (and Japanese pen makers as a whole) reputations I had good reasons to assume that the fit and finish would be exemplary – which they were.  From a more personal perspective, I’m drawn to images of the natural world, so the exotic subject was appealing. It also happened that the cat we owned while I was growing up was called…  Tiger Lily. So when I came across this beauty, it just had to be mine.

KOP_MF14832.jpg

I actually used to be pretty down on Sailor’s King of Pen. Until I tried one I always wrote it off as nothing more than a MB149 clone, and this led me ignore it for way too long. How wrong I was! The KOP is a stunning pen, and while the shape and size bear a strong resemblance to the venerable German, I actually think Sailor has remedied the two things I like least about the 149; the piston – which ruins the balance and makes cleaning tiresome, and the bling – for me the 149 has associations with power and authority which don’t sit well in my hand. Actually, there’s a third difference that I really appreciate - the base material. Instead of resin (precious or otherwise), Sailor uses ebonite. I really like ebonite. It’s always warm and inviting to the touch, and I like its smell too, although that’s not relevant in this case as the whole pen is lacquered.

Tiger Lily is, as far as I can tell, unique; one of a set of twelve pens commissioned from the renowned maki-e artist Daikai by Authentic Goods from Japan. Each has a different design and I understand more are planned.

The pen has a pale biscuit coloured ground that is very slightly mottled. Magnified it looks like a very small version of a purple Karanuri urushi pen I own, but in this case it’s a tiny random organic pattern comprising three slightly different colours. The techniques used are Togidashi and Taka Maki-e and the main design is slightly raised. The lilies are designed and rendered so vivaciously that they appear to be dancing around the pen. It’s beautifully balanced and I particularly like that it continues unbroken across both the barrel and cap.

KOP_MF14846.jpg

KOP_MF14838.jpg

However, this causes one of two slight issues I have with the pen – the cap threads do not always line up. It’s just an aspect of the thread design and hardly a problem because this pen was never intended as a daily writer, but it is worth a mention. Not surprisingly, given the quality of the artwork and craftsmanship, the pen is signed by the artist towards the bottom of the barrel.

KOP_MF14831.jpg

Tiger Lily also has a little design on the top of the cap. I think it finishes the pen off beautifully and, in my imagination, I see it as the sun that the lilies are reaching up towards. However, you could also see it as an amusing reference to the MB logo although I doubt this was intended! The top of the cap is the other feature I should mention as a slight downside. On the KOP, the outer part of the cap comprises two pieces to allow the clip to be fitted. Normally, you barely notice it but on this design you do. I spotted after I had taken the photos that it was very slightly loose, so I gently tightened it up and it’s now much less noticeable. However, I still wish that Sailor designed their caps like Danitrio and Namiki so that nothing detracts from the lines of the pen and the design – the join catches my eye too much.

KOP_MF14836.jpg

Aside from the design, the pen is a standard KOP, so I won’t dwell too much on its specification. The general construction is ebonite, but I wonder whether the section may be plastic. Rather like a Nakaya, some of its ‘innards’ are metal (brass?) and this gives it some heft. It is not particularly heavy – about 23g uncapped - which is about perfect for me. Interestingly, the cap on the Maki-e pen is a couple of grams heavier than the plain ebonite version. I don’t post the pen so it isn’t relevant to its performance.

Although an oversize pen, I find it very comfortable to hold and uncapped its size is comparable to several popular Japanese competitors. The broad girth and perfect balance greatly contribute to what I can only describe as a near perfect writing experience. Oh, and the nib! What else is there left to say about these fantastic oversize Sailor nibs? Actually, there is something to say – I wish more companies offered something similar! The 21K medium nib is similar to a western fine, fairly firm with just a little spring, and a very nice writer. Flow is beyond reproach and with the right ink it achieves some nice shading. Being a fine nib the relatively small capacity of the converter isn’t a problem.

