Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Paper: Rhodia A4 lined
Ink: Pilot blue

Edited by troglokev, 23 April 2013 - 22:40.

#2 Inguz

Inguz

or something

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 22:59

Great review. Question, how is the action of the knob when you turn it? Is it stepped or smooth?
Thanks!

Edited by Inguz, 24 April 2013 - 14:55.

#3 troglokev

troglokev

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:56

Great review. Question, how is the action of the nob when you turn it? Is it stepped or smooth?
Thanks!

Smooth.

#4 Nikolaos

Nikolaos

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 13:56

Nice review! The pen looks great. I have the older version and agree with you. It's a very nice pen to use.

Nikolaos

#5 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,745 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2013 - 14:45

Nice! I am so patiently waiting for mine to arrive.

#6 troglokev

troglokev

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,598 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:22

To give some idea of the variation available, here's a comparison of the following pens:

• Pilot Custom 74 with a soft fine nib;

• Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with an FA nib

• Pilot Justus 95, adjusted to soft

• Pilot Justus 95, adjusted to hard.

fpn_1367126301__justus_8.jpg

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:19

Nice. I will be buying this pen, once Taizo starts auctioning them. BTW the pen is being offered in F/FM/M. Any inputs on which nib is the softest of the three? e.g. the SM nib on the 742 is softest IME of their S series.

#8 TMLee

TMLee

448 crafted ... one at a time ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,434 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:31

Interesting feature.

Thanks for the review.
Is <B> nib available?

Edited by TMLee, 28 April 2013 - 12:24.

#9 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:16

well it looks like the barley for me.
Very nice review of a very interesting pen

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#10 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2013 - 18:55

Interesting feature.

Thanks for the review.
Is <B> nib available?

Nope, No B.

#11 Pterodactylus

Pterodactylus

Gimme Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,839 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2013 - 20:59

gwu1.jpg

(Pelikan 140 - OF ..... Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün)

Edited by Pterodactylus, 18 July 2013 - 14:05.

#12 ransky

ransky

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:49

The advertising I've seen pegs the pen's weight at 50g, putting it on the heavy side. Is that right?  Thanks.

#13 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,454 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2013 - 17:02

Wow, neat pen. I like the adjustable mechanism, it would be enough for a daily carry pen. A fine should show the variation best.

#14 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 18:13

Was just reading a description by KeatsPhD, and your excellent review answered many questions.

Is it also comparable to the Custom 74 in size and weight too? (have the 74 sf and don't want to have near duplicate pens, though this nib sure looks interesting!).

Posted Image~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#15 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2013 - 18:21

The advertising I've seen pegs the pen's weight at 50g, putting it on the heavy side. Is that right?  Thanks.

measured just now with a new full cartridge in the pen: 24gms approximately.

Wow, neat pen. I like the adjustable mechanism, it would be enough for a daily carry pen. A fine should show the variation best.

actually the adjuster changes only the nail vs soft feeling, the nib exhibits no perceptible line variation on my M example, a detailed review follows.

Was just reading a description by KeatsPhD, and your excellent review answered many questions.

Is it also comparable to the Custom 74 in size and weight too? (have the 74 sf and don't want to have near duplicate pens, though this nib sure looks interesting!).

the pen is bigger than a 74. more of 912/742 size and girth, section is longer than both.

HTH

#16 tguk911

tguk911

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 20:56

Does anybody have this and the Pilot flacon metal or resin? I'd like to know if the Justus has the same amount of flex as the falcon or if it has less or possible more.

#17 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,454 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2013 - 22:54

Hari, I'm confused. 

The Fine nib on Troglokev's pen with a fine nib clearly shows line variation at the soft end of the dial (granted, not a lot). 

I said (in part) "A fine should show the variation best."

You responded with "actually the adjuster changes only the nail vs soft feeling, the nib exhibits no perceptible line variation on my M example, a detailed review follows." 

This confirms my point. Is that what you were saying?

#18 ransky

ransky

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 22:57

Hari, thank you for the weight. 24g seems much more reasonable.

#19 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:27

Hari, I'm confused. 

The Fine nib on Troglokev's pen with a fine nib clearly shows line variation at the soft end of the dial (granted, not a lot). 

I said (in part) "A fine should show the variation best."

You responded with "actually the adjuster changes only the nail vs soft feeling, the nib exhibits no perceptible line variation on my M example, a detailed review follows." 

This confirms my point. Is that what you were saying?

Hi, I don't know the nib width of Troglokev's pen. also Flex is very subjective as we know :) . So in my subjective opinion, with the amount of pressure I am willing to apply on the nib, I could see no line variation. The flow increases at the S end of the spectrum on my M nib. I think the FA nib gives a better line variation with same pressure variation.

FWIW, I also own a Resin Falcon with SB. I find it a totally non flex pen. it is a wonderful cushioned smooth wet writer, but not flex.

