#31 ishameek

ishameek

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:32

I've found that for small packages with a value of <$100, I usually dont get charged customs.   I've never been charged customs for any of the Chinese pens I've bought.   So you should be ok, I reckon.

thanks. Very important information.

It's a good deal cheaper to buy the TWSBI 580 from some UK suppliers with shipping costs than to buy from Pensavenue in Mumbai. :(

Yes. Actually I was searchin J.Herbin site for any online retailer near India; but I was surprised to see India in the list . Then I found diamine in pensavenue ; well it's a ink nirban||mukti for Indian FP nuts :D . Really facinated by the TWSBI brand Indian pen manufacturer must take a hint and go for quality instead quantity . Here in West Bengal kids are no longer using fps for first pened letters , really sad to see, 

#32 brahmam

brahmam

A cosmic wanderer!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:23

Ish:

The one exception is Camlin SD. It seems to be a good quality pen. I own a couple and have purchased several for my friends and they all love it. For a colleague of mine, I purchased a maroon SD and fitted it with Waterman twist converter (of course, he paid). BTW, I heard that the price of Camlin SD has been increased from Rs. 600 to Rs. 900. Wish they keep the price at 600 so that more could afford. If SD comes with a demonstrator, wow! that would be super.

Incidentally, what is your opinion about TWSBI? Is it worth it?

If you live in Kolkata, would you get a chance to call Dr. PK Dutt regarding Sulekha inks? They seem to have some swell colours!!!

Talking of kids, my 11 year old son is fascinated with fountain pens - but the fellow keeps losing stuff so that best I have gotten for him is a Gama from my good friend Prathap Chetty of GEM pens. The picture you see in my profile is my son's when he was barely two years old (9 years ago) - the little rat has a keen dress sense, unlike me!

Cheers!

"Chennai Living" Brahmam.

thanks. Very important information.

Yes. Actually I was searchin J.Herbin site for any online retailer near India; but I was surprised to see India in the list . Then I found diamine in pensavenue ; well it's a ink nirban||mukti for Indian FP nuts :D . Really facinated by the TWSBI brand Indian pen manufacturer must take a hint and go for quality instead quantity . Here in West Bengal kids are no longer using fps for first pened letters , really sad to see, 

Edited by brahmam, 28 June 2013 - 04:32.

Oh! my dear, dear Free-will!
Tell me really, "Will I ever be free?"
Allow me until my body becomes still,
To sacrifice as a still standing tree!
- Just another tumble weed!

#33 soum

soum

Anecdotic traveller

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:15

Sulekha has a little store close to their office in Kolkata selling all their products including ink. I'd pestered my Dad to drop by and check the inks first hand. He happened to be around in the area recently. But unfortunately, it was afternoon and the shop was closed, presumably for lunch.

I'll let you guys know if I get any more information.

#34 brahmam

brahmam

A cosmic wanderer!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:32

Pens Avenue = Pensavenue = Pen save nue = Pen + Save + Nue = Save + Neu + Pen = Save on New Pen

Edited by brahmam, 28 June 2013 - 08:36.

#35 soum

soum

Anecdotic traveller

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:13

Pens Avenue = Pensavenue = Pen save nue = Pen + Save + Nue = Save + Neu + Pen = Save on New Pen

:lticaptd:  :lol:   :lticaptd:

#36 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 16:25

Sulekha has a little store close to their office in Kolkata selling all their products including ink. 

Do you know where this is?  I am flying through Kolkata next week and will have a day or two in town.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

#37 soum

soum

Anecdotic traveller

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2013 - 16:52

Do you know where this is?  I am flying through Kolkata next week and will have a day or two in town.

I'll PM you with the exact location tomorrow. I'll have to ask.

#38 ishameek

ishameek

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2013 - 17:09

Ish:

The one exception is Camlin SD. It seems to be a good quality pen. I own a couple and have purchased several for my friends and they all love it. For a colleague of mine, I purchased a maroon SD and fitted it with Waterman twist converter (of course, he paid). BTW, I heard that the price of Camlin SD has been increased from Rs. 600 to Rs. 900. Wish they keep the price at 600 so that more could afford. If SD comes with a demonstrator, wow! that would be super.

