Photo

What Do People Say To You When You Whip Out That Pen?

gossip pens people

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

Poll: Common perceptions (355 member(s) have cast votes)

What do people say to you when you get out your FP?

1. "My, that's a weird looking pen." (39 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

2. "That's a cool pen!" (131 votes [27.23%])

Percentage of vote: 27.23%

3. "Is that a fountain pen?" (139 votes [28.90%])

Percentage of vote: 28.90%

4. "Is that a weapon?" (12 votes [2.49%])

Percentage of vote: 2.49%

5. "Can I borrow it?" (28 votes [5.82%])

Percentage of vote: 5.82%

6. "Do you use fountain pens? I do too! (goes off into a monologue)" (15 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

7. "That's a very posh pen." (43 votes [8.94%])

Percentage of vote: 8.94%

8. Other (write them in the posts!) (74 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 apkayle

apkayle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:43

Sadly people ask me,

"Why would you spend so much on a pen?"

My reply: They're cool, here try it.

*1 minute later*

"Oooh...that's smooth."

Then I recommend a Kaigelu, Duke, or Jinhao pen. I converted a couple people to fountain pens this way. Actually, this is how I converted my girlfriend to using (and mercilessly stealing my) fountain pens.

-

random note: Harry Potter fans are very receptive to the idea of having a very personal life-long writing instrument. I think they liken selecting a fountain pen to getting a highly personal wand from Olliver's Wand Shop.

Edited by apkayle, 02 June 2013 - 07:47.

#62 alienette

alienette

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:41

Usually people won't say anything until I've met them a few times. 

Then they notice that I only write with fountain pens or mechanical pencils:

"Do you always use a fountain pen?" followed by the wondering look on there face "Why?" or "Why don't you use a ballpoint?"

If they do say something about the pen on the first time usually I just get a nice comment/compliment on the ink colour I am currently using.

#63 GabrielleDuVent

GabrielleDuVent

The Sylph Scribe of the Unseelie Court, 2nd Class

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:56

Sadly people ask me,

"Why would you spend so much on a pen?"

My reply: They're cool, here try it.

*1 minute later*

"Oooh...that's smooth."

Then I recommend a Kaigelu, Duke, or Jinhao pen. I converted a couple people to fountain pens this way. Actually, this is how I converted my girlfriend to using (and mercilessly stealing my) fountain pens.

-

random note: Harry Potter fans are very receptive to the idea of having a very personal life-long writing instrument. I think they liken selecting a fountain pen to getting a highly personal wand from Olliver's Wand Shop.

Oh, if only we had Ollivander equivalent for pens... 

I also think HP fans just like antiquated equipment, since Harry uses quills. I'd think notetaking would be a chore and ink bottle smashing would be common (I believe Harry splits Cedric's bag and smashes his bottle in Goblet of Fire), but those impracticalities don't really crop up unless one has used it before, such as inky fingers, ink running everywhere, and where is that drying sand?! I knew I had a bag of it...!

I also remember seeing The Chamber of Secrets and noticing that Harry's quill isn't the tipped kind but the kind you use a knife to form the nib, and wondering "... do they teach how to cut quills first thing in Hogwarts?". Apparently, they are terribly difficult to get the right angle, since feathers splinter easily. You'd think they'd make the pupils use the nib-tipped ones. Tsk tsk. 

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié. 

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

#64 regid99

regid99

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:19

In the beginning my colleagues used to say

-Why do you still use this?

-I couldn't use a Fp, I would break it

-It's too expensive...

After some time and explanations, they find it normal, some even want to try. Now they notice when I come with a new FP at the office

One of them has bought her her first fp since she left school :)

#65 Felix1

Felix1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:24

I get a lot of "Is that a...?" from folks who don't know me.

About the only pen brand non-users seem to recognize is a Montblanc. 

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

#66 Lyander0012

Lyander0012

One Who Wanders With The Water

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 13:50

"What happens if I do this-"

"NO!" Cue me diving to rescue the pen

EXACT same thing happened to me when someone tried turning the piston knob on a recently-filled Lamy 2000 of mine. What with the squirt-gun breather hole and the Lamy Blue-Black I had filled it with, there probably would have been a fairly spectacular mess in my classroom had I not reacted quickly enough :))

"The price of an object should not only be what you had to pay for it, but also what you've had to sacrifice in order to obtain it." - The Wisdom of The Internet

#67 Lyander0012

Lyander0012

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 14:01

Oh, if only we had Ollivander equivalent for pens... 

