Stipula Passporto

dozuki

This little stipula is cute little pen. post-35319-0-23427500-1371601645_thumb.jpg. I put it next to my lamy so you can see the difference in size. Being a small pen it is very light. It is an eye drop filler or the little cartridge pen. It looks like it would be to small to write with comfortably but if you look closely you can see that the cap can be posted. post-35319-0-21961500-1371601912_thumb.jpg. So it is pretty comfortable in the hand when you post the cap. The box says the nib is a medium but it looks more like a fine. post-35319-0-53685800-1371602101_thumb.jpg. It looks good,it feels good and is just so cute. Unfortunately I can't get the damn thing to write. I was all excited got home broke out the good ink, fahrney's plum. I filled the reservoir,which holds a good amount of ink. I ran it over good paper, cheap paper and the back of an envelope and got nothing. I even resorted to running some water over the nib to get the ink flowing and again I get nothing. So let it sit nib down for an hour and now if I apply a good amount of pressure I can draw a straight line but no actual writing. So unless anyone has an idea to fix it this little baby it will be going back.

The pen is mightier than the sword unless someone stabs you with the sword.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dozuki

• betsypreston

• mbankirer

• nomadhacker

Brand new? Perhaps it needed to be flushed with water first, to get any oils or what not that the mfg process can leave on the feed.

I've had some hard starting pens. Not aware that stipula was prone to that.

Did you fill it like an eyedropper?

Did you flush the pen first?

These are not very expensive pens, as Stipula goes, and the might still have production-debris left.

Also Stipula sets thes nibs very tight, for heavyhanded ballpoint users.

I have two that both needed a bit nib fiddling.

Yours looks awfully tight in the tines...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I am ashamed to say that I forgot to flush the pen. As a punishment I will use a cheap ballpoint at work. I will also drain it and give it a good flush. RMN- Your right the tines are very tight. I think the pen store has someone who can give the pen a tweak.

The pen is mightier than the sword unless someone stabs you with the sword.

I had to pull and re-set the nib and feed on mine...but now it is WONDERFUL! I have it filled as an eye-dropper. No matter how long it has been sitting, it starts right up.

I've got two Passaportos. Both of them needed a thorough cleaning and some nib work. Both of them, it was not just oils or residue in the feed from manufacture, but they had bits of plastic inside from the machining process. Very disappointing.

Once I got them cleaned out (had to send the second one back to Stipula, as the plastic leftovers had jammed the feed such that I could not remove it to clean it) and adjusted the tines, they both write wonderfully. Really a great little pen design.

That said, I would not buy another one -- certainly not new. Unless someone had gone and done the work of fixing the nib that ought to have been correct from the factory before I bought it.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

My first passporto writes like dream. Love it. Great pen. Recommended it to several people.

My next two wouldn't write. I flushed. And I flushed again. And I flushed with soapy water. And I tried several different inks, including Tanzanize. No dice.

Finally I gave up and sent them back. My personal policy is that Pens. Should. Work. And if they don't, I was ripped off. I should not HAVE to fiddle with a pen or get it tuned to work. No more than I would expect to have to re-wire a new toaster.

My fourth passaporto did not have a threaded back, so the cap wobbles on it and constantly threatens to fly off and be lost.

That's pretty much it for me and any more passaportos. I'm keepin' the one I love, but Stipula can find someone else to dupe the next time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

If the pen isn't fixed by cleaning, see if you can ask your dealer to order in a replacement nib unit and see if that helps. You appear to have a first-generation type Passaporto, but they use the same nib units. If I recall correctly, Stipula changed the feed they were using for the Passaporto, and the new ones have a better feed. Mine has a new feed with two channels, and flow is very good, especially since I have a custom 1.1 mm italic nib installed that was ground from a BB nib. Most all the new ones I have seen seem to use the new two-channel feed.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 1 month later...

I also had one of these pens. Nothing helped make it write. Mine was one of the versions without the threads allowing it to post. Hands down the most frustrating pen purchase I've ever made. Back it went. Never will another Stipula land on my desk. Life is too short to be dealing with shoddy quality.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"