#1 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:15

Caribou Coffee is pulling out of Michigan - Arghh!!

My favorite coffee stop, at the corner of Livernois and Walton, will be closing at Noon on Sunday, April 14. I've spent a lot of time there over the years, so this weekend is a farewell to an old friend. I plan to be there both Saturday and Sunday morning, and will be doing some pen re-saccing (unless they ask me to stop), some journaling, some reading - well, whatever I'd usually do there. Why don't you stop by and say hi? If you have a pen that needs some work, I will have my tools there along with some supplies. I'll bring my ink - maybe you'd like to try some. I'll bring my smallish pen collection to show off. I have a couple of Esterbrooks and an Eversharp that need new sacs, and a Parker 51 vac that is in the midst of repair, so they will get some attention.

On Saturday, April 13, I plan to get there around 8AM and stay much of the morning. On Sunday, I may get there a bit later, but plan to stay until the Noon closing time.

#2 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:49

Oh I am sorry to hear of this... The Roch-Walton site, (decorated with owl theme), was my favorite Caribou location too.
The staff was warmly engaging, though not intrusive. Definitely a comfy place to lurk, especially with a good cup of peasberry.
How early do you plan to be there Sunday? Can briefly stop in Sunday am maybe 10 ish.. Saturday may not be possible - depends upon work schedule.

Posted Image~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#3 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 16:36

Oh I am sorry to hear of this... The Roch-Walton site, (decorated with owl theme), was my favorite Caribou location too.
The staff was warmly engaging, though not intrusive. Definitely a comfy place to lurk, especially with a good cup of peasberry.
How early do you plan to be there Sunday? Can briefly stop in Sunday am maybe 10 ish.. Saturday may not be possible - depends upon work schedule.

I will probably get there around 8:00 on Saturday, and be there much of the morning. On Sunday, it will probably be a bit later. I'd guess around 9:00-9:30, and I'll stay until the end.

#4 Larry T

Larry T

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:08

I have to work Saturday, but I might be able to make it on Sunday. Too bad about Caribou, I prefer them to Starbucks and Bigby.

Larry

#5 Inkheart

Inkheart

Scribbler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:32

I'm barely half an hour from there and would also have loved to connect, but am tied up both mornings unfortunately. It would've been great to see your collection; lovely idea of yours to do this.

I'm so sad of to hear of this. If I recall correctly, Caribou is a Michigan-based chain. That shopping center has had a rough time since its anchor, Whole Foods, relocated, I'm thinking.

My old nest was at the Borders Books by Great Lakes Crossings; I still haven't recovered from that closure. Such a shame when we lose our haunts... :(

P.S. It's a MN based company; my bad. ;)

Edited by Inkheart, 12 April 2013 - 19:47.

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#6 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 19:49

I'm barely half an hour from there and would also have loved to connect, but am tied up both mornings unfortunately. It would've been great to see your collection; lovely idea of yours to do this.

I'm so sad of to hear of this. If I recall correctly, Caribou is a Michigan-based chain. That shopping center has had a rough time since its anchor, Whole Foods, relocated, I'm thinking.

My old nest was at the Borders Books by Great Lakes Crossings; I still haven't recovered from that closure. Such a shame when we lose our haunts... :(

P.S. It's a MN based company; my bad. ;)

Yes, I miss Borders still. Sorry you can't make the morning, but my afternoons this weekend are full.

Caribou has been by far the most comfortable coffee shops in the area. The Biggby stores tend to be smaller with far less seating space. I really dislike Starbucks' coffee. For some reason, it always gives me a headache.

I understand that some few of the Caribou stores will be kept open for a while then converted to Peet's Coffee and Tea. I have to assume that there's a rationale for the conversion, but I'm fairly cynical about what it could be. After all, Peet's has no presence in Michigan at this time, while Caribou has a name and following.

