Photo

What Do People Say To You When You Whip Out That Pen?

gossip pens people

• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

Poll: Common perceptions (367 member(s) have cast votes)

What do people say to you when you get out your FP?

1. "My, that's a weird looking pen." (41 votes [8.23%])

Percentage of vote: 8.23%

2. "That's a cool pen!" (137 votes [27.51%])

Percentage of vote: 27.51%

3. "Is that a fountain pen?" (146 votes [29.32%])

Percentage of vote: 29.32%

4. "Is that a weapon?" (12 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

5. "Can I borrow it?" (29 votes [5.82%])

Percentage of vote: 5.82%

6. "Do you use fountain pens? I do too! (goes off into a monologue)" (15 votes [3.01%])

Percentage of vote: 3.01%

7. "That's a very posh pen." (43 votes [8.63%])

Percentage of vote: 8.63%

8. Other (write them in the posts!) (75 votes [15.06%])

Percentage of vote: 15.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#391 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 13:22

Oh, if only we had Ollivander equivalent for pens...  

Does Brian Gray count?

#392 GabrielleDuVent

GabrielleDuVent

The Sylph Scribe of the Unseelie Court, 2nd Class

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 18:47

Well, whaddya know. My mate (now at one of the largest gaming companies in the world) managed to distract a room full of tech trendoids with his very antiquated pen. 

Apparently people who make Cloud Strife and Lightning come to life likes antiquated utensils. Maybe he'll introduce them to straight razors next. Nothing makes you feel more manly than having a sharp blade by your throat every morning, evidently. 

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié. 

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

#393 Mari1013

Mari1013

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:12

I wasn't wielding a pen on this occasion, but it's the most interesting pen experience I've ever had:

During the 2000 elections, a certain pair of candidates for president and vice-president were visiting the city in which I live; a few friends and I decided it would be fun to go take a look. When we got to the event's venue -- a wide plaza in the center of town -- we positioned ourselves where we thought we might catch a glimpse of the two men. Quite by chance, our chosen spot turned out to be the front row, with nothing but police barriers between ourselves and the expected visitors. Quite sensibly, I had left my purse behind and carried only a few bills and my fountain pen, a blue Levenger Sheaffer Mediterranean, in my blouse pocket.

City officials, police, party honchos, and Secret Service agents sprinted back and forth between the podium and the spot where the candidates were to arrive. One particular person, a female agent, caught my attention because A. she was a woman, and B. she seemed very focused on the path she was criss-crossing. Suddenly, a shiver of excitement spread through the crowd, and we saw the candidates walking toward us. Just ahead of them, the female agent was walking close to the barriers, waving to people to stay back. As she aproached, she leaned toward me, looked me in the eye, and said, "Don't pull that pen out of your pocket." Stunned, I managed to stammer a "Yes, Ma'am" as she continued down the line.

I didn't even look at my pen until I was on my way home.

#394 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:03

Great story! Welcome to FPN.

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

If you want to know about my ever changing Avatar, check out this thread.

Borrow a TWSBI?  

Borrow an Estie?

#395 cybaea

cybaea

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 874 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:01

Great story @Mari1013 ! Thank you for sharing.

#396 TheModernGent

TheModernGent

an enabler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:18

Awesome story Mari

letterji9.png

#397 DaveBj

DaveBj

Viking Pen Wielder

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 14:56

Most people don't even notice; the few that do are complimentary.

I've never gotten the weapon comparison.  Some of y'all must live in strange 'hoods.

Edit: I just finished reading the whole thread -- most entertaining :D

Edited by DaveBj, 11 June 2014 - 20:08.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick.  --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross ?Townsend? M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Cross Aventura

DaveBj

#398 LuckyKate

LuckyKate

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 18:10

Mari--love that story!

My students ask to borrow my pens several times a day, and loaning them out is so automatic that I barely notice I'm doing it Therefore, I never use fountain pens at work. The last time I did the pen (an orange Lamy Safari) showed up in the front row. I knew it was mine but didn't dare ask for it back!

Edited by LuckyKate, 11 June 2014 - 18:13.

#399 Cepasaccus

Cepasaccus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2014 - 22:31

A Russian guy told me after seeing my pen, that in his childhood they had a dip pen and ink well at the post office to be used. That was in the 1980s.

#400 LWJ2

LWJ2

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:50

Monday I had a discussion with the cashier in the tobacco store about fountain pens when he saw me using one of mine to make out a cheque; he inherited a desk set from his grandfather and uses it at home. He wasn't at all familiar with pocket fountain pens and was quite intrigued. Muwahahahaha, another poor sod who's ruined. Company is great. :) 

#401 Coop

Coop

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:43

My boss: I buy you a €2000 laptop and you use that to take notes?

Me: Yes, a study shows that you remember more if you take your notes the analog way. Oh, and by the way, we need better notepads, my ink feathers on these...

