Parker 180 Quick Review

rochester21

I was intrigued by some of the more unusual nib designs from parker, such as the parker 180 and the falcon(review coming up). This time around we have the parker 180 for a closer inspection and review. For your delight and annoyance, the pictures are full size(click on them).

Design and construction 4/5. I`il start with the strong points of the 180: it`s a well built pen. Mine has obvious marks indicating some heavy use, but the blue-black lacquer is intact(although scratched) and the cap is still tight, closes with a nice click. The clip is less rigid than on other parker designs, has some spring to it, which makes it practical. It`s a overall metal construction, with metalic threads on the section and a cap ornament which reminds of the parker 75 design.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ro2j2c.jpg

What i don`t like about it: the plastic grip on the section is nice, but still slippery, and the nib....well, it looks like the end of a spear, not too pretty to look at. It is a slender pen, which some people might find uncomfortable, but it has a good balance uncapped(barrel is a bit heavy). The bad part is that although the cap clicks into the barrel when posted, it wobbles and spins around, so it`s not really secure. For such a small pen, it has some heft to it- i would say medium weight. 13.2 cm closed, 0.8 cm wide.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2mx1gdx.jpg

Nib and writing 3.5/5. Now, to the interesting part. The spear-like nib on my pen has two width-sizes- broad and medium. The broad side is as smooth as you would expect(and really broad). The other side, though, was not as smooth. I had to use a bit of micro mesh to smooth it out a bit. Now it`s decent, but not great. Ink flow was perfect from the start. The former owner of the pen told me that it was a long time since it was last used, and it was dirty and full of dried ink. Amazingly though, after i gave it a good wash with soap(without flushing it) i filled it with water and started writing right away, with the old, now liquefied ink still inside. No skipping what so ever.

http://i40.tinypic.com/n12hyo.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2yjuelv.jpg

Final considerations and price 4.5/5. The parker 180 takes standard parker cartridges and converters- the converter that came with the pen was broken, but it works just fine with cartridges. It`s has a interesting nib design, and at least one of the sides is smooth, if not both. Can be a good compromise for a person wanting to use one pen and wants two nib sizes. I`m personally satisfied with my purchase, giving the fact that it was 12 dollars.

Edited by rochester21

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rochester21

• RuiFromUK

• richardandtracy

• RMN

As an extra to this review:

Grandmia did a videoreview of the differences betwee the 180 and the classic.

See this topic:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/247026-parker-180-parker-classic-fountain-pen-comparison/

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Ah, thank you very much- didn`t see that video review- actually i did, because there was a SEPARATE POST about this just the other day.

But you can be sure that next time you write a review, i will post a link to one of my reviews, see how well it goes.

Edited by rochester21

Both the Falcon 50 and the 180 are Parker Flighters I'd like to get. This review is useful in helping me decide which to get first. The small diameter rather edges me away from the 180 as the earlier pen. I do, however like the idea of having a broad nib available for highlighting without needing another pen.

Thanks for the review.

Regards,

Richard.

• 2 weeks later...

I quite like the look of the 180, but the nib is... unique to say the least! :huh:

Edited by cambookpro

Parker 75, Ingenuity, Premier, Sonnet, Urban | Pelikan M400 | TWSBI Diamond 580 | Visconti Rembrandt

Currently inked: Diamine Apple Glory (Rembrandt), Pelikan 4001 Turquoise (M400), Lamy Black (Diamond 580)

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that my Parker 180 has a blockage as I forgot to empty it last time I used it (a couple of decades ago I think). I have tried to put water through it but it is not coming through so I suspect there is a blockage.

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the nib of this pen in order to clean the nib / feed?

Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Rui

Edited by RuiFromUK

Kind regards,

Rui

I like my 180. But part of it might simply be nostalgia. I used it for many years in college, along with a 75 (both Flighters)

The F side of a F/B tip is a bit scratchy, the B side is nice and smooth. I would guess that the XF side of the XF/M tip would be even more scratchy. These tips benefit from SMOOTH paper to reduce the scratchiness. In fact smoothness is my primary consideration when looking at paper.

I have small fingers, so I like the smaller profile of the 180.

It is similar in size to a Cross Century and a standard #2 pencil.

@Richard

Which one to get first would depend on, are you a collector or a user?

If a collector, get the 50/Falcon. I think that is harder to find.

If a user, get the 180, as it is easier to find.

Another alternative to the 180 is the CLASSIC. This is essentially the body (barrel, cap, and section) of a 180 with a different feed/nib that only has one tip size. Although you can flip the CLASSIC, and the M tip will write with a finer line, so it behaves like a 180.

@Rui

I think 20 years would result in DRY ink encrusting the feed.

Yes you can remove the nib/feed combo.

But it can be in there pretty tight. And if there is DRY ink around the feed, that will make removal even harder.

You need to be VERY careful as the narrow part of the feed is indeed narrow, from memory I think it is only about 1/16 of an inch in diameter (not 2mm). So it won't take much force to damage it.

Unless you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, my suggestion would be repeated soakings and rinses in water. You need to dissolve the dry ink and wash it away to get at more dry ink to dissolve, and the process keeps repeating till you get through. If you have a bulb syringe, that works great to force water thru a feed, if it is not completely blocked.

You can find rather inexpensive ultrasonic cleaners on eBay. The one that I use is made for cleaning dentures. I don't use the powerful commercial units, although I would like to have one to clean the grease and gunk off my model trains.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hi Rare,

Thank you very much.

I have put the pen soaking since yesterday.

Let's see tonight and probably put it to soak some more for the next few days.

Kind regards,

Rui

Kind regards,

Rui