#7 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2013 - 20:45

So now reality intrudes. I will still be there Saturday morning, but only from a bit before 8AM to a bit before 9AM. I will then be back in the early afternoon, perhaps from 1-2:30 or so.

Sunday's schedule remains the same.

#8 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:45

...and reality intrudes again. My schedule has gone back to the original, so I will be at Caribou sometime between 8-8:30 on Saturday morning, and stay for a couple-three hours. Sunday remains unchanged.

#9 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:05

8AM comes, and I'm comfortably ensconced at Caribou. You can identify me by all of the pens lying about. Stop by and say hi!

#10 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2013 - 22:49

It was a very pleasant time at Caribou, although only one other member was able to drop by for a few minutes. I'm back again tomorrow morning, from 8AM until they close at Noon, so drop by if you get a chance.

#11 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 4,743 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:13

How can I not drop by for another fine hot mocha, and the sight of special fountain pen finds!
Again will be brief, but cheerful, and hope to see how your project turned out.
Might "Mildred" be there again? : )

#12 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:27

How can I not drop by for another fine hot mocha, and the sight of special fountain pen finds!
Again will be brief, but cheerful, and hope to see how your project turned out.
Might "Mildred" be there again? : )

She will be here, with all of her friends.

#13 Larry T

Larry T

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2013 - 13:01

I'll be there around 10, hope to see you there.

Larry

#14 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2013 - 16:34

<sigh> ...the Caribou is gone, and the event is over. I think everyone who attended had fun - there were some samplings of inks, some testings of pens, some giftings of paper, and some pleasant conversation and camaraderie.

Next time, it will have to be held somewhere else.

#15 Larry T

Larry T

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2013 - 17:12

We had a nice time, too bad the store is closing. I can't wait to try the Waterman Chuck fixed for me. We also had several potential pen people approach the table to ask questions. All in all a great day.

Larry

#16 Cognaticrotty

Cognaticrotty

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2013 - 17:27

I had a great time and an absolute blast meeting you all and working on pens!
Signature left blank per new rules...

#17 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 4,743 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 23:52

Great fun! Wish I could have stayed longer.
Thanks for the ink, and such exciting news about "Mildred" !
Too bad about this Caribou... we'll have to find new sites to set up pen camp.

#18 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,494 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 18:14

Folks- I was at the Sweetwaters Cafe last Sunday night with a couple of friends. As I greeted the owner, he asked me when we would have another "pen-gathering" there in his cafe.
I know last time we FPN folks met there, it was a pretty small gathering, but, does it make sense to hold a pen-posse gathering, sometime in the spring or the summer?

Please message me back-channel if you are interested.
Thank You.

#19 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2013 - 20:57

Folks- I was at the Sweetwaters Cafe last Sunday night with a couple of friends. As I greeted the owner, he asked me when we would have another "pen-gathering" there in his cafe.
I know last time we FPN folks met there, it was a pretty small gathering, but, does it make sense to hold a pen-posse gathering, sometime in the spring or the summer?

Thank You.

Speaking for myself, I generally don't need much of an excuse to want to visit Ann Arbor. I think arranging something in the next month or two would be a great idea.

#20 Larry T

Larry T

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2013 - 23:46

Thank You.

Speaking for myself, I generally don't need much of an excuse to want to visit Ann Arbor. I think arranging something in the next month or two would be a great idea.

Me too, my wife used to work there, we're always up for a trip to Ann Arbor.

LArry

#21 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,494 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 22:50

Larry and Chuck- sounds like a Pen Posse in Ann Arbor is a popular idea. So, how about I start a new topic about that?

#22 WayTooManyHobbies

WayTooManyHobbies

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:31

Larry and Chuck- sounds like a Pen Posse in Ann Arbor is a popular idea. So, how about I start a new topic about that?

Sounds good to me. I will check the schedule with my bride for weekends in May.

#23 Larry T

Larry T

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:48

We'll be out of town May 17-20, any other date should work for us.

Larry