I also think HP fans just like antiquated equipment, since Harry uses quills. I'd think notetaking would be a chore and ink bottle smashing would be common (I believe Harry splits Cedric's bag and smashes his bottle in Goblet of Fire), but those impracticalities don't really crop up unless one has used it before, such as inky fingers, ink running everywhere, and where is that drying sand?! I knew I had a bag of it...!

I also remember seeing The Chamber of Secrets and noticing that Harry's quill isn't the tipped kind but the kind you use a knife to form the nib, and wondering "... do they teach how to cut quills first thing in Hogwarts?". Apparently, they are terribly difficult to get the right angle, since feathers splinter easily. You'd think they'd make the pupils use the nib-tipped ones. Tsk tsk. 

Ha...ha. I've actually been a bit of a Harry Potter fan ever since the first film came out way back in... well, I can't quite recall the exact year, but I remember that I was fairly young back then. The fact that a lot of people in school say that I bear a reasonably strong resemblance to the protag only made me even fonder of the series (Would you believe that almost all my underclassmen in college call me Harry Potter? It's flattering, but at the same time fairly irritating).

Ironically, the reasons behind my purchasing my first FP were completely unrelated to my nick name, though some others have drawn parallels between my FPs and quills. The first reason was that I grew fond of a Sheaffer Imperial desk pen my grandfather had lying around on his desk, which explains why I decided to buy a Sheaffer pen all those months ago, while the second reason was... well, I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic series, as well as his short stories (he apparently used a Lamy 2000 to write American Gods  :blush:

P.S.
Just remembered another fairly negative reaction from an... acquaintance of mine: she said that the only reason a person would spend over 100 pesos (a bit more than $2?) was because they were insecure about their image, and wanted to show off. 

Then again, most everyone in my class has asked to try my pens (naturally, that came with a lecture on proper nib orientation, as well as a stern warning not to press down too hard on the nib), and they all found it to be much smoother to write with than regular ol' ballpoints/roller balls. I've yet to convert anyone, though :P

"The price of an object should not only be what you had to pay for it, but also what you've had to sacrifice in order to obtain it." - The Wisdom of The Internet

#68 Strombomboli

Strombomboli

I can't write with ballpoint pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 14:47

If the Harry Potter craze converted some young people to fountain pen users, we should award J.K. Rowling a medal, I think. Honorary member of the FPN, Chevalier de l'ordre mondial du stylo plume, something like that.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

#69 GabrielleDuVent

GabrielleDuVent

• Member - Gold

• 1,235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 15:17

If the Harry Potter craze converted some young people to fountain pen users, we should award J.K. Rowling a medal, I think. Honorary member of the FPN, Chevalier de l'ordre mondial du stylo plume, something like that.

We can award her with one of those really cheap ballpoints with names in the body. She might not like the idea of FPs, though; it's one of the hallmarks of privileged class (spending 200 pounds on something when you can buy one with "equal" function for 50p? Preposterous!) and she did write a novel recently that directly indicts the middle class.

Just remembered another fairly negative reaction from an... acquaintance of mine: she said that the only reason a person would spend over 100 pesos (a bit more than $2?) was because they were insecure about their image, and wanted to show off. 

Then again, most everyone in my class has asked to try my pens (naturally, that came with a lecture on proper nib orientation, as well as a stern warning not to press down too hard on the nib), and they all found it to be much smoother to write with than regular ol' ballpoints/roller balls. I've yet to convert anyone, though :P

Or one might just be plain tired of donating bic rods to the street pavement. Or one might have really weak writing pressure (like me) and can't write anything legible with bic rods. Or one might have done the calculation and said, "right, 1000 dollars for a good pen. I'm going to use it for 60 years. That's 21900 days, 1000/21900 is 4.5 cents, that's cheaper than a bic." 

I personally can't write with bic. It becomes illegible with all the ink skips. So it's not from vanity but utility.

Edited by GabrielleDuVent, 02 June 2013 - 15:18.

