#1 xwingrox

xwingrox

Still Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:01

I recently bought a Parker 51 off Ebay for a decent price. The only problem is that the tines do not touch and the slit is entirely straight - as in || straight. How do I work the times so that the tips touch again and I get ink flow? I'd usually monkey around with the nib myself but this is a gold nib with good potential to be an everyday writer. 

8887313802_a71f5873ae_o.jpg

Thanks!

#2 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:58

First of all, you should not adjust the tines so that they touch. There should always be a gap of 0.0005" to 0.001" (0.013 mm to 0.025 mm) between them.

Hold the pen horizontally so that it is pointing toward you, with the nib upward and the feed downward. Push down gently on one tine, using a fingernail and applying pressure immediately adjacent to the shell (hod). As you push the tine down, it will move inward, and its tip will click under the other tine's tip. Release it and do the same thing to the other tine. Repeat if required.  Check the tips for alignment and spacing, and adjust as necessary.

Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

#3 xwingrox

xwingrox

Still Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2013 - 19:13

( A rely from THE nib mister himself!  :notworthy1: )

First of all, you should not adjust the tines so that they touch. There should always be a gap of 0.0005" to 0.001" (0.013 mm to 0.025 mm) between them.

Should this gap be visible to the naked eye or under magnification (I have a 10x loupe)? 

Thanks!

#4 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2013 - 20:13

( A rely from THE nib mister himself!  :notworthy1: )

Should this gap be visible to the naked eye or under magnification (I have a 10x loupe)? 

Thanks!

Depends on the eye.  :)  

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#5 tguk911

tguk911

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:23

I recently bought a Parker 51 off Ebay for a decent price. The only problem is that the tines do not touch and the slit is entirely straight - as in || straight. How do I work the times so that the tips touch again and I get ink flow? I'd usually monkey around with the nib myself but this is a gold nib with good potential to be an everyday writer. 

8887313802_a71f5873ae_o.jpg

Thanks!

Did you try the pen out first? If so how did it write?

#6 xwingrox

xwingrox

Still Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:26

Did you try the pen out first? If so how did it write?

The pen would write for a few lines if I squeezed some ink from the aerometric filler. But then it would dry out and I would have to repeat the process again. And Again. 

#7 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2013 - 20:12

With the naked eye, when you hold the nib up so that there is a bright light behind it, you will probably see that there is a gap, but a 10x loupe would be preferable. :)
Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image