Parker Sonnet Review

Robinkeys

First Impressions (9.5/10)
The pen arrived in a nice Parker gift box, with everything all safe and secure. Included was one black Quink cartridge that I put aside. The pen is not the most striking design, but I like the simplicity and the fact that it isn’t too flashy.
Appearance (9.5)
The pen has a stainless steel body with gold-plated trims. It is a fairly simple design, but I like the fact that it is sort of understated. The cap has a black jewel, and the distal end of the barrel has a little black dot. The grip section is black and is smooth, but not slippery. Overall, this is a nice design.
Design/Size/Weight (9.5)
The pen is not very large, and is rather light for an all-metal pen. The pen is similar in length to a Sheaffer’s Triumph Imperial is similar in girth to a Cross ATX. It is long enough to be used comfortably unposted, but it can also be used posted, feeling just the slightest bit top-heavy.
Nib (9.75)
The nib is gold-plated stainless steel, and it has the classic Sonnet intersecting lines design. The nib is pretty smooth out of the box, but nowhere near as smooth as my Parker 100. It isn’t scratchy or toothy, but it may have a tiny bit of feedback on Clairefontaine paper.
Filling System (8)
The filling system isn’t anything too great, just a normal cartridge-converter. The pen came packed with Parker’s slide-style converter and one black cartridge. The converter holds a fair amount of ink, but nowhere near as much as a piston or ED filler.
Cost and Value (10)
The pen costs USD$106 retail, but it can be found on Amazon nearer the $80 mark. I got mine from Pen Seller From France, and I had no issues whatsoever. I think that for this price, the pen is great value for the money. The design is nice and simple, colors are nice, and the pen is solidly built.
Conclusion (9.375)
Overall, this is a great pen, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to someone who is looking for a slightly higher-end pen than your typical TWSBI or Safari.

"One's greatness is defined not only by their deeds, but also by the pen they carry."

My YouTube Channel: InkyJoys

Inky Meanderings: my pen, paper and ink blog

Best Non-FP user line ever: "Is that a calligraphy pen?"

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• Robinkeys

• archie001

• Bigeddie

Robinkeys,

Thanks for review.

I have one Parker Sonnet too and like it very much. I bought mine from Pen Seller for France too and the nib was scratchy in beginning but after almost 1 month of daily use it´s come to be very very smooth. Now It´s the smoothest fountain pen.

And I like the appearence too. Mine is black with gold trim. Very eye catching and robust feel of heavy weight.

Best regards

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

[socrates]

Sometimes I post something about pens and penmanship at my blog

Instagram@carretera18

man, I am really want the stainless steel version of this pen! Glad you like yours and now I am even more tempted!

I have 4 of the steel nibbed sonnets, 2 of which are the stainless steel flighters (GT and CT) like the one reviewed here. Love the overall balanced feel of the pen and the smooth clutch mechanism that clicks the cap closed. The best part is the nib though as it has one of the springiest steel nibs out there IMHO that yields some decent line variation for a steel nib.

Oh sorry! I forgot to mention the spring! :headsmack: I agree with max dog that it is the springiest steel nib I have ever tried.

"One's greatness is defined not only by their deeds, but also by the pen they carry."

My YouTube Channel: InkyJoys

Inky Meanderings: my pen, paper and ink blog

Best Non-FP user line ever: "Is that a calligraphy pen?"

really nice review robinkey! enjoyed reading it. glad to see another favourable review of the sonnet which are great pens. if only i could type on my iphone

I have had 3 Sonnets all with the gold nibs. The stub nib is fantastic, the XF is acceptable, I had a medium that barely wrote and was quickly returned. They seem to be a bit hit and miss.

I like my Sonnets, but if you get a bad one don't be afraid to return or exchange it.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

i have the same pen in a set: a fountain pen, ballpoint pen, and mechanical pencil. i bought the set in the late 80s and have them in my pens cabinet in the original pen pouch that they came with - still look like brand new as i always polish the gold coated parts!. i agree that they are nice pens and i treasure them among my other pens. i have changed the nib from F to M and been very satisfied with it. thanks for the nice review!

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

i'm glad you like your sonnet, Robin! i totally dislike mine! the nib dries within minutes of laying it around. :(

I have several Sonnets, and only one that didn't write well. I replaced the feed. The feed had fins without gaps, or with plastic flange between fins, where it didn't belong. With the replacement feed the pen writes perfectly. It reminds me of a Pelikan medium in the way it writes, but I like the Sonnet's looks better. Special edition with blue cap, silver plated barrel and silvery trim. The gold and steel nibs are both excellent on every Sonnet I have.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I love my Sonnet, in that incredible metallic red that just pops out on you. It is a decent writer too - the workhorse pen of the Parker stable for the past decades.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

• 1 month later...

If one had a choice between Faber Castell E motion and a red Sonnet with steel nib, which one?

I have the same pen, and love it. Unfortunately a drug rep came to the office and I reflexively handed her my pen for a signature, and she sprung the nib! I won't be making that mistake again! I replaced it with an EF gold nib and it's exactly what the nurse ordered!

I've had one Sonnet which had the gold M nib. It was a horrid writer. I was bad enough to stop me from ever buying another. Parker does seem to have some problems with consistent quality as I've also gotten some very fine writers from them, particularly Doufolds. Glad you're happy with yours.

He who says he knows but does not act does not yet know.
~ Wang Yangming

When I grow up I want to be just like Calvin.

~ Me

Love the nibs on my Sonnets, but the cap is horribly designed. Doesn't seal airtight and causes the nib to dry out after a few days. Not a problem if you use it everyday, but I have too many in the rotation so the Sonnets never get inked.