#70 AndrewThomas

AndrewThomas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 15:30

My favorite response occurred in a graduate class. I study 17th and 18th century American literature and culture and when another student saw the pen, she sort of smugly asked if such pens made me feel closer to the time period I studied. I, of course, let her know that the fountain pen is a late 19th century invention and didn't really gain ubiquity until the early 20th, meaning it had nothing to do at all with those whom I studied. She didn't say much after that. I suppose these are distinctly grad school exchanges.

#71 jetsam

jetsam

Thank God my head has two sides

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 15:57

.....I lent a MB out and I got it back with a broken nib...).......

That has to be the worse pen story on FPN, and the best lesson learned.
They probably dropped it on its nib like I dropped my Waterman.
I'm afraid I have dropsy; not good for fountain pens.

#72 MKIM97

MKIM97

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 16:25

We can award her with one of those really cheap ballpoints with names in the body. She might not like the idea of FPs, though; it's one of the hallmarks of privileged class (spending 200 pounds on something when you can buy one with "equal" function for 50p? Preposterous!) and she did write a novel recently that directly indicts the middle class.

I was under the impression she wrote the Harry Potter books with a fountain pen.

#73 GabrielleDuVent

GabrielleDuVent

• Member - Gold

• 1,235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 16:32

I was under the impression she wrote the Harry Potter books with a fountain pen.

I actually heard she wrote with rollerballs. But I'm favourable of the opinion that she wrote with a magical quill that just transcribes the thoughts she has in her head, on parchments.

Edited by GabrielleDuVent, 02 June 2013 - 16:32.

#74 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 16:48

They say to me :"Do you still write with fountain pens?"

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#75 Trebor

Trebor

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 17:03

I use Pilot VPs a lot, which tends to minimize people noticing my pen (its nib footprint is very small). I've gotten mostly curious comments, though people do notice, even if they don't say anything. I had someone say to me, "You know, I've noticed for a while now, but your pen..."

It's usually pretty cool taking about my pens, but I've found that money really clouds the discussion. One person freaked out and went around our workplace asking everyone if they could believe that I had hundreds of dollars in pens. Another constantly asks me which of my pens are "better" than others (with the implication that the more money you spend, the better it is).

So, I try to minimize disruptions due to my pen use by carrying cheap loaner pens; easier for all involved, and it keeps me from freaking out that they will destroy my pen.

Edit: Though I did get that person who freaked out to get a Safari for her husband, so... mission success?

Edited by Trebor, 02 June 2013 - 17:06.

#76 playtime

playtime

Extremely Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 21:05

Oh. My. Lord.

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"Lacking data, like any good social scientist I was free to make stuff up; but as a scholar and a teacher, I had to make an effort to theorise responsibly."Professor Propas

"Marriage is a fine institution, except when it comes to pens."Professor Propas

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

#77 GabrielleDuVent

GabrielleDuVent

• Member - Gold

• 1,235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 21:25

I use Pilot VPs a lot, which tends to minimize people noticing my pen (its nib footprint is very small). I've gotten mostly curious comments, though people do notice, even if they don't say anything. I had someone say to me, "You know, I've noticed for a while now, but your pen..."

It's usually pretty cool taking about my pens, but I've found that money really clouds the discussion. One person freaked out and went around our workplace asking everyone if they could believe that I had hundreds of dollars in pens. Another constantly asks me which of my pens are "better" than others (with the implication that the more money you spend, the better it is).

So, I try to minimize disruptions due to my pen use by carrying cheap loaner pens; easier for all involved, and it keeps me from freaking out that they will destroy my pen.

Edit: Though I did get that person who freaked out to get a Safari for her husband, so... mission success?

People don't bat an eyelash spending $500 on booze, but spending $100 on a pen is the end of the world. 

But asking people around the workplace if they can believe someone spends money on anything is rather... tasteless, imo. It's not about the money :(

#78 Penne Stilografiche

Penne Stilografiche

Definitely not here anymore

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 21:57

That has to be the worse pen story on FPN, and the best lesson learned.
They probably dropped it on its nib like I dropped my Waterman.
I'm afraid I have dropsy; not good for fountain pens.

I think it was worth it as a learning experience. It was just an older silver Noblesse that I ended up selling on ebay for more than I paid after fixing it up. I'm just happy the pen wasn't something like my Stipula Etruria!

mXEVXv-KqlZ9zYuy6ny9_OA.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

#79 Tom Aquinas

Tom Aquinas

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2013 - 23:25

The most common comment ; "Oh that's a nice calligraphy pen."

