Twsbi Mini With Flex Nib

andymcc

When I got my TWSBI Mini last year it had a problem with the nib, TWSBI were great and sent a new one out to me which worked perfectly, since getting the pen working it has been inked and in constant use. I was left with a spare, faulty nib and the other day was wondering what to do with it, the only complaint I have about my Mini is that the nib is very hard, I don't want flex in all my nibs but I like a little softness when they touch the paper.

After seeing the ease my flex mod for the Ahab pen I thought that maybe I could do something similar to my faulty TWSBI nib. I read online that the Mini nib unit was friction fit but that the fit was very tight and taking it apart was not recommended, as the nib was faulty anyway I thought I'd have a go. It took ages and lots of pulling and twisting before I got the nib and feed out. As I was looking at the nib wondering how to shape it I realised the nib was a very similar size to the FPR flex nib, I took the FPR nib out of another pen and compared it to the TWSBI, they matched almost exactly :yikes:

Being the lazy guy I am and wanting to save some time messing about with the TWSBI nib I tried fitting the FPR nib with the TWSBI feed back into the section, they were a tight fit but no tighter than the TWSBI nib. To my surprise the pen wrote straight away with the FPR nib fitted, there's a little finessing needed to get a good ink flow but this mod is a fairly easy one and gives flex to the TWSBI Mini :D

post-93023-0-55871900-1371242095_thumb.jpg

post-93023-0-05059000-1371242110_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• andymcc

• Lamyrada

• Fabienne

• Finalist

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What does FPR mean and where could one obtain one?

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

FPR is Fountain Pen Revolution you can buy the nibs and pens from them. They sell Indian pens but they've come out with their own pen called the Dilli, they designed a flex nib and a stub nib that you can use with most of the pens they sell.

• 1 year later...

I dont see any flex on the writing sample.

The vertical lines in the first picture show the flex, as the writing sample says "not a complete success :( " there wasn't much flex and the feed couldn't keep up with anything beyond regular writing.

I tried this over a year ago and gave up on the idea, my Mini now has either the stock EF or 1.5mm nib fitted. The FPR nib would possibly work with a bit more messing about and the feed would need modifying to allow more ink flow but I couldn't be bothered trying it and moved onto to other projects.

Edited by andymcc

I have the 1.1 stock stub, could you please post a sample of the 1.5? That should be something else. Mine works fine and emoulates flex in the customary way of stubs.

I have an FPR nib and they are fairly stiff compared to flex nibs. You should add the Ease My Flex (search emf grind) to the FPR nib. The main problem is the FOR nib has a difficult time transitioning smoothly and gracefully between thin and thick.

I have the 1.1 stock stub, could you please post a sample of the 1.5? That should be something else. Mine works fine and emoulates flex in the customary way of stubs.

I don't have any pictures of writing samples of the 1.5mm nib and my Mini isn't inked at the minute but the Goulet's site has a great comparison of all the TWSBI Mini nibs :)

http://www.gouletpens.com/Nib_Nook_s/1114.htm

It doesn't look like there's a great deal of difference between the 1.1. and 1.5 nibs.

I have an FPR nib and they are fairly stiff compared to flex nibs. You should add the Ease My Flex (search emf grind) to the FPR nib. The main problem is the FOR nib has a difficult time transitioning smoothly and gracefully between thin and thick.

The ease my flex modification would probably help the FPR nib although the FPR nib is smaller than the Noodler's nib so it would be a bit more fiddly to do. The big problem with flex and the Mini is the feed, it just can't cope with any flexing(or mine can't anyway).

My Mini doesn't get much use now and I have other flex pens that do the job better so my enthusiasm for this project is long gone :unsure: I still like the Mini but the problems with a cracking cap and faulty nib have made me view it differently, it feels a fragile pen to me now, my Micarta by comparison feels like a tank and gets much more use :D