My boss: :rolleyes:

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainp...t/#entry2917072

#402 GTOZack

GTOZack

ah that Deaf guy.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:45

a friend said that I'm from other time,  without a beat I demanded to know what year is it.  

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort.  B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

#403 Rubicon

Rubicon

Master of the Universe

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2014 - 14:56

Older people generally don't say anything. My peers (aka younger people in their late teens and early 20s) think it's the (bleep). They usually can't resist making a comment about how cool the pen is, and of course, how great my handwriting is also :P I'm glad the people in my life are so accepting. I don't get all the stabby comments, haha. Most fountain pens run broader than ballpoint pens, so unless you have an XXXF hairline spencerian or something, I can't imagine anyone using an FP as a bladed weapon. And even IF you have an XXXF, it amounts to at most a very thick needle. (I do, however, remember a youtube clip from a film where some villain savaged a poor chap with his FP)

I've personally had things from "you think you're classy because you use a weird pen, don't you?" (?!?!?!) to "is that a weapon?". I've only had a few people identify them as fountain pens.

Were they serious? Gosh, that's so rude. If I meet someone who said that in earnest, I wouldn't want to talk to them again. First of all, where do they get off assuming that before you even say anything? Secondly, people who have chips this big on their shoulders can't be pleasant company.

Edited by Rubicon, 12 June 2014 - 15:01.

Currently: Montblanc WE Franz Kafka Fine

#404 GabrielleDuVent

GabrielleDuVent

The Sylph Scribe of the Unseelie Court, 2nd Class

• Member - Gold

• 1,235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:47

Were they serious? Gosh, that's so rude. If I meet someone who said that in earnest, I wouldn't want to talk to them again. First of all, where do they get off assuming that before you even say anything? Secondly, people who have chips this big on their shoulders can't be pleasant company.

Yeah, but that might have been my fault. I evidently appear as stand-offish and detached. Compound that to blazers (they aren't from Saville Row, but apparently collared shirts and jackets make you look haughty), leather shoes, and a pen that doesn't have BIC on it... it all is a quick spiral to "my goodness, you must think you're posh". Antagonism from the get-go. 

I must appear as a female version of Robert Langdon or something. Minus the Mickey watch. 

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié. 

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

#405 The Journeyman

The Journeyman

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 14:00

Some of the entries here reminded me of what happened to me when I moved to the town where I now live. I moved here some years ago but only heard the following within the last year.
A top priority for me was finding a local coffee shop where I could be comfortable to sit and read, write and generally watch the world go by. After I moved here I began frequenting the coffee shop which is now my "local" and which I use multiple times each week. Of course they now know me well and confided to me that when I first started to come in and sit for lengthy periods of time, because I was always writing with a FP (either in my notebook or diary - though they didn't know what I was writing) they speculated what I was doing. They concluded that I was Government tax investigator keeping a record of the trade they were doing to check it was all being declared on their tax returns! Apparently the fact I wrote so much AND used an "old fashioned" pen suggested to them I must work for the government! First impressions, eh? I confess I felt their view of me was a bit insulting, though I can understand where they were coming from! I have pointed out however their views of me say more about their guilty conscience than my appearance! Interesting though that their view of using a FP was that it was a sign of officialdom!

#406 GTOZack

GTOZack

ah that Deaf guy.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 14:05

Did i pay tax for this bundle of iily coffee...... i must prove i must prove. 

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort.  B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

#407 LWJ2

LWJ2

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 14:39

Yeah, but that might have been my fault. I evidently appear as stand-offish and detached. Compound that to blazers (they aren't from Saville Row, but apparently collared shirts and jackets make you look haughty), leather shoes, and a pen that doesn't have BIC on it... it all is a quick spiral to "my goodness, you must think you're posh". Antagonism from the get-go. 

I must appear as a female version of Robert Langdon or something. Minus the Mickey watch. 

Oi veh.

You were dressed (1) as a lady would for a business meeting and (2) fairly stylishly so and that's "standoffish?"  I guess I'd have been categorized the same way, I'd have been wearing either a chalk-striped suit, white or blue shirt with a tie and black wingtips or a Harris tweed sport coat, blue Oxford shirt with a tie, khaki trousers and cordovan loafers. And taking notes with a fountain pen. 

Oh. Yeh, forgot. I wear a military haircut that's a ragingly long 5/8 inch on top.

No excuse, ma'am, I was reared Southern.   :)

Edited by LWJ2, 13 June 2014 - 14:41.

#408 PatientType

PatientType

Enjoying the Journey

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 16:30

Most often I get some expression of admiration for the pen or a question as to what kind of pen it might be.  Some older people notice the fountain pen with a nostalgic comment about when they used to use one.  A few people react with a smirk and a comment on how fountain pens are messy or foolishy inefficient.  As with most everything else the comments are more reflective of the speaker than the pen.