One of the most amusing to a pen addict;" My grandfather uses a fountain pen but its' one of those modern Parkers which has a 'hooded nib", I think he said."

The insults I get when I won't let someone take a short note with a fP are not always charitable.

#80 Nashten

Nashten

Absit Invidia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 00:41

"Is that a calligraphy pen?!" 
"Really? You use one of those?" - then they proceed to give a disgusting look to me and wander off. 

Only had one person legitimately say: "A fountain pen? NICE!" 

I carry around a few Uni-ball Rollers and my Cross ballpoint for people just in case they ask me. :)

Some ask how much I spend on my pens too. "90 bucks for a pen? Are you crazy?!" 

"Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often at times we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

#81 Lyander0012

Lyander0012

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:56

"Really? You use one of those?" - then they proceed to give a disgusting look to me and wander off. 

Huh, that's a new one on me. I'd understand being flabbergasted at the amount of money a person would spend on fountain pens, but actively showing disgust at the thought of using a fountain pen? Wow  :huh:

Um, are you maybe from one of those countries where primary school kids are forced to use fountain pens to learn proper penmanship? Sorry, I don't know very much about Canada, really. I'm just curious, since the only reason I can think of for a person to develop a resentment towards fountain pens would be if they were imposed upon the person at an earlier time. 

But asking people around the workplace if they can believe someone spends money on anything is rather... tasteless, imo. It's not about the money :(

Not so much tasteless as it is a bit offensive, in my (humble?) opinion. I mean, it's one thing to react incredulously, but that sounded as if they were trying to rally support and convince themselves that they're in the right. 

... Yeah, I'm speaking from personal experience. It's not a pleasant memory, being called out for no good reason. Bah =_=

#82 Lyander0012

Lyander0012

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:05

Or one might just be plain tired of donating bic rods to the street pavement. Or one might have really weak writing pressure (like me) and can't write anything legible with bic rods. Or one might have done the calculation and said, "right, 1000 dollars for a good pen. I'm going to use it for 60 years. That's 21900 days, 1000/21900 is 4.5 cents, that's cheaper than a bic." 

I personally can't write with bic. It becomes illegible with all the ink skips. So it's not from vanity but utility.

Hmm, maybe a Parker Jotter? I'm sure that a layperson would appreciate that very much. Or maybe a Fisher Space Pen, just for the sake of being different, haha  :thumbup:

Regardless of how well I defend my position, or how much I insist that it's not so much a matter of vanity than it is my simply deriving more enjoyment out of writing that leads to my using fountain pens on a daily basis for everyday tasks, it's impossible to convince someone who's already made up their mind. As they say (though who "they" are, I'm not exactly sure), NEVER argue with an idiot, as they will bring you down to their level then win from experience. In this case, though, it's more a matter of unenlightenment than idiocy, despite neither being mutually exclusive characteristics  :rolleyes:

... Okay, I'm pretty sure that quote about idiots was taken from someone famous, but I'm not entirely sure who it was that said it :/

#83 N2theBreach

N2theBreach

Still learning

• Member - Gold

• 891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:08

I get a range of responses, from nothing, to:
- "Ooooohh. Fancy pen!" From colleagues at work, when I first switched. It's a bit of ribbing, really, because they know I'm not a guy to put on airs..
- One of my favorites: " It's been years since I've seen someone use a fountain pen. I enjoyed watching you write."
- "I remember using those. You get ink all over the place with them. <sniff>" I bite my tongue so that I don't reply, "Only if you're clumsy."
- "Pretty pen!" "Wanna try it?" "Can I? Oh, pretty ink, too!"

Unfortunately, many of the comments are from cashiers, so even though they seem interested, there isn't time to let them ask more about it.

Addendum : No one ever thought it was a weapon. I think the responses we get are based, in part, on our age. I'm middle- aged, so I think I may get more deference now than if I were much younger.

Plus, people my age are expected to do strange things. Things like wearing shorts that are above our knees, wearing a watch, and other weird stuff. :)

Edited by N2theBreach, 03 June 2013 - 04:22.

#84 Nashten

Nashten

Absit Invidia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:05

Huh, that's a new one on me. I'd understand being flabbergasted at the amount of money a person would spend on fountain pens, but actively showing disgust at the thought of using a fountain pen? Wow  :huh:

Um, are you maybe from one of those countries where primary school kids are forced to use fountain pens to learn proper penmanship? Sorry, I don't know very much about Canada, really. I'm just curious, since the only reason I can think of for a person to develop a resentment towards fountain pens would be if they were imposed upon the person at an earlier time. 

