Experience With Pilot's Wa Nib?

gylyf

Hi, everyone. I'm considering the purchase of a Custom Heritage 912 with a WA nib, and I was hoping someone might tell me a little bit more about the nib in question. I'm particularly interested in comparisons to Pilot's usual M nibs.

I've already checked out the videos and descriptions located here (http://www.asahiyakami.co.jp/shop/pilot_custom743/pilot_custom743.htm), but I'd love to hear about people's actual experiences with this nib.

Thanks!

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• akafridi3

• gylyf

• xpresso

• Ink Blotto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love the nib

Large sweet spot, very smooth with a little feedback

Writes Japanese medium, normal Fine

Feels like a very good vintage Sheaffer or Parker

(mine is a #10 on a 742)

• 1 year later...

Hi I gave this nib to a friend of mine who is a lefty overwriter. It's a very smooth nib with big sweetspot. Indeed a Medium. The nib is very good at "pushing" which lefty's often do. It became her daily writer. The combo with Iroshizuku ink is super smooth .

Nakaya Dorsal Fin II Broad Mottishaw Cursive Italic, Pilot Bamboo Fine, Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Music, Sailor PG Demonstrator MF, Sailor 1911 Cross Music, Pilot Capless LE 2007 Orange M, Platinum 3776 Nice LE Fine.

My next pen purchase will probably be a Custom Heritage 912 with a Wa nib. I am a big fan of the old Sheaffer Snorkel nibs which used the same basic design as the Pilot Wa nib.

I have a Custom 742 with a WA nib, and I'll echo the others: it's very smooth, with a large sweet spot.

When I write with it, it's a little broader than a standard Pilot medium nib, but still finer than a standard broad nib. I think of it as a medium-broad.

Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on ink, paper, and writing method.

Edited by rutherfordr

Scientia potentia est.

It's become my favorite nib. I'll echo what everyone else has said: it has a large sweet spot and is smooth, with a hint of feedback. I've found that the line width varies depending on the angle of the pen. I'll get a scan up shortly.

post-903-0-56562000-1423063827_thumb.jpeg

Edited by cellulophile

I had one briefly. I ended up swapping for a M because I felt somehow "disconnected" from my writing experience due to the upturn in the nib. It wasn't a bad feeling, and I would have gotten used to it, but I love Pilot M nibs so went with what I knew. As others have said, it has a forgiving sweet spot. Mine wrote a very smooth FM line north-south, and a M line with pleasant feedback east-west.

An 823 with WA sounds very nice! I didn't know that Pilot could ship a 823 with a #15 WA nib..

Nakaya Dorsal Fin II Broad Mottishaw Cursive Italic, Pilot Bamboo Fine, Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Music, Sailor PG Demonstrator MF, Sailor 1911 Cross Music, Pilot Capless LE 2007 Orange M, Platinum 3776 Nice LE Fine.

An 823 with WA sounds very nice! I didn't know that Pilot could ship a 823 with a #15 WA nib..

special order its normally the retailer end that does the nib swap not straight from Pilot if you remember goulet doing the same thing with the Lamy nibs Edited by Algester

I've got a Custom 743 with a WA nib. It's pretty wet, M to almost B width, and very smooth. Lefty underwriter, and there is not problem at all with pushing strokes while writing.

Mine also had a case of baby bottom which I really ought to deal with. Other than that, it's quite nice to use, especially with a good shading ink.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the 823 with WA nib and it writes very well. I was trying to put up some pictures, but cannot figure out how to do it on this website. If anyone can help, thanks.

Did you order that from Quill in Japan? I want one badly and that's the only place I've found the 823 with Waverly nib.

IB

In reply to Ink Blotto ...... I bought my 823/WA from Quill ...... they provided an excelent pre-sale service, answering my questions and provided a video letting me sight the differences in writing performance between the M and WA nibs; for a time I was flipping between these two..... I finally settled on the WA and have no regrets. I chose the Amber body 823, it was checked before shipment to the UK; additionally, they undertook to set up the nib/feed to my preference; I like them wet. Currently its on a diet on Sailor's Oku-Yama, a great match up.

All in all an excellent service; the pen arrived within 14 days of shipment from Japan..... it was perfect out of the box. Can recommend Quill; this 823/WA was my second 823 purchase from them. BTW ..... their Iro ink prices are competitive.

Regards, Falcon