Incidentally, what is your opinion about TWSBI? Is it worth it?

If you live in Kolkata, would you get a chance to call Dr. PK Dutt regarding Sulekha inks? They seem to have some swell colours!!!

Talking of kids, my 11 year old son is fascinated with fountain pens - but the fellow keeps losing stuff so that best I have gotten for him is a Gama from my good friend Prathap Chetty of GEM pens. The picture you see in my profile is my son's when he was barely two years old (9 years ago) - the little rat has a keen dress sense, unlike me!

Cheers!

"Chennai Living" Brahmam.

Brahmam, Yes I bought The camlin sd from stationarynew for 899/-, do not own TWSBI my opinion is based on the review provided in this forum and how company surveyed consumer base for pen manufacturing . And SD fountain pen stands out for the balance , love it. UGC NET this sunday , so I'm pretending to study. This monday I'll go personally to jadavpur and check the factory out.

Regards,

Shameek   

Sulekha has a little store close to their office in Kolkata selling all their products including ink. I'd pestered my Dad to drop by and check the inks first hand. He happened to be around in the area recently. But unfortunately, it was afternoon and the shop was closed, presumably for lunch.

I'll let you guys know if I get any more information.

Good Keep us posted.

Attached Images

• Untitled.jpg

#39 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,633 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2013 - 17:25

perchance would you be passing through Pt Purushottam Ray Street, Burrabazar when in Kolkata?

#40 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• 1,073 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:04

perchance would you be passing through Pt Purushottam Ray Street, Burrabazar when in Kolkata?

I wasnt planning on it - but I'll be in Park Street area and may be able to swing by, if the weather holds up (was planning on going to College St and if I am not mistaken, Burrabazar isnt that much further).   PM me if you need me to check or pick something - happy to do so.

#41 harrietthespy

harrietthespy

All my flags are red, white and blue/blauw/bleu

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:35

Hello,

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have been enjoying the banter and good information you kindly share with one another about pen resources in India. I will be travelling to Bangalore in late July and would love to visit some pen shops. I have several pens from India and love them.  I was wondering if you could share some ideas as to where I should go? This is my first trip to India and I am very excited!

Heather

#42 soum

soum

Anecdotic traveller

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:06

Hello,

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have been enjoying the banter and good information you kindly share with one another about pen resources in India. I will be travelling to Bangalore in late July and would love to visit some pen shops. I have several pens from India and love them.  I was wondering if you could share some ideas as to where I should go? This is my first trip to India and I am very excited!

Heather

William Penn has a few stores in Bangalore, but they don't stock any Indian fountain pens. Their collection includes the usual international brands.

Our favourite local pen haunts in Bangalore happen to be along a crowded street named Avenue Road. Though it'll reward you with a fine haul of pens, I'm afraid navigating around the street may be a bit of a challenge for a first-time visitor.

Most neighbourhoods have stationery shops, usually small ones, that stock some Indian pens, notably Camlin, and some of the inks from Bril, Chelpark and Camlin.

Welcome to India, and I hope you have a good stay in Bangalore. Please PM me if you've any queries about the city, I'll be happy to help.

Edited by soum, 30 June 2013 - 17:07.

#43 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• 1,073 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 13:11

And I'll add that if you are coming from Netherlands, Dennis @ La Couronne de Comte probably has better prices on most things than William Penn, who seem to be carrying fewer and fewer fountain pens these days.   

Although if you do find something you like at William Penn, try to get a 10% discount - they usually are amenable to that.

Another option - you can email Ranga and perhaps have him make some pens for you, and deliver them to your hotel.   I usually supply him with Jowo nibs + feeds, and have him put it into his bodies, and have some really nice pens from him as a result.  

#44 theadityajain

theadityajain

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2013 - 13:58

And I'll add that if you are coming from Netherlands, Dennis @ La Couronne de Comte probably has better prices on most things than William Penn, who seem to be carrying fewer and fewer fountain pens these days.   

