The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Thoughts On The Twsbi 580

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SeeksAdvice

SeeksAdvice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:09

I am by no means an expert, but figured that I'd share some of my thoughts and questions about this pen.  I currently have a Sailor Pro Gear Realo (EF); a Pelikan M400 (EF); a Waterman Phileas (EF); 2 Hemisphere (F); and a couple other writing tools for special uses.  Recently I added a TWSBI 580 to the collection.

I ordered one in EF from Goulet.  Found the fit and finish to be much better than I expected.  While it is not a pen I would likely bring to a jury trial or state supreme court argument, its fit, finish, and appearance are good enough that it has found its way into court with me a few times.  For its price range, I'd give it an 8 out of 10 for fit/finish.  In some respects it's actually better than my Sailor (removal of casting marks) and my Pelikan (easier piston movement).

I like the diameter of the pen, but the pen balance when posted gives me some issues.  Back shifted a bit much for me.  Also, pen feels a bit long when posted, and I don't have tiny hands.  Only FP or liquid ink filling RB that I have that I write with unposted.

Ease of taking the pen apart is a big plus.  Makes it easier to clean.

Have tried Jentle Epinard, OMBB, Kiwa-Guro, and Platinum Carbon.  Got pretty good results with the Epinard.  Had/have pretty bad nib creep with the Platinum Carbon, which has performed well for me in other pens.  Has anyone else had that issue?  OMBB gave me the expected nib creep, and some ink flow issues. 

Kiwa-Guro had some ink flow issues but otherwise did well with the 580.  Noticed some odd interactions between the ink and the plastic walls; instead of clinging to the walls, the ink would act like mercury in a vial and show no affinity whatsoever to the plastic walls.  Sort of like what my sample of Kiwa-Guro did inside it's vial.

Has anyone else experienced flow issues with heavily saturated inks and/or "nano" inks in a 580 EF?

The nib is a little on the stiff side, but feels better on the page than my Waterman pens do.  Provides a tight fine line which is nice for writing on forms, etc..  No noticeable scratchiness from the EF, and felt like it had a shorter "break in" time than my Sailor EF.  Of the stainless nibbed pens I have, will say this one writes the smoothest.  For being a stainless nib, I'd give it between a 7 and an 8.  It actually writes smoother than my Sailor EF.

My overall impression is that this really is a pretty decent pen.  Have not had it long enough to do any long-term analysis.  I would recommend to anyone seeking a good everyday pen with much better ink capacity than a cartridge/converter filler.  It may not be the flashiest, but it puts ink on paper, and sometimes that's all you need.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Sponsored Content

#2 PhatMan

PhatMan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:43

Seeksadvice,

I don't have a Twsbi 580 but do have a Twsbi Vac 700 with the 1.5mm 'stub' Jowo nib.

I use both Kiwa Guro and Sei Boku as my mainstay inks, and touch wood, have had no problems with my Twsbi Vac 700 and the Jowo nib.

(NOTE : I did however have chronic flow problems when the Vac700 had the Bock nib in place - and not just with the Sailor nano-inks either - all of my inks :( )

Good luck !

Have fun :)

Best regards

Russ

#3 Blazing

Blazing

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 14:27

The TWSBI 580 wasn't designed to be posted.

EDC Pens (in a Visconti Dreamtouch 3 Pen Case):

Pelikan M600 (Stresemann Blue, 14k gold EF nib) inked with J. Herbin Perle Noire

Sailor 1911 Standard (black, 21k gold MF nib) inked with Sailor Kiwa-Guro

#4 ajha1970

ajha1970

AKJ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 16:28

I am facing ink flow problem with vac 700, any advise.

#5 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Forum Squirrel

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2013 - 19:14

I am facing ink flow problem with vac 700, any advise.

First, try unscrewing the top: it has a mechanism that seals it. If this doesn't work, try pulling it out a tiny fraction further (and I do mean a fraction). This worked for me with most inks.

Finally, change the ink you are using. I discovered that my favorite ink (Noodler's Black) just doesn't let bubbles float up from the feed into the rest of the chamber. It must be too viscous or something. Other blacks (including other Noodler's blacks) are not a problem.

As to the OP: I've never had trouble with Noodler's Black in a 540. I have yet to try a 580, but I believe ink flow is the same in these pens. It is a very saturated ink. I use lots of Noodler's inks with no problem. I never tried the Sailor Kiwa-Guro nano ink in my TWSBI. I tried it in another pen, but didn't like its look on paper and the effort required to clean it out of the pen (though I liked the inky smell). I believe its behavior in your pen may because it is different from most inks. The pigment particles have to remain suspended, and may simply not be attracted to the walls of the pen as part of remaining suspended. 

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#6 peter57

peter57

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:36

I just received a TWSBI 580 with a juicy broad nib a week ago from the good people at Goulet Pen Company, and I must admit, it's hard to put down. 

I loaded it with Noodler's Gruene Cactus and wow!  Great shading, super smooth writer, looks great...love the chunky, industrial design.  It's a keeper.  I can't wait to try it with some J . Herbin Rouge Hematite.

Sponsored Content

|