I think here also the case is same. whether you want your car suspension in sports mode or freeway cruise mode, the pen offers you the choice.

HTH.

#20 troglokev

troglokev

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,598 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 22:13

Hi, I don't know the nib width of Troglokev's pen. also Flex is very subjective as we know :) . So in my subjective opinion, with the amount of pressure I am willing to apply on the nib, I could see no line variation. The flow increases at the S end of the spectrum on my M nib. I think the FA nib gives a better line variation with same pressure variation.

FWIW, I also own a Resin Falcon with SB. I find it a totally non flex pen. it is a wonderful cushioned smooth wet writer, but not flex.

I think here also the case is same. whether you want your car suspension in sports mode or freeway cruise mode, the pen offers you the choice.

HTH.

My pen is a fine point. The Justus gives more variation than my soft fine Custom 74, but it is semi flex at best, in terms of variation. 

The primary intent of the adjustment is to modify the feel of the pen for people writing in Japanese. This matters more than you might think! This is also true of the FA nib, which needs the feed to be modified to cope with the flow requirements of calligraphic styles. 

The variation that you get is something of an unintended consequence, but it makes it quite a nice pen for western writing.  

#21 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 11,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:57

very interesting and unusual pen :thumbup: thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#22 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:27

<snip>

actually the adjuster changes only the nail vs soft feeling, the nib exhibits no perceptible line variation on my M example, a detailed review follows.

<snip>

That is a bit of info that I am very pleased that you addressed.  I have been wondering about the line variation achievable with the Justus myself.  Thanks!

NNSbadge.png

#23 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:01

<snip>

<snip>

That is a bit of info that I am very pleased that you addressed.  I have been wondering about the line variation achievable with the Justus myself.  Thanks!

there is more information about the M nib in the seperate review that i posted on this forum.

#24 pictogramax

pictogramax

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 15:35

Thanks for a great review and especially those written samples that show the pen's potential. In line variation it seems around my soft-fine Platinum 3667, so no real interest from me to buy it. I was kinda hoping that it would give a standard Pilot fine, switched to hard, and FA performance on the soft end. With improved feed to keep up the needed flow. Guess I'm demanding too much :-)

While we are at it, as I see from your comparison sample that you have FA also, would you mind sharing your opinion on that nib, please. Did you experience those often discussed problems with railroading? Is it constantly bothering or just occasionally annoying? Or you maybe managed to fix the feed?

#25 troglokev

troglokev

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,598 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:21

While we are at it, as I see from your comparison sample that you have FA also, would you mind sharing your opinion on that nib, please. Did you experience those often discussed problems with railroading? Is it constantly bothering or just occasionally annoying? Or you maybe managed to fix the feed?

The FA was not really intended for Western style flex writing (it is only officially available in Japan), and yes, you do need to modify the feed to allow more flow than the original designers considered. Once that is done, it is a very nice nib, indeed.

I also reviewed the Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with FA nib here: [http://www.fountainp...-912/?p=1982766]

The pen was as received, when I did the review. It railroads, but only when I pushed for extra variation.

There's a comparison at the end, between the nib relying on ink from the feed, and used dipped. You can see the potential variation of the nib, there.

#26 yutokicker

yutokicker

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2013 - 23:44

Very nice review. Thanks!

#27 Ytland

Ytland

The Swagman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:45

measured just now with a new full cartridge in the pen: 24gms approximately.

the pen is bigger than a 74. more of 912/742 size and girth, section is longer than both.

HTH

Has anyone tried installing an FA nib in the Justus 95? They're both meant to be size 10 AFAIK.

I'd think that this would be a far better system, as the notches on the FA nib (as well as slightly thinner gold in that region) cause it to flex across very well-defined lines. The Justus ...adjuster... could conceivably cause significant change in the flex of an FA just by pushing down near the notched region.

That's the theory anyway. I don't have a Justus. For those who do, could this work??

Regards

Jack

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR
Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

Pens for Sale

Posted Image

#28 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 19:54

Thanks for the great write up!

I just can't help but see this pen as gimmicky, especially considering the ridiculous price. I can't imagine paying more for this pen than for a resin Falcon.

#29 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:49

I just can't help but see this pen as gimmicky, especially considering the ridiculous price. I can't imagine paying more for this pen than for a resin Falcon.

Gimmick or not, it is a great pen that does yield a change in feel from rigid to soft.

The asking street price in Japan for the pen is 218USD. I think it is quite reasonable and the pen is very different in feel from a resin Falcon, which itself commands a street price of 130USD IIRC.

YMMV.

#30 joebobbillyfrank

joebobbillyfrank

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2014 - 13:53

Has anyone tried the FM nib option for this pen? I just got the F and I'm finding it just a bit too fine for my tastes. I saw some scans of a M nib writing and that one was too wide.