Although if you do find something you like at William Penn, try to get a 10% discount - they usually are amenable to that.

Another option - you can email Ranga and perhaps have him make some pens for you, and deliver them to your hotel.   I usually supply him with Jowo nibs + feeds, and have him put it into his bodies, and have some really nice pens from him as a result.  

I am looking for Ranga Model 3. Where in India can I get Jowo nibs and feed

Edited by theadityajain, 02 July 2013 - 14:02.

#45 brahmam

brahmam

A cosmic wanderer!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2013 - 15:51

What are Jowo nibs in the first place?

#46 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,633 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2013 - 16:21

:W2FPN:

#47 brahmam

brahmam

A cosmic wanderer!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:36

:W2FPN:

Hari.... whom are you welcoming????

Edited by brahmam, 03 July 2013 - 05:36.

#48 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• 1,073 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:31

Aditya-  you'll have to buy the nib+feeds from the US.  They arent available in India, AFAIK.

#49 terim

terim

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,154 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 14:48

We offer A few Ranga models with JoWo nibs, are we get ours from Meisternibs.com. 

Teri

Teri Morris

Visit the Peyton Street Pens web site.

Sign-up for our newsletter. We only send it out a few times a year, and there's usually a coupon that you can use to save a few dollars on your next order.

Visit our blog .... we try to provide interesting info for the collector and pen user.

We list new pens on the web site daily ....here's a link to the very latest additions.

#50 Simius

Simius

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:04

Try Meisternibs or Franklin-Christoph. Both will ship to India. I've bought from both, and the nibs work well with Ranga pens.

BTW, if you're going for converters, be careful, two of my custom-made ranga pens leak very slightly in the area where the converter plugs in. I'm thinking of turning them into eye dropper pens but am not sure if the JoWo nibs burp ink at low levels.

Edited by Simius, 05 July 2013 - 06:05.

#51 nutsaboutinkpens

nutsaboutinkpens

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:16

Greetings Friends,

I really need your expert advice and kind assistance. I have been looking for good quality ink pens to buy on line but I am not really sure which one to buy. And the second thing is that I don't know any good place and shops to buy it from. Can you help me out? I need some ideas and addresses of reliable shops, if you can give them to me.

I will be grateful to you!

nutsaboutinkpens :-)

#52 brahmam

brahmam

A cosmic wanderer!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:27

Where could I get Jowo nibs and feed in India? Thanks.

#53 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,633 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:24

Where could I get Jowo nibs and feed in India? Thanks.

How many do you want?

#54 theadityajain

theadityajain

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:41

How many do you want?

I too want them.

Is it JoWo nib & feed or JoWo nib with Schmidt feed.

#55 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,633 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:45

I too want them.

Is it JoWo nib & feed or JoWo nib with Schmidt feed.

huh?

#56 brahmam

brahmam

A cosmic wanderer!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:55

huh?

How many do you want?

Just one pair -a  nib and a feed. That's all.

Thanks

#57 brahmam

brahmam

A cosmic wanderer!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:27

Check this out: http://www.penassociation.com/

#58 harrietthespy

harrietthespy

All my flags are red, white and blue/blauw/bleu

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:53

I tried to message mpkandan via the forum and it stated that he cannot receive messages. What is the best way to reach Ranga? Thank you!

#59 Mesu

Mesu

Searching for the perfect blue ink..

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 14:03

I tried to message mpkandan via the forum and it stated that he cannot receive messages. What is the best way to reach Ranga? Thank you!

He sells on ebay. Link to his store: http://myworld.ebay....=p2047675.l2559

Edited by Mesu, 23 July 2013 - 14:06.

#60 makoba

makoba

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:46

Dear Mr. Brahmam,

Greetings from Makoba.com

Thank you for your appreciation about us. We would love to serve you again sometime.

Dear everyone,

P.s - People who all are looking for good quality paper can visit our store in Chennai or our online store www.makoba.com.

http://www.makoba.co...s-notepads-more

Thank you

Makoba.com

Info@makoba.com