The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Onoto Magna Classic Royal Ruby

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 View from the Loft

View from the Loft

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:06

Onoto Magna Classic Royal Ruby

OK, I'll admit it.  I saw the photographs of these on the Onoto website and started drooling.  Fortunately for me, these pens became available just as my employer handed me some vouchers as my long service award.  Combine them with the discount that Onoto give for members of the WES, and I could just about justify buying this pen.  Oh wait, I did.

IMGP4698.jpg

IMGP4699.jpg

IMGP4700.jpg

Appearance and Design 10

This pen is quite a departure from the rest of the line up of the Magna Classics.  It is manufactured from a glossy acrylic, with the section being from the same material (in contrast to the black section supplied with some of the other colours).  Another difference is that the barrel does not have the usual imprint confirming that you are holding/looking at an Onoto.

The silver furniture provides a striking contrast, and is, in my opinion, far more aesthetically pleasing than gold would have been.

IMGP4702.jpg

IMGP4703.jpg

Construction and Quality 9

I have one minor gripe – and it is minor but as you are all pen addicts, you will share my pain.  When my pen first arrived, I could not ink it because the barrel stubbornly refused to unscrew.  According to David at Onoto, this is sometimes caused by fumes from solvents.  After a few frustrating days, and just when I thought I was going to have to give up and send it back, cycles of heat and cold did the trick.

The pen is beautifully finished, with not a manufacturing mark, burr or anything to be found that shouldn’t be.  Nothing rattles that shouldn’t – indeed, nothing rattles on this pen.  Acrylic it may be, but it doesn’t feel thin or brittle.

Weight and Dimensions 9

This is a large pen, but very light in weight for the size.  However, I comfortably use it for all day writing sessions, and while I am currently recovering from a thumb injury, it’s the only pen I can use all day.  But fortunately, I have had the pen for long enough to say that for me the balance is perfect unposted (the only pen I post is a Kaweco Sport).

Nib and Performance 10

The nib in this pen was ground to a CI for me by John Sorowka (included in the overall cost of the pen), and as John has worked on several nibs for me and knows what I like, I would have been very disappointed if it hadn’t been just right when I inked the pen.

I needn’t have worried, it is perfect for me.  Apologies for the writing sample, but my writing is very poor at the moment due to a) the thumb injury and B) lack of sleep.

The nib is smooth, and glides over the paper with a tiny amount of feedback.  It’s a wet writer, but that’s how I like them.

Filling System and Maintenance 10

What can I say?  It’s a cartridge convertor.  I haven’t experienced a problem with it, and should one occur, I know what to do.  I have found that these pens are easier to flush than many others out there, so that’s a bonus.

Cost and Value 9

Oh how I would love to give this a score of 10.  But I can’t – it is an expensive pen, but a very beautiful pen that writes flawlessly.

However, it arrived well packed in a stunningly beautiful and simple box, burr walnut I believe.  This almost pushed this score back to a 10.

Conclusion 9.5

A strikingly beautiful, albeit expensive pen, which writes flawlessy.  The Magna Classics are pens that look beautiful, not pieces of jewellery that happen to write.

IMGP4704.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:19

Thank you

The nibs are indeed very good. In have a CI-M nib by John.

Enjoy your pen.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#3 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:35

very nice pen,remind me some duofold...just for the global look. Nice review thanks

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#4 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:01

Great pens and there used to be a discount available to members of FPN as well. Check with David.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#5 DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:07

The acrylic looks like frozen crushed cranberries - lovely.

The converters are the very reliable Schmidt K5 and are easy to overhaul if they ever get stiff. The gold coloured ring at the back end of the converter unscrews (it may resist the first time) and it can then be disassembled for cleaning and re-greasing.

My Onoto Magna 261 (gold on black chased) shows almost no wear after around a year as a daily writer. Given a buff with a microfibre cloth it looks as good as new. They are very well made and incredibly reliable modern pens, feel satisfying in the hand and are a pleasure to write with.

#6 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:20

If only the clips had just a little bit more flexibility, they'd be perfect.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#7 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:32

Great review of a lovely pen, thanks

#8 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 23:59

looks very nice, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#9 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:54

Gorgeous pens. I am glad Onoto had the courage to make these. They are reminiscent of the Celluloid Magna's of the 1930's and are so attractive.

Regards,

Richard

#10 david6

david6

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:55

Good review of the Onoto Royal Ruby - a great looking pen  :thumbup: I note the comments about the silver furniture, however I had mine made with gold furniture and in my opinion it is every bit as aesthetically pleasing  :D

Edited by david6, 01 July 2013 - 09:56.

#11 View from the Loft

View from the Loft

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,332 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:34

Good review of the Onoto Royal Ruby - a great looking pen  :thumbup: I note the comments about the silver furniture, however I had mine made with gold furniture and in my opinion it is every bit as aesthetically pleasing  :D

That's one of the good things about Onoto - they will work with you to deliver the pen that you want and they do listen to their customers.

it's a pity my photographs don't do this handsome pen justice.

#12 david6

david6

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:16

That's one of the good things about Onoto - they will work with you to deliver the pen that you want and they do listen to their customers.

it's a pity my photographs don't do this handsome pen justice.

Yes, I find Onoto unique in the way they handle their customers. As for your photographs, they are a lot better than mine would have been  :sick:

#13 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:37

If I recall correctly the wood is burl elm. Whatever, it is, it looks great.

The ruby resin looks good with the sliver trim, and I suspect it would also look good with either yellow or rose gold.

Sponsored Content

|