Sheaffer Legacy Heritage Sterling Silver In Palladium Trim

Pen2009

I am eyeing a Sheaffer Legacy Heritage Sterling Silver in Palladium trim with an F nib. As far as the feel of the pen is concerned, it is similar to Pilot Silvern fountain pens? How would you rate/evaluate yours?

Both models sport a inlaid nib, albeit in different shapes. The price of less than USD 300 is good for this pen as new? I like the design of that pen by looking at the pictures. My preliminary search on the web gave me a few reviews, which rate this pen in a very positive light.

In regard to a Sheaffer converter, are there any well reported problems? Like, Lamy's converters tend to have a weak seal in the piston and Pilot's CON-50 requires repeated filling to get a satisfactory fill.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen2009

• georges zaslavsky

• Tancred

• Ron Z

I have both the pens(actually several of the silvern), and the sole sheaffer I have is in Gold trim like the pen below below, pic flicked from the Sheaffer website:

http://www.sheaffer.com/images/writing-instruments/LegacyHeritage/detail/9037-detail.jpg

The cap of the silvern posts deeper so posted the silvern feels more unified, the sheaffer when posted is not as pleasurable. The sheaffer's section is slightly wider than the silvern at my gripping point, YMMV. The sheaffer is a very nice writer and I have the non USA made version.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have both the pens(actually several of the silvern), and the sole sheaffer I have is in Gold trim like the pen below below, pic flicked from the Sheaffer website:

The cap of the silvern posts deeper so posted the silvern feels more unified, the sheaffer when posted is not as pleasurable. The sheaffer's section is slightly wider than the silvern at my gripping point, YMMV. The sheaffer is a very nice writer and I have the non USA made version.

Thank you for sharing your experiences of this Sheaffer. I read a few reviews which praise its smooth writing characteristics. If you have a choice to pick a Silvern or a Sheaffer Legacy Heritage Sterling Silver for your day trip, which one would you pick? Both pens have snap-on caps. The grip section is plastic. The body and cap are made of sterling silver. So, there are some valid similarities between those 2 models.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I have the Legacy Heritage in Silver Interrupted Barleycorn with factory stub which finally made it to my top three after a lot of frustration with ink starvation. I tried numerous inks and even a trip back to Sheaffer for nib unit exchange until I discovered that it simply will not work with a convertor. Once I tried a Sheaffer cartridge, all problems disappeared. Now, I simply refill the cartridge with syringe using the ink of my choice.

Get an older legacy I or legacy II from teri morris website or send her an email about your next purchase

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

It seems the user reviews on this model are rather muted. I have put this model in the back burner for now as I could not see a compelling reason to purchase it.

Edited by Pen2009

• 1 year later...

You should buy it - it's a good pen and it's sterling silver for Pete's sake!! $300 is a gift for a sterling pen.

No experience with the Pilots, but lots with the Legacy. About 6 years ago I was told that the US was just 10% of Sheaffers market, which may explain why you don't see many reviews of the pen. It's also been in production longer than FPN has been around, so the initial excitement and reviews came out before such things became popular here.

The Legacy is a well made pen, solid construction, durable. I have several, and have had several more pass through my hands over the years. My barleycorn sterling in one of the few pens that has never been emptied and stored since I bought it.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I have the very first production Legacy that was made in 1995. It was a Pen World contest, and I was lucky enough to win it (it is marked as Legacy one Pen World 1995).. I can tell you that this pen (yes I have inked it) writes incredibly well, something that you cannot say for some modern day pens that are regular production line pens.

the Danitrio Fellowship

• 2 weeks later...

The legacy I and II pens are formidable writers indeed

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time