Not so much tasteless as it is a bit offensive, in my (humble?) opinion. I mean, it's one thing to react incredulously, but that sounded as if they were trying to rally support and convince themselves that they're in the right. 

... Yeah, I'm speaking from personal experience. It's not a pleasant memory, being called out for no good reason. Bah =_=

People here, once they see that someone uses a fountain pen, they instantly think 'rich and therefore, snobbish.' We only learn how to write in grades 3 and 4, and we never use FP's. Not even the art teachers in schools here use fountain pens or acknowledge them. I've been around and asked... A lot...

In my age group, (I'm 18) people give me a hard time because I prefer a fountain pen over the newest iPhone. Seems to be what media and popular culture has told people, and thus, they are distasteful to them and people who use them. 

My music teacher used a FP to write music, and he actually did have a music nib on it. Brand? I can't say because I never got close enough to take a full gander. My english teacher used fountain pens every now and then so her and I talked about them and penmanship a bunch. 

"Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often at times we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

#85 bluesky

bluesky

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:31

Family and friends usually humor me or say nothing.

Most people are not interested ( I suspect that to most people the Fountain Pen is considered an ancient tool of single function communication versus most people's usual excitement over a new piece of multifunctional explosive technology : phone, tablet, etc ) and most people don't handwrite letters, thank yous, notes anymore. It's just under the radar of practical usefulness in today's high technology age where typing has replaced handwriting.

Some people occasionally remark positively of the beauty of a stunning ( especially celluloid ) Fountain Pen.

Occasional unpleasant remark about how old fashioned and out of date Fountain pens are.

As I use Fountain Pens every day in my profession, I find that everyday I feel something very special as my Being connects Pen, Paper and Ink into a creative process. The feeling of entering the moment, Mind and Body together, here and now, focused on those I am listening to and the focusing on understanding of what is being said and understood. And the commitment that comes with writing my understanding speaks louder to me then the silence or unpleasantness.

Best regards

#86 GabrielleDuVent

GabrielleDuVent

• Member - Gold

• 1,235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:03

I get a range of responses, from nothing, to:
- "Ooooohh. Fancy pen!" From colleagues at work, when I first switched. It's a bit of ribbing, really, because they know I'm not a guy to put on airs..
- One of my favorites: " It's been years since I've seen someone use a fountain pen. I enjoyed watching you write."
- "I remember using those. You get ink all over the place with them. <sniff>" I bite my tongue so that I don't reply, "Only if you're clumsy."
- "Pretty pen!" "Wanna try it?" "Can I? Oh, pretty ink, too!"

Unfortunately, many of the comments are from cashiers, so even though they seem interested, there isn't time to let them ask more about it.

Addendum : No one ever thought it was a weapon. I think the responses we get are based, in part, on our age. I'm middle- aged, so I think I may get more deference now than if I were much younger.

Plus, people my age are expected to do strange things. Things like wearing shorts that are above our knees, wearing a watch, and other weird stuff. :)

I wear shorts above my knees and wear a watch all the time. It's not a middle-aged thing, it a thing of taste!

People here, once they see that someone uses a fountain pen, they instantly think 'rich and therefore, snobbish.' We only learn how to write in grades 3 and 4, and we never use FP's. Not even the art teachers in schools here use fountain pens or acknowledge them. I've been around and asked... A lot...

In my age group, (I'm 18) people give me a hard time because I prefer a fountain pen over the newest iPhone. Seems to be what media and popular culture has told people, and thus, they are distasteful to them and people who use them. 

My music teacher used a FP to write music, and he actually did have a music nib on it. Brand? I can't say because I never got close enough to take a full gander. My english teacher used fountain pens every now and then so her and I talked about them and penmanship a bunch. 

... That makes sense now, the "rich and snobbish" thing. I was using an FP to write a message inside a book, and one of my former acquaintances (no longer acquainted for the obvious reason that is about to follow), who is from Canada, glanced and said, "psh, snob". I had no idea what that was about; the pen was a Lamy Safari. It's a good pen, but not exactly top-of-the-line, state-of-art pen that screams "I am rich and I am endowed with all that money can give!". I've used the pen in the UK, and all I got was "would you like the ink cartridges for your Lamy? We have some" or "oh, you're using a Lamy". The Americans give me no comment.

