At THE LAS VEGAS PEN POSSE, we have discussed the "rules" we each have for choosing which ink belongs in which pen.
One of my fellow TLVPP has always had the most elaborate guidelines .... I'm sure he'll jump in and correct my misunderstandings ....
- Match brand of pen with brand of ink ... Pelikan ink goes in Pelikan pens.
- Match color of ink with barrel of pen ... Pelikan Amber ink goes in the Pelikan Tortoise.
- When you cannot meet Rule 1, then choose by country....
- German inks can go in a German Pen ... So MB ink can go in a Pelikan Pen.
- If you can't match by country, then try and match by continent or trade zone. So if you count MB is Austrian not German, it can still go in a Pelikan pen.
- BUT try and follow the WWII Axis / Allied alliances....
- Herbin ink does not go into Aurora pens
- AND keep the war theaters differentiated....
- Sailor ink does not go in Pelikan pens. Pelikan ink does not go into Sailor Pens.
Now, I would have said that I don't have any hard and fast rules, but I've recently been proven wrong. My beloved teenage daughter had an opportunity to flirt with a cute teenage boy. I'm a good mommy, I made the opportunity available to them and compensated them for their efforts. They were tasked with the "fun" job of refilling all my already clean fountain pens. I picked out the colors and had them fill while I was in a meeting. Much to my surprise, strange inks ended up in my pens. Well, not strange so much as unexpected. Seems I had some rules that I had not articulated.
So, most of my pens are TWSBIs so my ink selection process should be simpler than Xxxxx's, right?
- Never mix inks in the original bottles. If you dip the pen in, only use that ink.
- If it's a Vac 700, then it should be filled with one of the inks from the Vac 20 bottle.
- Except the Amber Vac - gets Pelikan Amber ink.
- The ROC should only get Red or Blue Ink.
- The Gold Sheaffer ladies calligraphy pen always gets some sort of leafy green ink.
- The 540 with the Pendleton Nib always gets a great shader in blue or green.
- The Yellow 540s get orange, red or yellow inks.
- The Smoke 540s get dark colors (Sherwood Green, Deep Burgundy, Dark Purple).
- The Blue 540s and Blue Pelikan get blue inks.
- The Namiki capless gets J Herbin Anniversary ink.
So, at the end of the adventure ...
- Noodler's Catalpa was the only fatality - they both ended up covered in the ink, but neither of them had the fingerprints of the other party, so they both lived.
- Neither teenager could figure out how to fill the Vacs.
- The ROC ended up with Liberty Elysium (only because I stopped them from a dreadful fill of PR Avocado ... the horror!)
- The Gold Sheaffer was filled with Levenger Amethyst. (I didn't remember giving them that bottle).
- The 540 with the Pendleton nib ended up filled with MB racing green.
- The blue 540s ended up with Dragon's Napalm, Edelstein Amber and Diamine Syrah. (red / gold colors)
- The yellow 540s ended up with Manhattan Blue, a Pilot Iro blue/turquoise and Catalpa (bluish inks)
- The smoke 540s ened up with the Herbin Ann Ink, PR Avocado and the blue Pelikan M200 was filled with MB Diamond.
- The Namiki was filled with my beloved bloody orange.
As you can imagine, I was so confused when I went to doodle.
So, what are your rules for loading up your pens with inks?