KOP_MF14843.jpg

I hope it’s apparent that I love this pen. The Sailor KOP is, IMO, one of the nicest Japanese pens already but, by adding a beautiful maki-e design to it, Daikai and Authentic Goods from Japan have created something truly special. My pictures don’t begin to do it justice. To finish here it is alongside my two other maki-e wonders, a Danitrio Takumi and the Danitrio Fellowship Pen (sorry for the finger print on the Takumi!).

KOP_MF14874.jpg

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

Sponsored Content

#2 quinden

quinden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:19

What a beautiful pen! I've been waiting for these pictures since your teaser post :)

Congratulations!!

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

#3 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 13:59

Wow! Excellent pics of a great pen. Thanks for sharing and enjoy.

#4 Painterspal

Painterspal

Addicted to urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 21:21

Thanks both - much appreciated.

#5 shuuemura

shuuemura

Japanese Pen Lover.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 21:28

Beautiful pen and great photography! I like writing with my Sailor KOP very much too. Enjoy in good health.

#6 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2013 - 00:01

stunning pen :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#7 Bigeddie

Bigeddie

Must not purchase more ink.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 1,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:48

Absolutely shockingly beautiful, I had always thought that the lighter base colours looked out of character until I saw this.

I'm awaiting my (accidental) ebonite KoP, and can't wait to get my hands on it. 

Dare I ask what you use in rotation / regularly?

Thank you for sharing it with us :)

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

#8 rochester21

rochester21

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:16

The main colors and the finish are really special, i have to admit. 

#9 oronet commander

oronet commander

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:35

That is one of the most beautiful pens I've ever seen :o

#10 Painterspal

Painterspal

Addicted to urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2013 - 21:08

Absolutely shockingly beautiful, I had always thought that the lighter base colours looked out of character until I saw this.

I'm awaiting my (accidental) ebonite KoP, and can't wait to get my hands on it. 

Dare I ask what you use in rotation / regularly?

Thank you for sharing it with us :)

Thanks, my pleasure. An accidental KOP sounds like a nice kind of accident to have!

I usually have about six pens inked at any one times, of which five are pretty much constant. In the office I use a pair of Nakaya Long Piccolos - an unpolished shu and a heki tamenuri - and my raw ebonite KOP. They all have fine/extra fine nibs. At home I usually have my Nakaya Neo Standard inked because it has a fabulous Mottishaw cursive italic nib that I like to use for letters. I also have a one of my urushi Danitrios inked too in case I fancy a change, and also one of my special three maki-e pens photographed above. At the moment its the new KOP needless to say! I sometimes can't resist inking something else but I try not to have too many on the go!

#11 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 21:22

Great review, fabulous photos - thanks  :thumbup:

#12 Lince

Lince

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:22

This pen is beautiful, thanks for sharing. 

Although you say it is ebonite that finish sure makes it look like wood. 

Very interesting. 

#13 Painterspal

Painterspal

Addicted to urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:32

This pen is beautiful, thanks for sharing. 

Although you say it is ebonite that finish sure makes it look like wood. 

Very interesting. 

Thanks! Actually, in the hand it looks a little like egg shell.

#14 Mkim

Mkim

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:08

ops

Edited by Mkim, 04 July 2013 - 18:09.

#15 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:20

nice review and pics!

thanks!

Cogito ergo sum

#16 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 13:59

Wow the first picture got me hooked.  Congrats and enjoy.  Love the pic with all the pens as well.

#17 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 19:43

nice pen. The flowers are wonderfuly rendered. Enjoy it!

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#18 Painterspal

Painterspal

Addicted to urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 21:25

Thanks All, much appreciated.

#19 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:13

:puddle:  simply beautiful.  you just can't go wrong with japanese brands.  they rarely disappoint. 

Edited by rudyhou, 11 July 2013 - 05:14.

-rudy-

#20 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:46

Gorgeous pen Painterspal...

Quick question: is the maki-e on this pen commissioned by AGJ themselves, rather than Sailor?

Too many pens; too little writing.

Sponsored Content

|