84 replies to this topic

#1 Admin

Admin

The FPN Admin Team

• Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 14:42

Dearest Members & Visitors to the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

As you are all aware by now, while we were trying to defeat the redirects, we upgraded our Board Software to the latest version.

The main reason for this was to add a few more layers of security, and get better support. We were planning an update anyway, but the recent problems put this upgrade on the high speed track.

The biggest loss right now is our beautiful skin set, as those haven't been ported yet to this new version of the software, so in the mean time we will have to make do with this, although we will see whether we can find a few temporary replacements as well.

Because of the speed with which this was implemented, and because we didn't want to keep FPN too long out of the air, some of the features are likely not working 100% yet, and we still have a few aesthetic and configuration issues. Those we will all solve while the board is online, over the next few weeks - the main functionalities do work.

We are also still working on Classifieds: the images do not show up automatically. Essentially each Classified needs to be edited, and then saved. A simple set of two steps, but rather time consuming. Of course, anybody who has listed anything in Classifieds can help out here as well, by just doing those two steps for each of their own classifieds.

We are all new to the rejuvenated interface, but please, feel free to ask any questions on how to do or work things in Members Helping Members, and post any improvements you can think of in Community Feedback. We won't be able necessarily to give an answer straight away, but we will, as usual, do our utmost to answer any questions as fast as possible.

Finally, least but certainly not last, we would really like to thank, from the bottom of our hearts, our Hosting Service Support Team at PowerVPS, with whom we could not have solved the problems we were encountering, and who have been friendly, helpful, very responsive and supporting throughout this episode, working 24/7, as well as the team at Invision, who jumped in to try and help us upgrade and secure the site even further, working through the night, and being very responsive too. We also would like to thank all of our pen friends, who offered comfort, solace, and a helping hand throughout this strenuous episode - it was very, very much appreciated. 

Without all of you, this wouldn't have been possible. Thank you!

And to all our members and visitors: we do hope you will all enjoy the new looks of FPN!

Warmest regards,
The FPN Admin and Moderator Team

This account is unmanaged.
Please direct questions and comments to FPN Admin email, or directly to admin Wim (wimg).

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards,
The FPN Admin Team

#2 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,737 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 15:59

And let us not forget to thank a certain Admin, who spend about 72 hours of his own time, for free, in executing these monstrous tasks.

Well done Wim. :thumbsup:

D.ick

The FPN-Stipula LE 2011 and 2012, too .:

....GOT THEM!!!!!!

#3 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,355 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 16:11

Yes!  Hear hear!  And without much sleep either.

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#4 gentlyom

gentlyom

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 16:17

Many thanks for the hugr and outstanding effort to keep the board safe and clean!! I am so glad the board is back on again. I quite enjoy the new look!!

#5 Pterodactylus

Pterodactylus

Gimme Flex

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:15

I'm glad to See FPN back online and hope all problems are solved now.
Thanks for our engagement and work. :)

#6 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:24

Thank-you for the dedication and time spent solving these problems!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#7 seffrican

seffrican

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:36

I'm concerned to see how much slower FPN is now. It was slower than most forums before, but is now slower than anything. Is there any optimisation that could be carried out on the server side to alleviate the performance issues.

And before anyone says it, yes, I'm on a decently fast connection, and I'm not seeing any slowdown on other forums I frequent.

The Multiquote buttons seem to be nonfunctional as well (they were before, but I hoped that the new version would fix that).

"Qui plume a, guerre a." - Voltaire

#8 MadAmos

MadAmos

Radioactive

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:41

For me it seems faster and I am on a medium slow DSL connection and a 801n wireless connection.

And thanks to all who put in so much time to keep the forum running smoothly and safely.  :bunny01:  :notworthy1:

I'm concerned to see how much slower FPN is now. It was slower than most forums before, but is now slower than anything. Is there any optimisation that could be carried out on the server side to alleviate the performance issues.

And before anyone says it, yes, I'm on a decently fast connection, and I'm not seeing any slowdown on other forums I frequent.

The Multiquote buttons seem to be nonfunctional as well (they were before, but I hoped that the new version would fix that).

Edited by MadAmos, 27 April 2013 - 17:43.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.
Albert Einstein

#9 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• Member - Gold

• 9,704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:50

I am -- as we all are -- extremely happy and thankful that you (and your colleagues) have spent so much time fixing everything, but everything, here in the forum.

I haven't yet looked at any of the subforums to see what's been added since because that is for me, yes, secondary.

Without you, I couldn't survive!!!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#10 LagNut

LagNut

Mint

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:51

1) right now, to me, FPN seems pretty perky.  I'm wondering how much delay is your provider doing the necessary work to build the defenses.  I'm actually not seeing any great delays out here, and I've got a reasonably fast internet connection...

2) I actually like the look of FPN now.  Clean, simple.  I liked it before, I like it now.

#11 Pterodactylus

Pterodactylus

Gimme Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,839 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:53

The "My Content" seems not to work.
After pressing it I get the:

Search is not enabled on the community at this time.

#12 opus7600

opus7600

Neophiliac

• Member - Gold

• 1,081 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:03

I just came to say I *love* the irony of the guy who likes the new interface quadruple posting his opinion.

