• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• troglokev

• Uncle Red

• ransky

Great review. Question, how is the action of the knob when you turn it? Is it stepped or smooth?

Thanks!

Edited by Inguz

Great review. Question, how is the action of the nob when you turn it? Is it stepped or smooth?

Thanks!

Smooth.

Nice review! The pen looks great. I have the older version and agree with you. It's a very nice pen to use.

Nikolaos

To give some idea of the variation available, here's a comparison of the following pens:

• Pilot Custom 74 with a soft fine nib;
  • Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with an FA nib
  • Pilot Justus 95, adjusted to soft
  • Pilot Justus 95, adjusted to hard.

fpn_1367126301__justus_8.jpg

Nice. I will be buying this pen, once Taizo starts auctioning them. BTW the pen is being offered in F/FM/M. Any inputs on which nib is the softest of the three? e.g. the SM nib on the 742 is softest IME of their S series.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Interesting feature.

Thanks for the review.

Is <B> nib available?

Edited by TMLee

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

well it looks like the barley for me.
Very nice review of a very interesting pen

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/9593/gwu1.jpg

(Pelikan 140 - OF ..... Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün)

Edited by Pterodactylus

The advertising I've seen pegs the pen's weight at 50g, putting it on the heavy side. Is that right? Thanks.

Wow, neat pen. I like the adjustable mechanism, it would be enough for a daily carry pen. A fine should show the variation best.

The advertising I've seen pegs the pen's weight at 50g, putting it on the heavy side. Is that right? Thanks.

measured just now with a new full cartridge in the pen: 24gms approximately.

Wow, neat pen. I like the adjustable mechanism, it would be enough for a daily carry pen. A fine should show the variation best.

actually the adjuster changes only the nail vs soft feeling, the nib exhibits no perceptible line variation on my M example, a detailed review follows.

Was just reading a description by KeatsPhD, and your excellent review answered many questions.

Is it also comparable to the Custom 74 in size and weight too? (have the 74 sf and don't want to have near duplicate pens, though this nib sure looks interesting!).

the pen is bigger than a 74. more of 912/742 size and girth, section is longer than both.

HTH

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Does anybody have this and the Pilot flacon metal or resin? I'd like to know if the Justus has the same amount of flex as the falcon or if it has less or possible more.

Hari, I'm confused.

The Fine nib on Troglokev's pen with a fine nib clearly shows line variation at the soft end of the dial (granted, not a lot).

I said (in part) "A fine should show the variation best."

You responded with "actually the adjuster changes only the nail vs soft feeling, the nib exhibits no perceptible line variation on my M example, a detailed review follows."

This confirms my point. Is that what you were saying?

Hari, I'm confused.

The Fine nib on Troglokev's pen with a fine nib clearly shows line variation at the soft end of the dial (granted, not a lot).

I said (in part) "A fine should show the variation best."

You responded with "actually the adjuster changes only the nail vs soft feeling, the nib exhibits no perceptible line variation on my M example, a detailed review follows."

This confirms my point. Is that what you were saying?

Hi, I don't know the nib width of Troglokev's pen. also Flex is very subjective as we know :) . So in my subjective opinion, with the amount of pressure I am willing to apply on the nib, I could see no line variation. The flow increases at the S end of the spectrum on my M nib. I think the FA nib gives a better line variation with same pressure variation.

FWIW, I also own a Resin Falcon with SB. I find it a totally non flex pen. it is a wonderful cushioned smooth wet writer, but not flex.

I think here also the case is same. whether you want your car suspension in sports mode or freeway cruise mode, the pen offers you the choice.

HTH.

Hi, I don't know the nib width of Troglokev's pen. also Flex is very subjective as we know :) . So in my subjective opinion, with the amount of pressure I am willing to apply on the nib, I could see no line variation. The flow increases at the S end of the spectrum on my M nib. I think the FA nib gives a better line variation with same pressure variation.

FWIW, I also own a Resin Falcon with SB. I find it a totally non flex pen. it is a wonderful cushioned smooth wet writer, but not flex.

I think here also the case is same. whether you want your car suspension in sports mode or freeway cruise mode, the pen offers you the choice.

HTH.

My pen is a fine point. The Justus gives more variation than my soft fine Custom 74, but it is semi flex at best, in terms of variation.

The primary intent of the adjustment is to modify the feel of the pen for people writing in Japanese. This matters more than you might think! This is also true of the FA nib, which needs the feed to be modified to cope with the flow requirements of calligraphic styles.

The variation that you get is something of an unintended consequence, but it makes it quite a nice pen for western writing.