Pilot Justus 95

troglokev

very interesting and unusual pen :thumbup: thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• troglokev

• Uncle Red

• ransky

<snip>

Wow, neat pen. I like the adjustable mechanism, it would be enough for a daily carry pen. A fine should show the variation best.

actually the adjuster changes only the nail vs soft feeling, the nib exhibits no perceptible line variation on my M example, a detailed review follows.

<snip>

That is a bit of info that I am very pleased that you addressed. I have been wondering about the line variation achievable with the Justus myself. Thanks!

<snip>

Wow, neat pen. I like the adjustable mechanism, it would be enough for a daily carry pen. A fine should show the variation best.

actually the adjuster changes only the nail vs soft feeling, the nib exhibits no perceptible line variation on my M example, a detailed review follows.

<snip>

That is a bit of info that I am very pleased that you addressed. I have been wondering about the line variation achievable with the Justus myself. Thanks!

there is more information about the M nib in the seperate review that i posted on this forum.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks for a great review and especially those written samples that show the pen's potential. In line variation it seems around my soft-fine Platinum 3667, so no real interest from me to buy it. I was kinda hoping that it would give a standard Pilot fine, switched to hard, and FA performance on the soft end. With improved feed to keep up the needed flow. Guess I'm demanding too much :-)

While we are at it, as I see from your comparison sample that you have FA also, would you mind sharing your opinion on that nib, please. Did you experience those often discussed problems with railroading? Is it constantly bothering or just occasionally annoying? Or you maybe managed to fix the feed?

While we are at it, as I see from your comparison sample that you have FA also, would you mind sharing your opinion on that nib, please. Did you experience those often discussed problems with railroading? Is it constantly bothering or just occasionally annoying? Or you maybe managed to fix the feed?

The FA was not really intended for Western style flex writing (it is only officially available in Japan), and yes, you do need to modify the feed to allow more flow than the original designers considered. Once that is done, it is a very nice nib, indeed.

I also reviewed the Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with FA nib here: [https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/195905-pilot-custom-heritage-912/?p=1982766]

The pen was as received, when I did the review. It railroads, but only when I pushed for extra variation.

There's a comparison at the end, between the nib relying on ink from the feed, and used dipped. You can see the potential variation of the nib, there.

measured just now with a new full cartridge in the pen: 24gms approximately.

the pen is bigger than a 74. more of 912/742 size and girth, section is longer than both.

HTH

Has anyone tried installing an FA nib in the Justus 95? They're both meant to be size 10 AFAIK.

I'd think that this would be a far better system, as the notches on the FA nib (as well as slightly thinner gold in that region) cause it to flex across very well-defined lines. The Justus ...adjuster... could conceivably cause significant change in the flex of an FA just by pushing down near the notched region.

That's the theory anyway. I don't have a Justus. For those who do, could this work??

Regards

Jack

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR

Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

logo%2520resize.jpg

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the great write up!

I just can't help but see this pen as gimmicky, especially considering the ridiculous price. I can't imagine paying more for this pen than for a resin Falcon.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

I just can't help but see this pen as gimmicky, especially considering the ridiculous price. I can't imagine paying more for this pen than for a resin Falcon.

Gimmick or not, it is a great pen that does yield a change in feel from rigid to soft.

The asking street price in Japan for the pen is 218USD. I think it is quite reasonable and the pen is very different in feel from a resin Falcon, which itself commands a street price of 130USD IIRC.

YMMV.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 8 months later...

Has anyone tried the FM nib option for this pen? I just got the F and I'm finding it just a bit too fine for my tastes. I saw some scans of a M nib writing and that one was too wide.

Flex? Mine only railroads...

At least I got it as a gift. Really good writer and smooth, though. The end product of the "flex" is all the same, but it is easier on 'Soft' than 'Hard'. I guess it would be easier to see on an F nib. M on 'Hard' is quite fine, although not as much as a real fine.

I know this is an old thread, but it seems to have been resurrected.

I got mine around Christmas 2013, and it quickly became one of my two favorite pens. (The other is a Pilot Custom 823.) The flex is nice. I suppose a purist would argue that it's not flex, and I'll concede that I can't get the kind of flex I get on my Noodler's Konrads, but it is just so easy to write with, and so much fun. Best of all, when I write with it, I forget I'm using a pen and focus on the writing. It's that good.

The OP's review brought up an interesting point: the "soft" setting was designed to feel like a brush pen. I am not a Japanese speaker, but I am trying to learn Chinese, which will have similar writing issues once I get into the characters. This may be my Chinese learning buddy!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!