The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

2012 Lamy2000 M Vs Lamy Edition2000

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 19:11

Thanks to a generous tip off by bphollin backchannel on FPGeeks, I was recently able to acquire the coveted Lamy limited Edition 2000 at a superb price. I already had the 2000M that released in 2012. The differences though subtle, were remarkable so I thought it fit to document them with the aid of some pictures.

For detailed information about the Lamy2000 and its evolution variants etc, pls refer to bphollin's excellent article posted both here on FPN and in the Lamy forum of FP geeks.  

IMG_8590.jpg  

The Edition 2000 has a deeper brushed finish and the color is brighter. IMG_8594.jpg   IMG_8595.jpg  

Cap top finishing:   IMG_8599.jpg   IMG_8600.jpg  

notice the rougher clip top finish on the edition 2000, very lovely in fact. IMG_8602.jpg  

The cap lip chamfer is severe on the edition 2000, yields a nice tactile experience when you run your thumb ball across it. IMG_8603.jpg  

Finally the pens opened: IMG_8604.jpg  

The makrolon bit in the Edition 2000 breaks the monotony and I much prefer its looks over the 2000M.  

The other major differences are in the dry weight of the pens. The Edition 2000 is lighter at 43.3gms and the 2000M is a whopping 54.12gms.  

2000M:

• Total:54.12gms
  • Cap:19.68gms
  • Pen without cap: 34.46gms  

Edition 2000:

• Total:43.3gms
  • Cap:18.26gms
  • Pen without cap: 25.12gms  

The 2000M's filling knob feels mushy, I discovered the reason why, the knob has a lot of radial slop as it threads into the barrel, this slop is much lesser on the Edition 2000 and the regular polycarbonate 2000s. I have no idea about why there is additional clearance on the new model.  

Also the complexities of manufacturing a metal jacketed non cylindrical pen. Given the manufacturing expertise and experience of Lamy, I strongly feel that the overlays are deep drawn rather than machined from rod stock.   

I hope this comparison review helps.  

Cheers!

Hari        

Edited by hari317, 03 June 2013 - 16:46.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sponsored Content

#2 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 19:34

Thank you for the clear analysis of the differences between the two pens.

I much prefer the unbroken line of the 2000M without the Makrolon insert, but that is simply a matter of individual taste.

gary

#3 Namo

Namo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,462 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 20:07

Thanks, Hari. Very nice head-to-head review.

Actually, at the time I was about to go for the 2000m, I had the opportunity to buy the Edition 2000 for a very fair price. I didn't. I like the design of the 2Km better. And having the pen in the flesh, I still think it's a better design. One of the most beautiful pen ever built IMHO. And I kown it's very understated, unluxury looking, but still. What a pen!

amonjak.com

cropped-amonjak-partie-4-de-4_page_4-modifiee1.jpg  

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

#4 suits123

suits123

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:58

Is this something that is coming out or has already come out and is hard to find?

Edit: answered my own question.

Edited by suits123, 03 June 2013 - 04:40.

Captain Kirk is the man and I don't want to hear another word about it! borg.gif

#5 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 16:40

Thank you Gary, Namo.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#6 Anitropius

Anitropius

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 22:06

Great comparison! I love the 2K, and some day one of these metal pens will find their way in to my hands; I think that it will be the 2000m though, as a previous poster stated it, the absolutely clean line fits the design more.

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:20

thank you!

#8 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,401 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:06

I have a 2000m and considering how much I love my (multiple) 2000s, it really surprised me how charmless a pen it seemed. Nothing specific, but just little things seemed off.

Reading your review really highlighted for me why I have not fallen for this pen - tiny changes, but they make the 2000m far less appealing than the Edition 2000. 

Too many pens; too little writing.

#9 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:41

I have a 2000m and considering how much I love my (multiple) 2000s, it really surprised me how charmless a pen it seemed. Nothing specific, but just little things seemed off.

Reading your review really highlighted for me why I have not fallen for this pen - tiny changes, but they make the 2000m far less appealing than the Edition 2000. 

I was lucky, the Edition 2000 fell into my lap, I could never have afforded what most people ask for the pen nowadays.

#10 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2013 - 23:37

waw you've good eyes!now that you show the external differences i see them but i think i'd never had seen them withouth you

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#11 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 16:41

waw you've good eyes!now that you show the external differences i see them but i think i'd never had seen them withouth you

thanks! I am glad I could show the differences since I was curious about the same too before I had both pens.

#12 pankaj

pankaj

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:58

Excellent photographs as usual, Hari. Whenever I see your pen pics, I lose sight of the other tech details. Of course, your tech details are no less inviting. Great job. BTW, the back drop is historically consistent, which is equally appreciated :lol:

#13 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2013 - 17:31

Thanks and nice to hear from you Pankaj, after a long gap.

Yeah that mat is now my trade mark. lol.

#14 harrisparkamit

harrisparkamit

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:45

Thanks for detailed comparison, I am also looking for a 2000M at a reasonable price with Broad NIB,

if you find any please informed me on my below email

amitcshah_cpa@yahoo.com.au

Thanks,

Amit Shah

#15 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:36

Thanks for detailed comparison, I am also looking for a 2000M at a reasonable price with Broad NIB,

Hi Amit, have a look at http://www.martiniauctions.com/

#16 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2013 - 18:53

Very nice comparison! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I so wanted an Edition 2000 but could never come across one that I could affort. I did end up with a 2000m and love it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#17 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2013 - 19:30

Very nice comparison! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I so wanted an Edition 2000 but could never come across one that I could affort. I did end up with a 2000m and love it!

Thanks Perry, Thanks to Brandon, I picked my example up for a song.

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

#18 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2013 - 16:29

Wow you really did get it for a great price! I was wondering if the value/price of the Edition 2000s would fall after the 2000m was issued.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#19 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,846 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2013 - 16:40

Wow you really did get it for a great price! I was wondering if the value/price of the Edition 2000s would fall after the 2000m was issued.

I think the pen was simply not described adequately, I had bid much more than what the auction ended at. Prices seem to be steady for the Edition 2000 as listed on the sites that know.

#20 WDP4BAAZ

WDP4BAAZ

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:47

Immaculate review and pictures as usual from u Sir ..

I am speechless ..

A sincere request from me to post some pictures covering all fountain pens from your ultimate collection (Indian & foreign make).

I hope to see them soon ..

Your true fan ,

WDP4 BAAZ

Sponsored Content

|