Now that I think about it, with all of his responses to me, I'd say that they aren't distasteful, but rather, jealous. It sets you apart from others and an FP appears to be an indirect way of telling people, "I am different from you. I can spend money and time on a pen (which is a luxury item in a common perception; after all, bic rods are a dollar a bag?), and I have. I have taste, class and culture". It's not that they want the pen, but they identify you as classy. 

I'd gotten plenty of jibes from that fellow, in regards to all sorts of things, starting with wine, coffee, all the way to my leather-bound copy of Burns. It was rather clear in the end that he had a reverse inferiority complex regarding manner and culture to me, which struck me as pretty ridiculous. But as a wise man once said, "what you have is normal to you, but perhaps not normal to others".

Edited by GabrielleDuVent, 03 June 2013 - 10:08.

#87 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 16:28

Ah... I've been reminded of a couple of other comments:

"No wonder you have such nice handwriting!" (Heh. Years and pens ago, when I still wrote with ballpoints primarily, I received favorable remarks about my handwriting, so I don't think it's the pen. Maybe a little.) (Not to brag about my handwriting, which I find sloppy more often than not.)

"A fountain pen? I didn't know they still made those."

I can't recall any nasty remarks. Perhaps I've been inured to being considered an oddball, so I hardly notice those comments. I do not consider using a fountain pen a mark of being an oddball, though. I suppose I should, but I just can't. Rather, I perceive those who look upon a fountain pen with cautious wonder or indifference as odd. Really? It's a fountain pen, not a hand grenade.

I ink; therefore, I am
Fleekair <--French accent.

#88 GabrielleDuVent

GabrielleDuVent

• Member - Gold

• 1,235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 16:35

I can't recall any nasty remarks. Perhaps I've been inured to being considered an oddball, so I hardly notice those comments. I do not consider using a fountain pen a mark of being an oddball, though. I suppose I should, but I just can't. Rather, I perceive those who look upon a fountain pen with cautious wonder or indifference as odd. Really? It's a fountain pen, not a hand grenade.

For those who don't know how to use it, it can be hand grade. Ink explodes everywhere. Especially if you throw it.

I think, for those who are aware of my existence, that I appear to be a very old-fashioned person with quirky habits. Perhaps not quite of this generation. A lot of my interests are quite antiquated, and I do often get "... what on earth is that" kind of a look when I am using my FP in a new environment. Pull out an ink eradicator and I'm pretty much set as being old-fashioned.

Then I pull out things like Kindle and they just decide I'm weird.

#89 CoolFool

CoolFool

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:33

A couple of incidents in which it would have helped if I'd had a fountain pen to whip out:

At a garage sale, I asked if they had any fountain pens.  The guy tried to sell me some squirting water toy.  I guess all he heard was "fountain."

At a thrift store, I asked for fountain pens and was directed to a rack full of pants. 

Maybe I should work on my diction.

"A kingdom for a stage, princes to act,
And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!"

#90 Lyander0012

Lyander0012

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:22

A couple of incidents in which it would have helped if I'd had a fountain pen to whip out:

At a garage sale, I asked if they had any fountain pens.  The guy tried to sell me some squirting water toy.  I guess all he heard was "fountain."

At a thrift store, I asked for fountain pens and was directed to a rack full of pants. 

Maybe I should work on my diction.

... I'm sorry, but the latter part cracked me up  :lticaptd:

Anyway, apart from the fairly close group of FP enthusiasts here in the Philippines, I find it near impossible to find anyone even remotely knowledgeable about fountain pens. True, one could argue that any such people would inevitably have been drawn into the group, but with barely over 200 members out of the millions in Metro Manila alone, one would feel that there ought to be a few lone wolves operating here and there  :rolleyes:

Bah, I wish that fountain pens weren't such a niche product. The novelty of using a fountain pen doesn't quite weigh up against the sheer practicality of it (when limited to optimal/adequate writing conditions), so the joy of using one when most people opt for roller balls/ballpoints/felt tips/etc. or, God forbid, not writing at all (*gasp* ;)) is nowhere near compensation enough for those moments when you need replacement parts or advice on short notice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gossip, pens, people