Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Noodler's Pen Smell

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 papabear16

papabear16

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 15:18

I have a Noodler's Konrad I purchased from Goulet. When I first recieved it, it smelled so strongly that I couldn't use it. As advertised, the smell reduced dramatically over time, and now it wouldn't bother me. But still, if I use the pen for a few minutes, my hand gets a little tingly/itchy. I suspect I'm actually allergic to it, in a way. (This doesn't surprise me. There are a few other products that do this to me.)

My question is this: Are all Noodler's pens made of the same material? I'd really like a flex pen to play with, and see Ahabs pretty cheap. But if I'd have the same reaction, I should pass, regardless of the value.

Thoughts?

Girls say they want a guy with serious ink, but then pretend to be bored when I show off all my fancy fountain pens. ~ Jason Gelles

#2 ddustinn

ddustinn

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2013 - 15:24

The Ahab, Konrad, and Creaper are all made of the same material. You can get a Konrad in acrylic or ebonite, though they're twice as much. I really like my ebonite Konrad.
"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."
- St. Francis of Assisi
"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."
-Miles Davis
I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

#3 papabear16

papabear16

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 15:29

So neither the acrylic nor ebonite Konrads have that smell? That may be the way for me to go, then. Too bad they don't make Ahabs of either material ... yet.

Girls say they want a guy with serious ink, but then pretend to be bored when I show off all my fancy fountain pens. ~ Jason Gelles

#4 ddustinn

ddustinn

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2013 - 16:38

So neither the acrylic nor ebonite Konrads have that smell? That may be the way for me to go, then. Too bad they don't make Ahabs of either material ... yet.

I can't speak for the acrylic Konrads, but the ebonite Konrads just smell like ebonite. It's kind of a hard smell to describe, but it's really only noticeable if you hold it right up to your nose. It's not nearly as strong or offensive as the plastic Konrads.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."
- St. Francis of Assisi
"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."
-Miles Davis
I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

#5 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,075 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2013 - 16:56

People keep talking about the smell of the Noodler's resin pens.  But I have never noticed it, particularly.  Which is weird because I'm the one my mother used to have smell the leftover meat to see if it was still good or not. 

Right now I have a Konrad clipped to my shirt collar.  Admittedly, I've had it for a few weeks, but I don't remember any of them (several Konrads and 2 Creapers) smelling overly bad when I first got them (and I've read several threads on this topic, so I checked when I first got them).

I guess it's not an odor I'm sensitive to.  Everyone's different though (for example, my husband is a super-taster when it comes to metal and absolutely will *not* drink anything out of a can because the metallic taste comes through so strongly to him) -- so YMMV.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#6 NedC

NedC

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2013 - 17:03

The ebonite will have its own smell. It is natural rubber based so if you have latex allergies too.... Though I would suspect that the vulcanization process should fully denature any of the offending proteins.

#7 paultyler_82

paultyler_82

Mimsy Borogrove

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2013 - 17:31

The ebonite and acrylic Konrads are sort of limited run items that are made every now and then, they're also about twice the price of a plain Konrad, you may have to hunt to find one right now, at least til the next run is made. The Ebonite ones, as others have mentioned, have a different smell, to me, it's sort of like the smell of new tires, just not as intense and with a bit of sulphur to it. The acrylics don't really smell much at all. All of the base Noodlers pens are made out of what is called 'vegetal resin' which I suspect is some form of or similar to cellulose acetate... smells similar to some old Kodak films I've got, just not as vinegar-y.

I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good. - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

#8 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2013 - 20:12

The ebonite models' ink windows are still made from the vegetal resin, so that portion will still have the smell, but otherwise it'll be the familiar hard rubber smell. Not sure if the ink windows in the acrylic models are acrylic or the smelly resin. I suspect the latter based on economies of scale.

#9 Heliotrope

Heliotrope

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2013 - 22:59

I have an acrylic Konrad, and it never had the smell that the resin Konrad's all had when I took them out of the box for the first time.  It is just like any other acrylic pen.  I don't really use the resin Konrad's much because even though the obvious odor has faded, my hand still smells funny after I have used those pens.  I was glad to get the acrylic model because I quite like the Konrad.  I wish the acrylic version was more readily available.

