An Enthusiast’s Collection – Part 2

pavoni

Meisterstuck clips 1936-1954

Here we have the classic Meisterstuck (tie) clip as introduced in 1935 and in production until 1948/9. Whilst your Meisterstuck 138, 136, 134 and 132 ought to come with this stylish clip, one can sometime find a replacement clip, particularly the fluted clip.

fpn_1376709185__dscf8288_zps07f66daa.jpg

Not much can beat a line up of Meisterstuck clips :thumbup:

fpn_1376709330__dscf8296_zps29c7f336.jpg

MB L139, 138, 136, 134, 132

Then of course we have the interesting ‘transitional’ pens, where one should find either of the clips below, the one on the left - known as a prismatic clip - is unique to the 136 and 134.

fpn_1376709509__dscf8307_zps3971623d.jpg

MB 136 transitional and 134 transitional

On the issue of transitional pens, it is important to remember when a particular pen was likely to be in production and when it was being phased out. Therefore, mindful of the timeline for these piston-fillers, we know that the MB L139, 136 and 134 were the only pens of the Meisterstuck line to drift towards the 1950s and as such, we should only really see real transitional pens from these three pens, in particular the 136 and 134 models, replaced as they were in 1949.

For me personally, a transitional pen is one which is influenced by the pen coming into production to replace it, rather than a pen made up with replacement parts, the exception being nibs, cap bands and clips. I am not so sure that a barrel or whole cap replacement is anything other than a repaired pen :blush:

The Meisterstuck clip was replaced for the 14# series pens

fpn_1376709720__dscf8303_zpsc648d79d.jpg

MB 149, 146, 144 and 142

Montblanc 2nd tier clips 1935-1954

Below we have the classic MB fluted clip, which was introduced in 1934 for the 2nd tier pens 236, 235, 234, 234 1/2, and 232. These clips can also be found as a replacement for earlier clips, and on the Meisterstuck pens.

fpn_1376709938__dscf8286_zps54c65814.jpg

Group shot of Fluted clips

fpn_1376710008__dscf8299_zps94368ca1.jpg

MB 236, 235, 234, 234 1/2, and 232.

The fluted clip was replaced around 1948/9 for the 24# series with a spaded type clip

fpn_1376710241__dscf8304_zps91a1e8ff.jpg

MB 246, 244, 242

Montblanc 3rd tier clips 1935-1954

Below we have the typical 3rd tier clip, which was introduced in 1935. Most pen manufacturers had a pretty generic clip for their economy/student pens and as such, this clip is purposefully styled to offer the slightest differentiation, what with Montblanc having ceased branding their clips with the legend ‘Montblanc’ in 1934.

fpn_1376710369__dscf8290_zps105eb79f.jpg

fpn_1376710454__dscf8300_zps7ca3cdc5.jpg

MB 334, 334 1/2, 333 1/2, and 332 Spot the odd one out?

This particular clip was replaced in 1949 for the 34# series pens and a rather non-descript clip :(

fpn_1376710540__dscf8305_zps01f3923b.jpg

MB 344 (very) early edition, 342 early edition, 344 late edition, 342 late edition.

Other clips

The teardrop clip is a particular favourite of mine. Rosler (page iv) tells us that these stylish clips were in production from 1930. It isn’t unexpected therefore to find such a clip on the very early piston-fillers of 1935, namely the MB 235 and 334. If you are manage to come across one of these pens with a tall cap and teardrop clip, consider yourself very lucky indeed.

Unfortunately these lovely clips were prone to the teardrop breaking off and as such was replaced in 1934 with the fluted clip.

fpn_1376710638__dscf8284_zpsc552dda4.jpg

Finally on clips, I have three others in my collection. Well in truth, only one sits on a pen that is part of my vintage MB collection. The clip on the right-hand side of the picture below is to be found on 3rd tier pens. It is a generic clip and I am not altogether sure that it is an actual MB clip...maybe, maybe not. Those with decent eyesight ought to be able to differentiate this clip from the previously mentioned 3rd tier clip. It is much heavier in look and feel and often quite dull in appearance. The middle clip would be found on a wartime 3rd tier pen and is made of some form of cheap alloy as it is. Again, I have seen a few of these but I am not certain that it is a genuine MB part. Finally, on the left of the picture we have a treat. Probably MB’s rarest clip :puddle: and one I paid far too much for. No, I don’t have the pen to go with it....if only :crybaby: Can anyone guess which Montblanc pen this genuine and fantastic Montblanc clip belongs to?