#13 Pterodactylus

Pterodactylus

Gimme Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,839 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:06

For me the forum feels currently also unusable slow.
Posting a message take several Minutes, opening a thread is not much faster.
Hope this is only temporary.

But visual looks very nice now, I think I like it optical more than before :)

#14 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• 5,268 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:14

Have to agree with the above. I put it down to teething probs but will keep an eye on it. Well done to all involved

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#15 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• Admin

• 18,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:17

We found a few causes why it might have been slow, and removed those. We'll have to monitor it for a while, I think.

Some of the add-ons are not as compatible as they are supposed to be or as they were, and in the upgrade a few things went missing as well, it appears.

It currently does feel better, but we'll have ot see if it stays that way.

We have asked for our server team to keep us monitored for now, and we have also created a support ticket with the software guys.

It was a big upgrade indeed, of a rather big board too :D.

There are people running a board with problems on a server 4 times the size of ours with no more than 800 people logged in at a time, so we are not doing too badly I think ;).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#16 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:19

I just came to say I *love* the irony of the guy who likes the new interface quadruple posting his opinion.

No longer ;).

We always like to help :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#17 basterma

basterma

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:24

Thanks for the effort.

#18 asiras

asiras

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:33

I would like to pass along great thanks for all of the work and effort put in on FPN.  When I went to it and got the "off-line" message, my first thought was that something bad had happened, but I also had the conviction that people were on it, things would get fixed when they could get fixed, and all, in time, would get sorted out.  I do not have this feeling on some other sites I frequent for interests that I have.  I have found that it is easy to live with some bugs and glitches when  underlying progress and improvement  can be expected.  

Once again, thank you - and if I can do anything to help,  I will.  asiras - a total supporter.

Edited by asiras, 27 April 2013 - 21:35.

#19 Pterodactylus

Pterodactylus

Gimme Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,839 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:36

Thanks for the performance improvements :)

Will the features:
- see if a person is currently online or not beside the avatar
- see who is currently viewing a thread

Be reactivated?

#20 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2013 - 22:45

Yes, once the problems are sorted. Those two options are resource eaters, which is why they are temporarily switched off.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#21 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 00:30

We've doen some more tweaking now, let's see how it goes this time :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#22 inkypete

inkypete

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,674 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 00:35

A couple of days without FPN is just not acceptable. Do you guys know what I have been through? Have you ever tried to get counselling at 1am in the morning? My wife just didn't care!!!!!! Thank God you're back.

On a more genuine note, well done to the folk who run the site. I love FPN and really miss it when it's down. Keep up the good work guys and thanks again.

Posted Image

#23 tomgartin

tomgartin

I'm not the big Lebowski.

• Member - Gold

• 950 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:07

Bravo! What a job! I hope people will feel compelled to reward such dedication by donating to FPN  :)

- - -

#24 sadiemagic

sadiemagic

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:14

Many, many thanks to Wim and all the moderators of our little Fountain Pen Nut House on the Prairie for all the hours and effort that went into resurrecting and upgrading FPN. I am so glad it's back! Lost skins? Not a huge deal, I am grateful it's back up and I really missed our virtual pen community! Thank you!
Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

#25 CS388

CS388

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,337 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:23

Well done, all. And thank you.

The missing skins? Dunno, I like this clean new look. Bright and efficient.

Fingers crossed for a clean, safe, future.

Thanks.

#26 DanF

DanF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,881 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:24

Still frustratingly slow for me, and I have a very fast connection. Thanks for the efforts of everyone involved, hope the speed improves.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

Posted Image

#27 dmourati

dmourati

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:50

I'm sorry but I need to ask what exactly is meant by "we were trying to defeat the redirects?"  I'm a computer engineer working in the field and I've never heard any technical problem described in this way.

Thanks.

#28 esterbex

esterbex

Rightly seasoned

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,772 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:11

I am not a computer anything, but apparently no matter what link was used to access FPN, one was re-directed to a titillating site totally unrelated to FPN.  

So the source had to be de-activated somehow, I guess.

I think that is also why we were asked to clean our DNS cache, etc., though I know nothing about how websites or their links work. Correct me anyone.

And thanks to everyone who gave considerable effort and resources to get our fix restored! 

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time. ~~Larry Brown

#29 wimg

wimg

• Admin

• 18,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:35

Yes. What happened was that there appeared a second set of name servers for FPN on April 23, quite unasked for, and something that should have been impossible, which redirected to a malevolent site, which probably carried some malware deliberately, and which would spew out more redirects, to not so great sites.

So, if your internet browsing would take you, on your way here, past that server as one of the "internet stations" to FPN, you would get a redirect to a rather different place. Taking it out fortunately was not difficult, once we knew what and were it was (thanks to our great server and hosting support team at PowerVPS actually). The registrar helped us to fix this - well, they had to :D.

However, since a browser stores everything in cache and temp files, you would still have those bad links on your computer until you clean out cache and temp files, so it could in principle happen again until that has been done.

HTH, warn regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

#30 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:03

Still slightly slow, but definitely performing better. Hopefully I won't make any more double posts. (Thank-you to the moderator who removed my second post.)

The slowness definitely made the interface confusing.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!