Photo

What Do People Say To You When You Whip Out That Pen?

gossip pens people

• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

Poll: Common perceptions (366 member(s) have cast votes)

What do people say to you when you get out your FP?

1. "My, that's a weird looking pen." (41 votes [8.25%])

Percentage of vote: 8.25%

2. "That's a cool pen!" (136 votes [27.36%])

Percentage of vote: 27.36%

3. "Is that a fountain pen?" (146 votes [29.38%])

Percentage of vote: 29.38%

4. "Is that a weapon?" (12 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

5. "Can I borrow it?" (29 votes [5.84%])

Percentage of vote: 5.84%

6. "Do you use fountain pens? I do too! (goes off into a monologue)" (15 votes [3.02%])

Percentage of vote: 3.02%

7. "That's a very posh pen." (43 votes [8.65%])

Percentage of vote: 8.65%

8. Other (write them in the posts!) (75 votes [15.09%])

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#421 napalm

napalm

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 17:57

illwill.jpg

#422 scratchofapen

scratchofapen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2014 - 16:55

I's more a problem about what typ of pen i carry. The mormal raction is nothing as most people
don't care.
But if i carry a Meisterstück MB there are often the usual comments. Unfortunately the formerly
mentioned "judging your class by your pen" thing appears quite often then. I really hate that
the marketing strategy of MB worked that good, so i use a Meisterstück less often when i am
at wort or on travel.
To make it competely absurd, when i'm using my Verne or Faulkner in most cases nobody cares
again as long the white star isn't noticed (i usually don't post and use pen pouches, so the chance
Is good for that). As if people were trained to some kind of MB-bling as Pavlov's' dog to food...

Odd views too, while weraring an metal-t-shirt and using a MB - class juding dont work then.

Edited by scratchofapen, 29 June 2014 - 16:56.

#423 VivienR

VivienR

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:27

Yesterday wan in a Prometric Training Center to finish an another Microsoft Certification, and for that I needed to sign a few things. As I not seen any pen in near by, reached to mine, used my simple Matte Black Sonnet GT with Diamine's Imperial Purple. The exam administrator was so wondered, she noted that's a very beautiful pen and how differently and more beautifully writes, as well rarely see fountain pens any more... I was just smiling. 

#424 Namru

Namru

Wet Cake

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 21:19

Went to order some flowers from my local florist recently and was jotting down the pick up date and opening times in my pocket notebook. She noted my "old fashioned" handwriting and the stub nib I was using. She had to have a go; eventually the pen pouch came out and I had to damn near prise my Sheaffer Imperial from her hand. I think she appreciated that someone in their mid 20s still goes to the effort of writing down random everyday notes with a fine writing instrument instead of a disposable iPad or Bic.

#425 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 21:23

Went to order some flowers from my local florist recently and was jotting down the pick up date and opening times in my pocket notebook. She noted my "old fashioned" handwriting and the stub nib I was using. She had to have a go; eventually the pen pouch came out and I had to damn near prise my Sheaffer Imperial from her hand. I think she appreciated that someone in their mid 20s still goes to the effort of writing down random everyday notes with a fine writing instrument instead of a disposable iPad or Bic.

Chances are you've made a convert....

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#426 william2001

william2001

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:37

"Whoa!"-Longfellow Middle School friends.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

#427 Lyander0012

Lyander0012

One Who Wanders With The Water

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:18

The one time I was so bored I brought an oblique pen holder, a bottle of ink, and a few nibs to school, back when I was still a college student:

"Oi, Apple (my nickname)! I think your pen's broken!  :yikes: "

"Why is it shaped like that? Is it for lefties? You're not a lefty though."

"What the heck, Apple? I can't believe you actually brought a dip nib to school  :lticaptd: "

That last one was an older friend of mine who was taking his second course. He was familiar with dip pens on account of his being friends with an artist who still inked their sketches using dip pens and sumi ink, so when I got around to talking fountain pens with him, he joked that I should just have a quill and inkwell at my desk for taking notes instead of carrying around my fountain pens. To be fair, dip pens are less archaic than quills, but most people wouldn't bother with that distinction, haha.

Oh, and everywhere I go in this country people invariably start calling my fountain pens "Jose Rizal pens", even though he lived in the late 1800s, when quills were still a more prolific type of writing implement. Well, at least they were in colonial Philippines; no idea about other countries.

Cheers!

Kevin

"The price of an object should not only be what you had to pay for it, but also what you've had to sacrifice in order to obtain it." - The Wisdom of The Internet

#428 Mezzie

Mezzie

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:08

I had a few more students notice my pens yesterday. One came up and basically asked for a rundown of how they worked and then asked where he could buy them. The entire time, about six other students were intently listening. I think I may have to give a pen to the student who asked about them before the session is over.

#429 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 14:58

Yesterday, was in a meeting and someone said:

"Wow, you're using a fountain pen!....didn't know they were still around....bit old fashioned..."

and laughed.......

But 99% of the time at work, no one says anything....the other 1%, I get either something like the above comment or occasionally "What a beautiful pen!".....

:)
Digerati & FP Addict
Diplomat #055

*** Please check my for sale posts in Classifieds ***

#430 tinysnail

tinysnail

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2014 - 20:05

"Is that a fountain pen?"

"Can I try it?"

"Was it expensive?"

I am still pretty new to FPs, sooooo it'll be interesting to see what comments (if any) I get once class starts up again after the summer. 

'The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas, like the colours or the words must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in this world for ugly mathematics. " – G. H. Hardy

#431 VOKEY

VOKEY

Mint

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:26

I haven't noticed any one giving it a second thought, really.

#432 JulesSilvan

JulesSilvan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:41

"I look at that pen and I want to steal it."

My supervisor after he saw my Lamy Vista on the work table.

#433 byggyns

byggyns

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 13:36

I was meeting with a colleague yesterday, and pulled the pen out to take notes, and he commented on it. He was stuggling to come up with the term for it. He said, " that's one of those ... uh." So I had to tell him it was a fountain pen. He thought the two I had on me were cool.

#434 j1020

j1020

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 23:46

"How old is that pen?"

"I had one of those a long time ago. It leaked."

j1020

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gossip, pens, people