fpn_1376710711__dscf8294_zps70bd9cbc.jpg

Other quick identifiers

Two quick points. Some new to collecting vintage MB pens, get a little confused when they see the outline of a MB star, rather than the traditional white star. Some refer to this as a black star, when in fact it is purposefully and merely the outline of the MB star. These outlined stars are found only on the 3rd tier piston fillers and then only up until 1950(ish). You will find your sales catalogues of the time clearly depicting the 33# series and accompanying pencil (Pix 92) with an outlined star.

fpn_1376710983__dscf8312_zpsc6f67ae6.jpg

MB 334, 334 1/2 standard, 334 1/2 wartime, 333 1/2 standard, 333 1/2 wartime, 332 standard, 332 wartime, 92 Volkspix.

The first MB 344 and 342 also had outline stars and these were the very last to carry this mark. However, MB very quickly introduced another version of both the MB 344 and 342, with a new cap design carry its cap band at the very bottom (lip) of the cap and which had ‘MONTBLANC’ and the model number (344 or 342) inscribed.

The first MB 344 and 342 (with their outlined star) would have been made out of celluloid and as such would have an orange coloured ink-window. It would also have the model number embossed on the blind cap. The new version 344 had its model number on its cap band and, as it was not made of celluloid, the pen had a blue (plastic) ink-window. Your pen with an orange ink-window is therefore older than your pen with a blue ink-window :thumbup:

fpn_1376711249__dscf8315_zps50896113.jpg

MB 344 early edition, 344 late edition.

Well, that’s all for now. Thank you very much for your time and I hope you have found these additional episodes of some use :)

Pavoni.

Edited by pavoni

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pavoni

• tenurepro

• Soot

• idazle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a wealth of information! impressive!

I second that!

Pavoni, you really do some great work around here :) !

This is starting to look like a real reference guide, hats off for once again a great write up!

Thank you Pavoni, for taking the time to compile this invaluable source of information and comparisons.

It's an incredible help. I don't know where the applause emoticon went, but my hat's off to you!

What a wealth of information! impressive!

Thank you very much Per. Much appreciated.

Pavoni.

I second that!

Pavoni, you really do some great work around here :) !

This is starting to look like a real reference guide, hats off for once again a great write up!

Very kind of you Chopper. I am grateful that you have taken the time to look in again and comment.

Pavoni.

Thanks again for the detailed info you have given us!

What a joy to start the day with.

You are so very kind to look in again KJY, and the fact that you have taken time to view and comment, is very much appreciated.

I saw from other posts that you managed to decipher your MB 134 ;)

Pavoni.

Dear Pavoni,

Thanks a lot for this complementary information on nibs and clips linked to the various pens, impressive !

I do hope the moderators will agree on pinning this post, extremely helpful!

Francis

Pavoni:

Your work is astounding! I know I have said this before, but I just want to thank you again for your time and effort. :notworthy1:

I agree with Francis. I hope the mods will consider pinning this!

Pavoni, I have just come across your new and outstanding contributions to this thread, which was already an outstanding thread. I am one of those vintage MB newbies who have caught the bug and also "teased" you with questions :D Seriously, this thread could not come more timely now that I'm starting to discover the huge puzzle of nibs, caps, clips, etc. that make up most vintage MB pens to be found in the marketplace. Apparently, pens which parts are all coherent among each others -like those in your colection- are the exception more than the rule.

Now, after reading your latest brilliant contributions, I would like to test myself with a couple of examples and see if I have managed to get things rigth.

