Steel City Nibs Meeting In Pittsburgh, Pa

Uncle Red

We're meeting again on Wed, 5/15 at 7PM at the Panera in Bakery Square. PM me with questions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Laertides

• Zoe

• Uncle Red

Next meeting is on Tuesday, 5/28, at 7 PM. At the moment it'll be at Panera at Bakery Square. The theme of the meeting will be basic resacking which will be organized by Troy. We will be showing off pens and generally chatting too. I may find another place for us but I'll post about that if I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to miss this meeting as I won't be in Pittsburgh until the weekend (31 May). However, I wonder if the Pittsburgh Group know of a local pen shop that might tweak my Waterman pen nib while I am there (not a modification).

Thanks.

• 11 months later...

I realize this topic hasn't been touched in a while, but I'm wondering if there are any plans in the works for a Pittsburgh meet up any time soon.

Anyone have any ideas?

Each man delights in the work that suits him best.

-The Odyssey - Homer

Not sure quite what happened last fall. It seemed like suddenly a lot of people had an attack of life. Ironically, trying to get info about the group to start with a couple of years ago was how I ended up on FPN in the first place. The first meeting I went to there were a whole lot of people at (I didn't get a lot of peoples' names, and I think a lot of those people didn't come back after the first night). Towards the end, it was me, Red and (sometimes) Alan. The last meeting I went to was I think in September or early October.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, I for one would be interested in getting together with some people to geek out over pens, and I know at least one more person who'd be in.

Shall we try to get that in the works?

-The Odyssey - Homer

I'm not a full timer in Pittsburgh but visit regularly and have no group closer to home. I will be in Pittsburgh, again, in July, if anyone wants to meet up and share some pen-mania.

Alright, well if I said, for instance, let's try to get a group together for Saturday 5/24 or 5/31, say around 4 p.m., would that work for people? Short notice, I know, but I for one am flexible.

As far as location goes, Bakery Square is quite convenient for me, I'm in Highland Park, but I'm also able and willing to get pretty much anywhere in the area.

Who's in?

-The Odyssey - Homer

I'm interested - in NE Ohio and Pittsburg seems like the nearest group. Earlier in the day would be better given the drive, though.

i lived on swissvale ave in pgh. and is there ever erie group too ?

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

Well, I'm just catching up to this thread, so I'm not sure about the 24th yet. A friend of me is on the phone blathering on while on speaker and I'm trying to catch up on about a week's worth of new content. I may try (at least it's not the 25th, when I have a prior commitment). I think the 24th is better for than the 31st for me, though, because my anniversary is the day before.

I will keep following this thread, and will try to remember to bring down the new stash to show off if and when stuff gets scheduled.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

So. I pretty much dropped the ball vis-a-vis last week and this. I can still do tomorrow, if you guys are available, but I know it's pretty late notice. Maybe we could try for some time in June? I'm free most evenings, though it seems like earlier in the afternoon might be better for at least a couple of people. Saturday around midday works, though, so what works? To give people more time to prepare, maybe later in the month? The 21st or 29th?

What do we think?

-The Odyssey - Homer

Well, as it turns out I got back into town sooner than expected today (5/31). But obviously I missed your post (could have logged on here last night in the hotel, but was looking something up instead (and yes, pen related B)).

AFAIK, the 21st and 29th of June are okay for me. At least for the time being. As for through the week, Monday evenings are out (choir). Wednesdays are almost always bad (but occasionally it's Thursdays instead of Wednesdays, and I often don't know until that week; but since it's going out to dinner with people (there's a regular crew, co-ordinated by the guy who was my husband's best man, but it's not a hardship if I know far enough in advance to say "Steve 'yes' this week, but me 'no').

So. Should I try to head out to Panera in a bit, in the hopes that anyone will be there? Or assume that it's a lost cause for May, and do a couple of loads of laundry instead? Because I have TOYS! Including a couple of things I picked up in antiques malls yesterday and this morning, while doing the random "Hey it's our anniversary, let's go do something" mini-vacation.... :thumbup:

Oh, and as a heads up, people who work in antiques malls often don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.... Fortunately, I had my iPad with me and was in the hotel room last night going "Well, THAT can't be right.... Hey, hand me my purse so I can have a better look at that pen. Oh, it's *that*, okay, now I'm in the right ballpark...." (Should have known better, since the hackle -- for processing flax before spinning -- was labeled as a wool comb, and the woman in the place sort of blew me off....)

• 3 weeks later...

So. It's June 19th (okay, only a little bit). What's the status on a meeting/get together? I'd kinda like to know before that last minute if I have weekend plans....

I'm new to the forum (I spend most of my time over at fpgeek.com) but I would be interested in meeting up. I live in Monaca but I'm usually around the South Hills on Sundays. The 29 of June would be good for me in the afternoon.

-Michael

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Hominem unius libri timeo." - Saint Thomas Aquinas

I'm new to the forum (I spend most of my time over at fpgeek.com) but I would be interested in meeting up. I live in Monaca but I'm usually around the South Hills on Sundays. The 29 of June would be good for me in the afternoon.

-Michael

:W2FPN:

I was just up your way last week -- a friend of mine needed to check out the Lodge in Brady's Run Park and hadn't been there before, and then we had lunch in the Eat n Park Rt. 18 in Monaca (near where the Lowes is). Then I was up at the park again on Wednesday evening at a picnic.

Sundays aren't ideal for me (I usually do laundry on Sundays) but they're doable, if I know it's worth my time. I live in the North Hills, about 5 miles from downtown Pittsburgh, so it's roughly a half hour drive for me to Bakery Square, depending on traffic. Weekends in July and early August get very iffy for me, though. Of course, this past week evenings were even worse.... I think next week I'm only booked on Monday and Wednesday evening. At least so far....

I did try to show up for the proposed meeting last month but couldn't find anyone (I didn't see the post by Laertides in time); I wanted to post something like "I'll be the woman with the fountain pen...." :lticaptd:

So. It's now June 27th. What's the verdict? Anyone showing up either tomorrow or Sunday? I wanna show off all the toys I've gotten since last fall, plus I can bring the Diamine Flower Collection set I got for Christmas (haven't even tried all the colors myself, yet...).

Do I haul the stash down to Bakery Square? Or do I spend Sunday afternoon watching the same bad movies at my friend's house that I've seen 3 times before (I swear, nearly every time I go over there she's got the TV on and it's either an Marvel Comics movie or _Prince of Persia_...), while my husband and I attempt to convince her that she always serves way too much food, and no, a quart of ice cream is MORE than sufficient for three people, and that in fact a PINT of ice cream is more than sufficient. Really....

Much rather be playing with pens....