Caran D'ache 849

gwet432

Hello!

Since I still use ball-points I decided to do a review on my favourite and current daily user: Caran d'Ache 849.

!WARNING! Due to extreme nature of pen colour, some readers might experience eye damage!

I got this pen a while ago and use it in conjunction with my fountain pens for taking notes on the fly. This is a very iconic pen (designed in 1960, I think...) that has remained virtually unchanged over the years. I got this colour because it makes an extraordinary pen even more extraordinary :D.

It comes in a nice white case, slim enough to fit in an inner pocket (although I think it would be kind of weird to use as an everyday pen case).

IMG_0074 by tamasilyes, on Flickr

IMG_0076 by tamasilyes, on Flickr

So... here's the pen itself (note: colour is more vivid highliter yellow in reality...)

IMG_0077 by tamasilyes, on Flickr

There is no noticeable click when engaging the button, it has a smooth swiss watch like action.

IMG_0079 by tamasilyes, on Flickr

IMG_0080 by tamasilyes, on Flickr

Here it is disassembled, that is the original Goliath "blot free" refill ("blot free" as in it writes so dry there's nothing to blot). It's a little shorter than a Parker type refill, so I had to cut a portion off of the Faber-Castell and change the spring to a shorter one.

IMG_0084 by tamasilyes, on Flickr

IMG_0086 by tamasilyes, on Flickr

And also a writing sample with both refills.

001 by tamasilyes, on Flickr

In case you can't read my "beautiful" writing:

(1) Caran d'Ache 849 with Goliath refill

"The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times."

(Paulo Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept)

------ Pressure

------ Light pressure

------ Pen's own weight

This refill might be advertised to write 8000 m without blots but no one said it is to do so smoothly. The flow is appalling, the smoothness more so.

(2) Caran d'Ache 849 with Faber-Castell refill

"The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times."

(Paulo Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept)

Aaahh...! It's soooo nice to write with this one compared to the Goliath. I found this refill to be even smoother than a Parker.

------ Pressure

------ Light pressure

------ Pen's own weight

Bonus: Still, nothing beats a fountain pen :) (Picasso 916)

My writing is so much nicer with fountain pens but I still use ball-points now and then.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gwet432

• Rednaxela

• WriteAway

• NedC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good review. Strange though. All seven or eight Goliath refills I have in use are incredibly smooth, even the fines.

Thanks,

-DM

Good review. Strange though. All seven or eight Goliath refills I have in use are incredibly smooth, even the fines.

Thanks,

-DM

Yes, it could be that I was just unlucky and got a faulty one ( when i first tried it I was like: "Hmm... I expected more from a company like CdA") but it's like it has crayon ground to a paste and put inside instead of ink.

Simple and very elegant. It is one of my favorite pens for everyday use. My colors are blue, orange and white.

Simple and very elegant. It is one of my favorite pens for everyday use. My colors are blue, orange and white.

I totally agree! I only have this one and was thinking of getting the gold version (saw it the other day).

BTW, how do your refills write?

Edited by gwet432

post-2411-0-06722600-1372404093_thumb.jpg

I have the 849 in grey, black and yellow, plus the gold version. The gold example is a beautiful pen, but I hate to take a chance on damaging the finish by using it, so the others are used instead. The refills perform well most of the time, with only a rare blob to show on cheap paper. Now if the pen body were larger to fit my hands better, I'd be even more pleased.

I have several, in different widths and colours, and have never had any problems with the Goliath refills. Other than locating them in the pre-internet era:) I first discovered the C d'A 849 in a sale bin at an art supply over 20 years ago and realized I had discovered the perfect ballpoint and since I was doing a lot of shipping and receiving work which meant filling out endless carbonless forms it was a great discovery. I have real soft spot for these pens.

• 3 years later...

The best ball pen made, for people who hate rollers

the refill is more expensive than Parker

check this video for changing refill

I think this thread is in the wrong section, but This is the only non-fountain pen I have ever considered buying. Love the design. :thumbup:

Terrific pen, great design. Thanks for sharing!

Considering this thread is officially 10 days short of being 3 yers old, you're welcome :D

I have the caran d ache chevron ecridor and interestingly enough it to has the same mechanism. Unfortunately the swiss mechanism doesnt push the ink refill out now i suppose due to time. I sent it for servicing but other than that they write very smooth.