The first "case-study" is my own MB 332:

fpn_1374410369__022bis.jpg

fpn_1374410568__019bis.jpg

From what you have explained in the posts above, the clip of the pen is the right one for this model, but the nib hasn't a "2" stamped on it. It looks like the nib seen in your pic for the 342 pen. Does it mean that the nib is a replacement or rather that this 332 is a late model which shared nib with the new 34x pens of the early fifties. According to Rosler (p. IX) the 332 was produced in 1939-1948. However it appears in a 1950 catalogue in English for the foreign market along with some 24x models:

fpn_1376766997__en_1950.jpg

It's difficult to judge from the picture, but the nib on the 332 does not seem to have a number surrounded by a circle stamped on it, as one would expect from early 332 nibs.

My second study case concerns a 234 1/2 luxury pen featured in the Penboard.de site:

fpn_1376767486__luxury.jpg

If I got the lesson right, this pen does not sport the right nib, but rather one from the 33x series. Am I correct?

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

These are very informative and pleasant to the eye cycle of lectures. :happyberet:
Thanks for sharing knowledge.

regards

Dear konis, I have been watching with both excitement and envy at some of the pens you have recently added to your collection and as such, I am very grateful for your comments. :)

Pavoni.

Dear Pavoni,

Thanks a lot for this complementary information on nibs and clips linked to the various pens, impressive !

I do hope the moderators will agree on pinning this post, extremely helpful!

Francis

Dear :notworthy1: Francis, :notworthy1: I am honoured that have taken the time to visit and comment. Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Pavoni.

Pavoni:

Your work is astounding! I know I have said this before, but I just want to thank you again for your time and effort. :notworthy1:

I agree with Francis. I hope the mods will consider pinning this!

Hi logantrky,

The fact that people, such as your good self, have seen fit to return again and again to this thread, is reward enough for my humble effort. I hope I can continue to add value to it.

Pavoni :thumbup:

Thank you Pavoni, for taking the time to compile this invaluable source of information and comparisons.

It's an incredible help. I don't know where the applause emoticon went, but my hat's off to you!

And I take my hat off to you too paloma my friend, for taking the time to so generously express your appreciation. Thank you very much. :)

Pavoni.

Very detailed analysis Pavoni. About the clips, throwing in one more iteration, I got a Danish made #6 Coral button filler and the tear drop clip has a different script orientation...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3686/9534127478_7a8166f2bc_z.jpg
The M from Montblanc starts at the cap top end, unlike your teardrop clip with the M starting at the cap band end. Out of the 5 tear drop clips I got, I have 2 with this orientation and 3 with yours...

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

Pavoni, I have just come across your new and outstanding contributions to this thread, which was already an outstanding thread. I am one of those vintage MB newbies who have caught the bug and also "teased" you with questions :D Seriously, this thread could not come more timely now that I'm starting to discover the huge puzzle of nibs, caps, clips, etc. that make up most vintage MB pens to be found in the marketplace. Apparently, pens which parts are all coherent among each others -like those in your colection- are the exception more than the rule.

Now, after reading your latest brilliant contributions, I would like to test myself with a couple of examples and see if I have managed to get things rigth.

The first "case-study" is my own MB 332:

fpn_1374410369__022bis.jpg

fpn_1374410568__019bis.jpg

From what you have explained in the posts above, the clip of the pen is the right one for this model, but the nib hasn't a "2" stamped on it. It looks like the nib seen in your pic for the 342 pen. Does it mean that the nib is a replacement or rather that this 332 is a late model which shared nib with the new 34x pens of the early fifties. According to Rosler (p. IX) the 332 was produced in 1939-1948. However it appears in a 1950 catalogue in English for the foreign market along with some 24x models:

fpn_1376766997__en_1950.jpg

It's difficult to judge from the picture, but the nib on the 332 does not seem to have a number surrounded by a circle stamped on it, as one would expect from early 332 nibs.

My second study case concerns a 234 1/2 luxury pen featured in the Penboard.de site:

fpn_1376767486__luxury.jpg

If I got the lesson right, this pen does not sport the right nib, but rather one from the 33x series. Am I correct?

Dear idazle, thank you very much for your kind comments as always :)

Thank you for presenting a couple of case studies. This is exactly as I had imagined my thread to be used. By exploring such cases together, with the opportunity for others to pitch in, we all increase our knowledge and therefore our enjoyment of these fabulous pens. :thumbup:

I must say at the outset that I agree with your findings :D For the benefit of anyone new looking in my reason for agreeing is as follows:

Case 1 - MB 332

Clip

Perfect for this 3rd tier pen.