#409 ac12

ac12

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:48

Today I had a lady tell me "that's a proper pen."

She was from England and had used fountain pens up through high school.

And they HAD TO use fountain pens.

#410 VivienR

VivienR

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2014 - 15:35

"That is a really beautiful pen.", was the first sentence from a woman whom seen my Parker Sonnet Metal and Pearl. Told, I like fountain pens, they write better than everything. She said: "They have a style too".

#411 ceramic_pizza

ceramic_pizza

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:45

Mostly my classmates say that it's a cool pen and then ignore it. One guy who always borrows my pens always adds on that he wants a normal one. He says he's afraid to break my pen.

Also once in chem class a guy told me to make sure I was using permanent ink since fountain pen inks are waterbased. Then I told him about Noodlers and would have started a discussion if we weren't in class. And other time someone asked me if i got that from Goulet. That was pretty cool. 

#412 napalm

napalm

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 853 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:57

When I whip mine out, people say, "Oh my! I was not expecting that!"

Stub nib, eh? :lticaptd:

#413 Lyander0012

Lyander0012

One Who Wanders With The Water

• Member - Gold

• 1,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:00

Nothing at all wrong with the Mickey watch, creepy as it might be with the arms in full contortionist style :P

Hmm, I've actually been running into a whole load of people like that lately, which kinda doesn't make sense considering that a lot of them have had watches worth an insane amount of money strapped to their wrists. I guess the idea of a fountain pen is something more anachronistic and "fancy" than an old analogue watch. Suits me just fine, but I've taken to keeping my pens in hidden pockets nowadays; no use drawing unwanted attention to oneself :/

Cheers.

"The price of an object should not only be what you had to pay for it, but also what you've had to sacrifice in order to obtain it." - The Wisdom of The Internet

#414 napalm

napalm

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 853 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:03

Apparently the fact I wrote so much AND used an "old fashioned" pen suggested to them I must work for the government!

Tell them you're the taxman.

#415 Yaakova

Yaakova

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:41

My coworkers tend not to be surprised by most of the things I do, so they take my fountain pen usage in stride. I did get a few questions when they saw me writing in shorthand, however.

"Don't be humble, you're not that great." Golda Meir

#416 adamselene

adamselene

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 19:25

A 20 something young women taking returns at the big box hardware store commenteed, "that's the kind of pen my Grandfather's got me addicted to."

I am embarrassed to say I waan't really listening, and rather patronizingly said, "sometimes people will ask me if it's a caligraphy pen, but it's a fountain pen...."

She certainly got my attention when she said "I really like how the Pelikans write, but they are really expensive".

I stared at my black M800, which doesn't usually attract attention. In fact, I had been neglecting it, but sought it out for the nib when I had to write a special note in my daughter's 28th birthday card, then been reluctant to let go of it.

I showed her the great line variation with the IB, and wrote out the URL for FPN in Black Swan in Australian Roses. I recommended this amicable Community, and also told her how well the inexpensive Pelikano performs.

I am at an age where I still get flustered when pretty blondes give me grandfatherly attention. I hope she does check out FPN.

#417 Colin8

Colin8

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 15:56

"Oh so did you go to calligraphy camp or something?"

"This is a really fancy pen!" (my Pilot MP)

Granted anything that is said is usually at work. I go to seminary which is where I use the nicer ones, and students there are either FP users or at least familiar with them.

Edited by Colin8, 23 June 2014 - 15:59.

#418 titanofold

titanofold

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 16:29

Like a few others, I've let a new acquaintance use my pen, and she held it upside down. I don't understand how anyone would think that's how it's to be held. I've always understood a fountain pen to be "pretty-side up".  :D

My fiancée uses it, and her handwriting becomes more legible. (No, I'm not bad-mouthing her behind her back, I'm complimenting her...which may be worse.)

I've gotten the "oh, I've just picked up a fountain pen recently..." and "I do caligraphy...". I get the calligraphy inference only because they both use metal nibs, so there's a natural leap.

And Barney Stinson didn't help.

#419 ravantra

ravantra

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,205 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 16:40

At a construction site:

contractor: I need to take some notes. Do you have a spare pen…?

me: <reaching into my bag> Uhmm.

contractor: Make sure it is nothing "fancy".

me: <Hands him a Sharpie brand pen>

I guess he has paid attention to my pens during meetings.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.
Posted Image

#420 napalm

napalm

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 853 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2014 - 17:02

At work I always carry a mechanical pencil, a Parker Jotter with a Fisher Space Pen refill and a fountain pen. They're all very useful to me, each in its own way/purpose. It's the Jotter that always gets handed as the "loaner". No accidents with it so far, everybody knows how to use one, and it will write perfectly on the crappy paper that the pen borrowers tend to use. And it looks decent enough that your boss will not feel mistreated (like in the old slimy dried up Bic stick scenario).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gossip, pens, people