#10 MartDL

MartDL

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:50

I also have never had any problems with the smell of Noodlers vegetal resin. I can smell it, if I try really hard (weird, or what!) but I don't find it objectionable. I'm afraid I can't help with the matter of skin allergy though.

As for Ebonite general though, I totally adore it. Ebonite Konrads do cost more, but then there's that lovely ebonite to consider. I'm afraid, even so, that it's a bit hypothetical in my case though because having had the pleasant initial joy of playing about with Noodlers pens (and learning an awful lot) I can't say I like them very much. So, as much as I love ebonite, personally I wouldn't shell out the money in this case. But it could be entirely different for you, if you love the pen. Ebonite is brilliant. Well - I think it is anyway.  :lol:

#11 TSherbs

TSherbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 991 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:35

I love the resin smell! I smell my Konrad's every time I use them. But I don't have any allergies to them, as the OP seems to have. That's a bummer. 

#12 MartDL

MartDL

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:43

You smell then every time you use them?  :yikes:

Definitely not an allergy. I think it's called an addiction  :D

#13 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:07

I would like to back up the OP here. I bought a Konrad rollerball about two years ago and it just sits in a drawer in my garage because it has a nasty stench- it's not as bad as it used to be, but its still there. And no, I do not have an overly strong sense of smell. Hope this is helpful

Edited by cellmatrix, 14 June 2013 - 12:20.

#14 MartDL

MartDL

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:19

My apologies if I seemed to be taking it lightly. It wasn't intended.

I know that large numbers of people find the smell of Noodlers vegetal resin to be both strong and unpleasant. as I don't seem to mind it, or even notice it, much myself, I wonder if it's one of things, which is very common, where different people are sensitive to different type of smell.

If that is the case, then I imagine that it's likely just the same with things like allergies.

I hope you find a pen that suits you

Martin

#15 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:28

some people enjoy strong musk cologne whereas other people are very annoyed by it. I guess that's the interesting thing about us, everyone is a bit different in their perceptions.

Edited by cellmatrix, 14 June 2013 - 12:30.

#16 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 13:04

I don't mind the smell, and never found it overly strong anyway. I like the nature of the plastic.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#17 joly1

joly1

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 13:16

I  have been owning a Ahab noodler's for two years now,I carry it every day in my shirt pocket,it has smelled a long time,which did not disturb me so much,but now I can tell that the smell has totally vanished ,may be a slight hint withe the nose on the pen,but nothing more,it seems just a question of patience.

#18 CAG_1787

CAG_1787

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 13:39

My smelled noxious at first. I even put it in a bag of baking soda in the refrigerator for a week, but it still smells. I use it occasionally, but not nearly as much as I would if it didn't cause me to wrinkle my nose every time I picked it up.

“You cultivate the essential virtues: high purpose, intelligence, decency, humility, fear of the Lord, and the passion for freedom.” - William F. Buckley, Jr.

#19 papabear16

papabear16

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 13:44

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't care for the smell at first, but it's diminished enough that I don't really mind. But the tingling still happens, and that's a big bummer. I like then pen well enough. So I may soak it a bit and see if that gets better. I don't have many skin allergies—and I don't think latex is one—but something there is bugging me, it seems.

Thankfully, I have found many other pens I really enjoy. My wife can certainly attest that I have no difficulty acquiring pens I can use.  :) 

#20 torstar

torstar

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 14:09

Loop dental floss through the clip and submerge the pen overnight in a bottle of shampoo.

The stench should disappear after 7 treatments at most.

#21 papabear16

papabear16

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 14:13

I've never heard that one. I may give it a shot. Does the type of shampoo matter?

#22 torstar

torstar

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 14:20

Used some cheap stuff.

The stench didn't seem to contaminate the shampoo.

#23 Niberator

Niberator

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 16:30

I've got a Konrad on order. Will be interesting to see what all the fuss is about!