Nib

The nib is from the later MB 342.

The MB 332 was in production from 1939 until at least 1948 (Rosler). The first 342 was supposedly introduced in 1950 (Andreas Lambrou) or 1951/52 ('Collectible Stars').

I have the same catalogue that you have shown idazle. As well as your 332, the catalogue shows a MB 136 and 134 transitional as well as the new 244 and 242 and as such, adds to your position that your nib is appropriate for your pen, given the transition period. Incidentally, I have blown up the relevant page to 300% and I would say that the nib pictured on the 332, whilst still difficult to make out, is the same as yours. Your nib therefore is not wrong unless you wanted an early model. Your pen either came with the nib, in which case your pen is from the date of the catalogue or alternatively, the nib is a modern replacement for an older steel nib or a lost gold one.

I have a three versions of this pen and each has the size 2 nib:

fpn_1376777911__dscf8322_zps3bc03b6b.jpg

MB 332 early edition, 332 later edition, 332 wartime edition.

fpn_1376778017__dscf8325_zps7d4502d1.jpg

MB 332 x 3 uncapped.

We can see from my three MB 332s below that two have steel nibs.

fpn_1376778105__dscf8327_zps5aa295ab.jpg

In addition to one of the pens having a different coloured ink window, one has a different piston-filler knob!

fpn_1376778746__dscf8318_zps899049a3.jpg

Here we can see a 1939 Montblanc sales catalogue showing the new models available, including our 332 (3rd down) complete with the size 2 nib.

fpn_1376778926__dscf8330_zpsb372b93c.jpg

In Jens Rosler's follow up book with Stefan Wallrafen 'Collectible Stars', page 30 shows both the 332 and 342. Curiously, whilst it is impossible to see the nib on the 332, the 342 carries the same size 2 nib as on my pens!

On a separate note, you will observe from the MB catalogue of 1939, which naturally shows an example of the first 332, that it has just one cap band! I only have one such cap among my 3rd tier 33# pens and that is on my 333 1/2. Both Rosler's MB Diary and Collectible Stars show the 332 with two cap bands. We now have the advantage of being able to pin point the date for a MB 332 with a single cap band, the correct clip and a size 2 nib as very likely being 1939 :thumbup:

Edit - I have just checked an Italian MB repair catalogue from the 1950s, courtesy of Tom Westerich, and page 53 and 54 show not only a size 2 nib as a replacement part for the 332 but also shows the replacement cap barrel as having two cap bands!

Case 2 - MB 234 1/2 Luxury

Nib

OK, whilst I would hardly think myself qualified to argue with the excellent people on the Penboard.de, on this occasion I am persuaded by Rosler's note on this particular nib, which is that this is a 3rd tier nib and as such..........well, nice one idazle :D

Pavoni.

Edited by pavoni

Hi sunnerd,

Thank you for your note on the orientation of the legend on the teardrop clip. I have checked through all the pages showing examples of pens with the teardrop clip in both Rosler and Holten & Lund ('Montblanc in Denmark 1914-1992') and it seems that what you are finding is typical. Both orientations existed in Germany and Denmark.

Interesting :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Pavoni,

This is like an online reference guide for vintage MB (piston-filler) you are doing here! A real treasure trove for the vintage MB collectors! Thank you!

As for that clip, what does it belong to? I recall seeing it before, but can't register on what.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

excellent job pavoni :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Pavoni,

This is like an online reference guide for vintage MB (piston-filler) you are doing here! A real treasure trove for the vintage MB collectors! Thank you!

As for that clip, what does it belong to? I recall seeing it before, but can't register on what.

Many thanks Soot. Kind as always :)

Ha, ha, the mysterious clip is from the MB 124 E series and is only found on that pen and the accompanying pencil. Take a look at Max's site at maxpens.de and again at the fountainpen.de site. ;)

Pavoni.

Wow !

I appreciate it Sblakers :thumbup:

Pavoni.

excellent job pavoni :thumbup:

Many thanks for your continual support Georges. I very much appreciate it. :D

Pavoni.