The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Faber-Castell Basic Broad Nib

faber-castell basic

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2013 - 21:07

basic1_zpsb43b1904.jpg

basic2_zps99b84d6c.jpg

basic3_zpseb5f0794.jpg

Oh, you say you want to see it, too? OK!

photo_zps536adaa3.jpg

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 mAnuscript69

mAnuscript69

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:47

Great review, Fabienne. I've just received mine with a broad nib in the carbon fiber finish and it is a great writer for the price.

You are spot on about the weight being concentrated at the back of the pen, throwing the balance way back. I'd like to add that the broad nib isn't the broadest out there (mine is comparable to my broad TWSBI 580).

Also, when flushing the pen I prefer unscrewing the nib unit and flushing it directly to prevent water getting trapped in the grip section. When filling from a bottle, ink tends to get trapped in the grooves of the rubber grip but that can be cleaned out pretty easily. The only annoyance is that ink gets trapped between the nib unit and grip section, which can lead to inky fingers once in awhile. I don't mind it but if you do, you can always fill the converter directly instead.

#3 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:50

hi. i have the one with leather barrel and the balance is just right, even with the cap posted on the back -it just looks too long (weird!). it's become my every day pen.

thx for the review! 

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e7c6ef2ed

$T2eC16N,!zoE9s5nd73zBQf4kcw0N!~~60_57.J

#4 Ecriveur

Ecriveur

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:56

Bear in mind that the carbon fiber Basic is quite a bit lighter than the metal version.

#5 dspeers58

dspeers58

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2013 - 14:34

I got a basic (carbon fiber) to check out the nib, and then bought an Onodoro, which I love. (Not as heavy either).  But the one thing I do not like about the basic is that the rubber has a distinct odor, which I really do not like. It writes beautifully, as long as I do not get too close to the pen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: faber-castell, basic

Sponsored Content

|